Terminal Performance

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
Had a unique situation on my deer last weekend so thought I'd share. Shot this buck at less than 10 yards with a 7mm WSM using a 150gr Federal Fusion. Pushing 3,200 ft/s at the muzzle. Taken deer with several different factory cartridges with this setup, but my gun just likes the fusions especially beyond 200 yards. So here's what happened at ~20'.

First pic is the entrance hole. Second pic my finger is sticking through the exit. You can see the bullet about 6-8" below where it skirted inside the hide and stopped. Third pic is obviously the bullet.

So much for the argument of a 7mm being "too fast" and zipping right through them. Honestly I would've expected less damage and more penetration. Dozens of deer taken with this rifle and go figure that the first time not getting a pass through was the 2nd closest one shot. Super interesting to me.

20211114_144j628_copy_980x2016.jpg

2021t1114_144619_copy_980x2016.jpg

IMG_9764_copy_1152x1536y.jpg

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Looks like bullet held together well. That’s a heck of an entrance.

It’s very common for the higher velocity shots to penetrate less than longer lower velocity shots due to bullet expansion. I watch a lot of gel test videos and it holds true with pistols as well as rifles.

JGD

6 pointer
Feb 3, 2008
Nelson County
It’s pure fallacy that a bullet would be going so fast that it would zip right through a deer FMJ excluded.
I that short range the bullet impacted at tremendous velocity and violently expanded doing a lot of damage. Case in point. I’ve shot the 140 Nosler in my rifle since they came out and killed a train car full of deer. Every single bullet has existed until last year when I shot one at about 30 feet. Turned his insides to jelly and bullet was against offside hide. But the bullet did its job.

John

Nock

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2012
Butler co
I had a interesting experience with a crossbow the other day. The buck my wife shot was standing broadside. Bolt went in dead center ribs on left side. The bolt came out front side of rear right leg. And some how broke his rear leg. The bone almost came through the skin. And it was a mess. Been awhile since I’ve smelt that smell. It was a expandable blade I guess the right blade hooked a rib and turned it. Only thing I can figure.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
A lot of bullets would have completely fragmented at that range and velocity. Had the buck been out a few yards farther you would have most likely had a passthrough even with the shoulder shot.

Good to see how those fusions preform. I have a few boxes for my .243 and they group really well, I may start using them.

muddhunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2005
louisville
I had a interesting experience with a crossbow the other day. The buck my wife shot was standing broadside. Bolt went in dead center ribs on left side. The bolt came out front side of rear right leg. And some how broke his rear leg. The bone almost came through the skin. And it was a mess. Been awhile since I’ve smelt that smell. It was a expandable blade I guess the right blade hooked a rib and turned it. Only thing I can figure.

had a lot of energy left over after making a left turn to break a big bone like that. Crazy stuff.

luvtohunt

12 pointer
Sep 1, 2011
Eubank, Ky
Shot one with a crossbow one year slight quartered too, about an inch and a half in front of the crease through the shoulder blade. Lost the bolt or so I thought. Ended up finding a large section inside the cavity with the fletching, a small piece on the ground about 4 inches and when breaking her down I found the broadhead and about 4 inches of the arrow just under the hide laying at the knee on the opposite side back leg. How it got there I have no freaking clue. The crazy thing is, there was an entrance and exit at the shoulder/middle ribs. I guess when she wheeled the bolt re-entered her back leg after exiting her ribs as that is the only explanation I have.

Oct 9, 2016
BG, ky
Bonded bullets expand more with higher velocity. Perform best with highest velocity, more expansion, more energy is lost. Lead tipped would’ve completely fragmented on impact at that velocity. Lead tip bullets perform better with less velocity at longer range.

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
I say you hit bone and caused most of the damage . I have a 7 mm Mag Rugar and it has always made a decent kill with little damage .
Can be the bullet you used but I say you hit bone and done shockwave damage.

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
My God man. The entrance looks like you were shooting missles at them. My only explanation is that the bullet expelled all its energy at close range before totally expanding. If that doesn't explain it, then check the box as it may have been broad axe tips you were shooting.

Latest posts