Tenn redback rabbits

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by turkeyhunter91, Jan 8, 2019.

1. turkeyhunter91

turkeyhunter91 10 pointer

Apr 3, 2007
    I have a couple beagle pups that I'm trying to train. I used to start my young pups trailing with a dead rabbit but i havent found 1. 1 of the pups is 10 months old and she acts smart but I dont think she knows what to do yet. I read that alot of people use Tenn red back to train. Has anyone had any experience training with them and does anyone know where I could buy a couple? Thanks

2. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

In my opinion, 10 months old is too old for a pet rabbit. Your Rabbit will be dead within 5 minutes. I would find someone with a starting pen and they will be ready in a week or two.
    Where are you located?

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I agree. A training pen is your best bet.

4. turkeyhunter91

Apr 3, 2007
    I am located in morehead. I was thinking of putting a rabbit in a roll cage and trying that. Do you think that would help anything or just be ahead to find a run lot? I also have a pup that is almost 3 months. Thanks

5. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    You’d be better off taking your pup to the field now. I don’t know what you or the pup would learn with caged game. I wouldn’t worry about shooting any rabbits but rather just getting him out. I would not take both pups together at the same time either.

Running your pup with a solid trustworthy old hound would help, too. Most beagle hounds will start running out of curiosity at 6-12 months old. They won’t be rock stars but they’ll likely bark a little on track. Don’t be surprised if the first thing your hound runs is a deer. That’s easily corrected with a training collar.

6. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Also, find some yard rabbits at night. Walk your pup over to where the rabbit was at and they will start figuring out what that scent is all about and how much they like it. I have started pups like this several times.

mudhole crossing and bondhu like this.
  7. turkeyhunter91

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for the tips. I have took her out a few times and for not being out much I am pretty happy. I havent even packed a gun yet. This morning we actually jumped some deer and she never took after them, i was kinda surprised but I'm glad she didn't. Sunday was the first time I had took her out because I just got her 2 weeks ago and i wanted to make sure she wouldn't try to head home. One of us jumped 1 and she gollowed the track just a short distance but never barked. We have cut back on big jobs for the winter so im hoping to get her out every chance I get.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  8. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    I remember an old guy who always kept some great rabbit dogs. He told me you don't have to train good stock beagles to hunt rabbits. They already come ready to do that on their own. The more experience they get the better they are. He said you need to teach them to hunt rabbits with YOU. To do what you tell them and follow your commands without hesitation. To that end, the more you take them out and interact with them in the field so they know you are their pack leader, the better. Whether you see a rabbit or not. In time, if you cover enough rabbit habitat, you'll find the rabbits.

bondhu and Chilly like this.
  9. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Well said. Handling is a key factor to my pack. They handle or get strictly dealt with until they realize what I want from them. I know a guy that struggles with his pack the majority of the time he hunts. He calls for his dogs and they wont even acknowledge that he is talking to them. Not gonna happen with me. I'll pull the Garmin card on them.

10. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    You can train the handle into them, but what they are going to be as far as hunting goes is determined by genetics. They either have it or they don’t.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    mudhole crossing, bondhu and Chilly like this.
  11. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    A med paced older dog is ur best friend for start pups. If they have got it in them, it won't take much. Teach them handling and a good collar(mind changer for off game) and ur set.

12. littletom

littletom 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    Knob Lick, Ky
    I have had several beagles over the last 25 years off and on. Some really just didn't get it even with broke dogs. I now have a pair of 10 year old males. I bought them around Christmas when they were 8 months old. At that time i had plenty of time. Went almost everyday that january with just them. They ran alot of rabbits i killed 17 over them that month. We had a lot of deer ordeals but they learned. They are getting pretty darn old now and show it. But have had several hundred rabbits shot over them. One year shot 150 over them. Thats what worked for me.

13. turkeyhunter91

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for all the tips. I have had her out 6 days in the last week and she seems to be getting better. I found a dead rabbit and made some trails and she tracked it down and was getting better every time. I honestly don't think we are jumping any. I know there are rabbits here but when they get under the i beams and other metal it's hard to get them to come out. I have took her to a couple other farms also but we haven't had any luck and I wasn't finding much sign. She is tracking and hunting, she's not just walking around playing or staying under my feet. I will prob end up trying to find a run lot some where to take her to. She had only been out a couple times before I bought her but I have been taking her about every chance I get.

14. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Just keep taking her. Rabbits will start congregating in areas closer to the end of January and early February with the breeding season. You should be able to find more rabbits closer together which will help her stay interested. She just needs exposure to more rabbits.