Tell me I am not cruel?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by whitetailpredator, Feb 4, 2007.

1. whitetailpredator

whitetailpredator 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2007
    Leitchfield, KY
    The Catalyst that started this issue..I was driving to work this afternoon, and I get behind this poor ol man driving 30 mph in a 55..and could barley hold in on the road then. So you guys seem to be opinionated and educated..so I figured I would get your take on this? I think once you reach a certain age (not for sure what that age is) but you should have to take your drivers test over again, or a Dr. can declare you medically unable to drive..does this feeling make me cruel? 3 quick examples off the top of my head..and all could possibly happen at anytime. Your driving down the road, doing the speed limit, pop over a blind hill and an elderly person isn’t for sure if they want to park it in the road or turn in their drive..are you lucky enough to stop short or nobody coming in the other lane? Or do you rear end them? Case 2: Papaw goes to the drug store..gets his meds..gets in the car..confuses the gas with the brake..or thinks he’s in reverse but he’s really in drive..so he ends up with a 87’ cutlass classic in the middle of the drug store and isn’t for sure what happened? Case 3: Your kid and my kid are in the front yard playing kick ball..the ball rolls into the road..we don’t know what happened..if the elderly person didn’t see them or couldn’t reach fast enough..? All of these real possibilities, think of your self when your older..would you rather live with the fact of taking public transportation or riding with a friend..or living with what happens in case 3?

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Add another quick example...this 20 year old who thinks they are a NASCAR driver goes out onto a PUBLIC highway and drives like hes afraid he will get passed by someone. There are a lot less accidents caused by older drivers then younger ones.

3. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    There are bad drivers in every age group. However, I think drivers over the age of 70 are rediculous. They are just as hazardous as most teenagers. Yes, I think you should have to retake the drivers test at 65 or 70, including an eye test. Their reaction time, eye sight, and hearing are generally not up to par to be a safe driver. There are people of that age that ARE capable of driving just like there are teenagers that are safe drivers. But, I think there needs to be a test to take 80 Year old grandpas doing 27 MPH on the highway and running red lights, etc..

4. whitetailpredator

Jan 30, 2007
    Leitchfield, KY
    Very true..thats why they pay twice as much for car insurance! But you get good with the bad in all age groups..I am sure me and you both can find story after story of either a teenager or an elderly person having a wreck, or either causing a wreck ect...I dont have the stats..but I will have to do some research to see the % of teenagers that drive compared to the % of wrecks they have compared to how much they drive..cause when I got my license..I kept the roads hott. But how many times have you got on I-65 and there be an RV holding up traffic..? That has a old man behind it thats trying to make love to the stearing wheel cause he cant see the road? Likewise we have all been passed by kids that think they are jimmy johnson..but I just really wanted to see what yall thought about the issue

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I think some states have just the retest requirements your in favor of. Ky is not one of them at this time. Next time you are behind that slow driver and the motor home check the plate to see what state they are from. So if not from Ky they may have passed a retest at one time.

My Dad used to cuss like crazy at the old guys doing 40 mph in a 60 mph zone. Last time I rode with him before he passed away we were burning the road up...doing 40 mph on the way to town...:D

6. th5isback5

th5isback5 8 pointer

Jul 21, 2006
    I dont think thats a cruel thought at all, They should have to take thier test after a certin age, But what about that insurance crap, im a 17 yrd male, if me and a 17 female where to drive the same car my insurance would be higher, all because im a guy, thats a bunch of bull. Nothin against women but it should be the other way around, girls are more likely to freak out when their about to wreck, some guys might to, but i think a guy could control a car a little better. we've had 4 or 5 car wrecks at my school this year, 3 of them bieng girls, all of them totaled thier cars out.

7. whitetailpredator

Jan 30, 2007
    Leitchfield, KY
    most girls I know just throw their hands up cause they dont think they can do anything to keep from wrecking..one of my good friends is a state trooper..and between him and his fellow troopers across the state..they found that most speeding tickets they wrote were to college aged females. But I think that insurance companies believe that males are on the road more then females..how many dates have you been on and the girl drive? me...zero!

8. gwhilikerz

gwhilikerz Banned

Oct 16, 2004
    No it isn't a bunch of bull. Young guys tend to think they are the best drivers in the world and they can handle any situation better than anyone else. It isn't true. Most of the time the kid's mind is on something else while driving. Do you drive with the rap music blasting from your car? Do you find it impossible to listen to the music without singing along and tapping your foot while pounding the steering wheel or playing air drums? You have been driving for how long? Maybe a year. That makes you an expert. Sorry kid, but when you put another 30 yrs behind the wheel then you will know there are careless drivers of all ages on the roads. I took the same driver's test you did. I have a license. Get off my bumper:D

9. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    Girls as a whole aren't as confident. Or as good of drivers whe put in a wreck situation for the most part. Believe me I ride with 20 year old girls all the time and they drive much faster and more careless than I do. Hell, my 19 year old cousin (girl) has had several speeding tickets and drives 65 to 70 everywhere she goes.

10. eDuck

eDuck 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2004
    Webster Co
    If you guys live long enough you will be the old fart driving too slow that everyone else is talking about.

I can here it know, "Yea, but when I get that old I'll blah, blah, blah, spit, spit, sputter, sputter, spit!!". Well, it ain't true - you won't.

Not trying to stir you up, but help you get a little perspective.

11. 6.5x55swedish

6.5x55swedish 12 pointer

May 27, 2005
    Lexington
    Better to come up over a hill and be behind an old person doing 40 in a 55 than it is to come up over the hill behind an old person walking.

12. WBBP

WBBP 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    1) Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for teenagers.

2) 16 year-olds have higher crash rates than drivers of any other age.

3) 16-year-olds are three times more likely to die in a motor vehicle crash than the average of all drivers.

4) 3,467 drivers age 15-20 died in car crashes in 2005.

5) Drivers age 15-20 accounted for 12.6 percent of all the drivers involved in fatal crashes and 16 percent of all the drivers involved in police-reported crashes in 2005.

Source = RMIIA

13. WBBP

WBBP 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    In a 1997 NHTSA study, older people made up 9 percent of the population but accounted for 14 percent of all traffic fatalities and 17 percent of all pedestrian fatalities. NHTSA's "Traffic Safety Facts 1997: Older Population" (DOT HS 808 769) reports that:

In 1997, more than 24 million people in the United States were over 70 years of age.
    Representing 9 percent of the population in 1997, the 70-and-older age group grew 2.1 times faster from 1987 to 1997 than the total population.
    In 1986 older drivers were 7 percent of licensed drivers; in 1996 they were 19 percent of licensed drivers.
    Of traffic fatalities involving older drivers, 82 percent happened in the daytime, 71 percent occurred on weekdays, and 75 percent involved a second vehicle.
    When a crash involved an older driver and a younger driver, the older driver was 3 times as likely as the younger driver to be the one struck. Moreover, 28 percent of crash-involved older drivers were turning left when they were struck-- 7 times more often than younger drivers were struck while making left turns.
    Older drivers involved in fatal crashes and fatally injured older pedestrians claimed the lowest proportion of intoxication--defined as a blood alcohol concentration of 0.10 grams per deciliter or higher.
    While only 55 percent of adult vehicle occupants (ages 18 to 69) involved in fatal crashes were using restraints at the time of the crash, 70 percent of fatal- crash-involved older occupants were using restraints.
    "On the basis of estimated annual travel, the fatality rate for drivers 85 and over is nine times as high as the rate for drivers 25 through 69 years old."

14. In the Courier-Journal either it was yesterday or in Sunday's paper the same article was published and reported...National Transportation Safety division reported that after many studies and tests young men are the worst drivers on the road...not older driver's or young women as most people believe....

15. th5isback5

th5isback5 8 pointer

Jul 21, 2006
    gwhilikerz=No it isn't a bunch of bull. Young guys tend to think they are the best drivers in the world and they can handle any situation better than anyone else. It isn't true. Most of the time the kid's mind is on something else while driving. Do you drive with the rap music blasting from your car? Do you find it impossible to listen to the music without singing along and tapping your foot while pounding the steering wheel or playing air drums? You have been driving for how long? Maybe a year. That makes you an expert. Sorry kid, but when you put another 30 yrs behind the wheel then you will know there are careless drivers of all ages on the roads. I took the same driver's test you did. I have a license. Get off my bumper:D

What you said isnt true at all, for one bub, ive been driving since i was a tiny little fart, heck i used to sit in my moms lap and drive the car around foodlands parkin lot in owensboro. I was driving dirt cars before i even had my license, some young men may think they are the best drivers ever, but alot dont, Im also very doubtful in the fact that you took the same drivers test if you've been behind the wheel for 30 years, just dont think ya did,Im in my county so far, females have had more recks then males, in fact i gotta big long black mark in front of mcdonalds in hartford where i had to lock my truck up going home one day from school because some gurl thought she could whip her big ol car out thier before i got to her, needless to say fingers where flyin,:D so ill stay off ya bumper, ill just go around ya:D