Teal

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Capttrae, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Since I mentioned teal in the other thread, what do I need to look for when looking for a place to teal hunt? Right now I've got acess to a couple farm ponds that I have no idea if they may or may not have teal on. Thx in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mrdux

mrdux Guest

In my experience, teal (especially bluewingers) are the 1st ducks to come thru KY and last to come back north. The green wingers are a little later. With the 50s this coming week there may be a few around but I would consider them a bonus if you can kill some.They like the shallow slough areas over big open water.

3. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    If you are meaning early season next year check every pond you can first week of September. Alot of times teal are already gone before it comes in though. But woodrows are fun shoot. Look on small rivers/creeks and ponds close to them. I like to find small ponds close to rivers. Woodies are a little harder to decoy being the reason. So if you find a spot they are on first week of Sept, they will be there come season. I dont use calls or decoys just sit and wait. My favorite hunts of the year honestly and also the easiest as they are everywhere.

4. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    Lakes with big shallow mud flats. Teal like open areas. They'll hit ponds too, but usually ones that don't have a lot of brush around them. You'll sometimes find them where wood ducks are but not always. We killed a hen green wing this morning. She was lost.

5. OHRIVERHUNTER

OHRIVERHUNTER 8 pointer

Nov 13, 2008
    Louisville Ky
    Shot 6 teal at Ballard this weekend shallow water with millet and corn is what we were hunting.

6. Birdx33

Birdx33 Spike

Dec 16, 2014
    I've killed teal in fields, ponds, and sloughs. Really hard to say, scouting is about it.

7. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    That's where I run into the problems, I'm all about scouting, only thing is I'm only home for short amounts of time, splitting my time between AL w/ my son and being here time gets short. Nobody that I'm friends w/ duck hunts except one guy and he won't be back untill late October, bc he charter fishes. Guess I'll just have to hope for the best in the couple ponds I have in mind and look around some the first couple days I'm off. Thx for the info y'all. It's appreciated.

8. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    You can "scout" year round. Find places that they like in Feb/March and it's about a 75% chance they will like those places for the same reasons during the seasons if the conditions are the same.

Hunting pressure is a major effect on duck behavior but the Spring mating and protein gorge can still indicate ducky spots if you keep your head on a swivel. Working on a river boat can have it's advantages so keep notes year round and remember where your see activity

9. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Oh ok thx, I hadn't even thought about the correlation between spring/fall places. Honestly didn't know there was one. Thank u!!