Taylorsville lake

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Jeepin, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Jeepin

Jeepin 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2011
    Spencer
    Anyone having any luck catfishin or bass fishin? if so what seems to be working good? thanks guys!

2. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I went a few days ago and did not catch anything. I saw 3 boats with jugs but none were moving. On another forum they are saying the night bite is hot by Settler's Trace and the hump

3. Jeepin

Jeepin 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2011
    Spencer
    hmmm thanks for the update, i know my uncle was catching some nice cats a few weeks ago at night

4. justwannafish

justwannafish 6 pointer

Mar 26, 2009
    louisville, ky
    We went jug fishing the past two sundays there. First time jug fishing. We did pretty good the first time out, but yesterday the bite was slow. Fishing in the Van Burren area.

Would that be for hybrids or for catfish? I seen people fishing the hump with lights at night fishing for hybrids.

5. Jeepin

Jeepin 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2011
    Spencer
    van buren has always done me will have some property right next to the boat dock

6. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    When jugging I always hit Van Buren....never had a reason to fish anywhere else. Caught 47 in 4 hours a few years ago...by myself. It was a busy 4 hours too. My typical catch is around 20-30 fish for 3-4 hours. I've only went jugging once this year and we (my boy and I) just caught 12. I attempted drift fishing for cats around horseshoe bend when I went a few days ago. It didn't take long to figure out that it wasn't going to work out. I lost 4 rigs to hang ups in less than an hour so I switched to trolling for hybrids. Never got a bite but about 1/3 the way out into the channel, my sonar picked up so many fish my entire screen was black. I was excited and waiting for a bite but it never came. Apparently a few other people were excited too b/c they kept trolling over it as well. Two boats were anchored close by too. I will remember that spot and try it beneath a slip bobber next time.

7. Jeepin

Jeepin 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2011
    Spencer
    ha man your giving away the sweet spot! haha but yeah next time i see a boat out there for a period of time i will no who it is..

8. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I really don't worry about sharing info about a lake. People help me out and show me their sweet spots and so I do the same. I just wish more people would. I'm new to crappie fishing and need some places to hit but it seems "mum" is the word.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  9. Jeepin

Jeepin 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2011
    Spencer
    well we appreciate the info man!

10. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    i went about a month ago, had a few hits but only landed one bass, in the left corner of the dam under a log.

11. justwannafish

justwannafish 6 pointer

Mar 26, 2009
    louisville, ky

Where exactly is horseshoe bend? I'm sure by a map it has to be obvious, but where is it in terms of boat ramps? I've head of good catches of crappie in late spring there. The best ive done for crappie in Taylorsville was in jacks creek. It is almost the only place i fish for crappie there. Towards the back of ashes creek is another good spot if you find the submerged cover. Main lake points with cover seem to work in the fall. Starting fishing for crappie at Rough River, and never looked back. Night and day difference. But Taylorsville is loaded with cats. Van burren seems to be it. Shallow water mud flats and warm temps. I'm not catching monsters, but nice eater size. How deep do you run your jugs?

12. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    From Chowning, it's about a 5-10 minute ride towards Settlers. And yeah...on a map is very obvious. Besides Van buren, Horseshoe Bend and the Hump, I don't know a lot of places on Taylorsville. I may try to look up some info on Jack's Creek...thanx for the tip. In regards to Van Buren, 7-8 years ago I was catching up to 3-4 pounders..not much more....and most were around 2 lbs. The last 4 years or so I've been catching a lot more in the 7-8 lb range and a few at 15 lbs.....nothing bigger though. I run exactly at 5 foot and fish in 6-9 foot of water so the bait is always within striking range. A slight wind will help you cover more water and find the fish. My noodles don't drift as well as my 1 liter Mt. Dew jugs. The noodles look better and more "professional" but I caught more on the bottles b/c they floated around more.

I went to Rough 2 weeks ago trolling but got rained out. My uncle is building a cabin there and gonna give me a key to it so I'll be spending more time there too. But man, there's a lot of traffic on it. Any spots on Rough you care to share? The cabin where I stay is on Cabin Creek I think....not too far from the island.