Taylorsville lake access

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by turret_plug, Mar 29, 2011.

1. turret_plug

turret_plug 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2008
    Fort Knox, KY
    Going to Taylorsville lake this weekend. Could someone please point me in the right direction as to where to go to launch that won't be crowded to death by tournament bass fishermen? Are there boat launch fees for using the ramp?

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Most of the tournaments launch at either possum ridge (state park) or settlers trace (marina). The other two ramps are van buren ( you have to be careful with this one, there are shallow areas and lots of trash after recent rains) and Chownings lane. Chownings is the most remote and by far the quietest. Do a google search for directions, it's kind of out of the way. If you don't see it let me know. I don't think there is a pay box at chownings either.

3. turret_plug

turret_plug 6 pointer

Nov 4, 2008
    Fort Knox, KY
    Awesome..... Chowning Lane looks ok to me, and certainly worth a try. I may scope out Van Buren, I have a flat bottom Carolina Skiff...... so shallow is not a problem. Are all the lake rules posted clearly there, or should I try to find some read ahead material before I get there. I already had some DFW trouble once this season...... don't necessarily want to give anymore money to KY!!

4. APS

APS Fawn

I am planning on going to Taylorsville next week while the kids are on Spring Break. Does anyone know what the water conditions are there?

5. TRAILMASTER

TRAILMASTER 8 pointer

Feb 12, 2004
    Nelson, Co.
    Chowning lane was closed still as of monday.

6. justwannafish

justwannafish 6 pointer

Mar 26, 2009
    louisville, ky
    haven't beem there this year yet, but settlers trace shouldn't be that bad this time of year. It's when it warms up enough for the jet and water skiers that can make it a mad house, especially with the gas prices going up this year, people will be looking for a place near their city homes. There is also a store at the top of the hill at settlers trace, but someone told me it might have closed down? Down the road not to far from settlers is van burren which is very shallow, but the water should be up plenty, just enough to hide the stick ups and stumps so be careful. It's not your flat bottom boat to worry about, but your lower unit. I've always found Van Burren to be not that populated during any time of the year. More bank fisherman than boaters. There is great cat fishing around there this time of the year, and there is a white bass run, never tried it but want to give it a shot, if you head towards the bridge and head waters. Now i have to post a thread and see if anyone can give me some info on the white bass migration and the best time to try em. Good luck. Plenty of bass in Taylorsville, just not many lunkers although me and my girlfriend managed to catch a couple of 5 lbers out of there which i was told was trophies for that lake.

7. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Just came through there this morning. The store at settlers trace is still closed. We heard the owners packed up and moved back to where ever they used to live. There were boats heading down toward both that ramp and possum ridge ramp. There were no signs at the road that ends at van buren, assume it is open and ready to go.

8. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville

a 5lb bass in taylorsville is about as rare as a Ky mountain lion.