Taxidermy school recommendations???

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by Dev, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

Jan 3, 2005
    Den tree in Northern KY
    Do any of you seasoned taxidermist have a school recommendation? I'm considering a career change and I have seen the need, where I live, for a good taxidermist. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

2. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Can't help on the school but this area needs more as well. I was talking with a friend the other day...we counted 7 local taxidermists that have either died, retired or just got out of that line of work, in the last two years.
    I was told 1 year lead time and about double what I had been paying. I was lucky to get it to him before he was full. That was Monday am after opening w/e of rifle.

3. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

I used to piddle with it years ago...not many "schools" around. It's just one of them things....you can buy tons of education etc,...it's out there. He may or may not chime in but we happen to have one of the best game head guys in the business right here in the forum,...Big John from Stearns KY. Perhaps you can contact him and see how much it would be worth to have him walk you through a deer head.

Also since you are familiar with the forum environment give these guys a visit. Overall good forum with good folks,..don't spend as much time in it as I use to but there is mountains of info here
    https://www.taxidermy.net/

The "breakthrough manuals " are a great place to start reading,..I still have mine.
    https://www.mckenziesp.com/Breakthrough-Manuals-C5624.aspx

Good luck,..-Aaron

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Dev and 1wildcatfan like this.
  4. Dev

Dev 10 pointer

Jan 3, 2005
    Den tree in Northern KY
    aaronc thank you very much for the info!!!

aaronc likes this.