Target buck wounded

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by brent19, Nov 24, 2021.

1. captfire

captfire 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2015
    it happens i did the same thing about 3 years ago knocked him down he got up went in the wood about 30 yards we found were he layed down blood every were trailed him about 100 yards no blood i still feel sick about it but it happens . i shoot a 308 with 150 grain soft point winchester ...

2. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    The 243 is a great round and very deadly with a well placed shot and a proper bullet. When I was a kid I killed deer with a 223, although I don’t recommend it, I never lost a deer with it.
    But I will say I choose to hunt with a larger caliber such as 270, and although the bigger gun is no excuse for making a poor shot, the bigger gun can make the difference on finding that deer when I do screw up and make a less than perfect shot.

Feedman, Tankt, EdLongshanks and 2 others like this.
  3. web splitter

web splitter 8 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    Just little margin for error. 3 factors...bullet size, type of bullet and shot placement.
    Shot placement alone would have likely got the job done but without it, at least 1 of the other 2 variables on your side would have helped.
    I personally think the VMax was the weakest link in the equation.
    I would not personally pick up a .243 for deer but obviously a lot of people love it and with success to back that up.
    Poor shot placement with a terrible bullet choice and the .243 just doesn't have enough umpf to make up for that.

Edit to elaborate a little more...high shoulder with a vmax is the issue. High shoulder with a corelokt, accubond, partition, etc and deer would have likely been found. Although I would have personally shot for the vitals even with those 3 bullet choices and hoped for an exit, blood trail, etc.
    I would have never pick the .243 with VMax combo for deer but I suppose if someone handed me one and said "go kill a deer" I would (and I'm not a neck shot fan) probably try to shoot it in the neck.
    I wasn't trying to justify poor shot placement by using a large caliber in my original response. After all it's not like he was trying to shoot a deer that was walking away in the buty. I have no clue if the op was aiming for the shoulder or vitals but either way and you're not likely to get an exit out of that bullet choice.
    Next time simply pick a bullet that's up for the task.
    Sorry for the narrative

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    RLWEBB and Campfire like this.
  4. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    With the right bullet there is problem.

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I don't blame you. If I shot like you did, I'd use 00 buckshot and no shots beyond 20 yards.

Feedman, barney, redjackson and 7 others like this.
  6. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I’m hearing a lot of the justification for needing bigger caliber as compensation for bad shots. I know things can get exciting and might be hard to keep the crosshairs steady but that doesn’t mean you pull the trigger and pray

barney, Brody, RLWEBB and 5 others like this.
  7. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Killed a truck load of deer with a 243. Always shot lead nosed ammo in 95 or 100 grain though. Only shot varmints with the smaller grained ammo. There is no compensation for marginal shots. No matter the caliber or load. Heavier caliber doesn’t justify taking marginal shots period. I hunt with a 30.06 now and killed a few with it as well but they weren’t any more dead than the others I’ve put in the freezer. To address the issue the OP had, I personally think it was a poor choice of ammo for the situation. Not sure when you shot it but you owe it to the deer to do more than walk and look with your own two eyes. Put together a group if nothing else but call a dog owner while you still got a possibility to find it would be my suggestion. If you got rain like I do it might be too late but still worth a call.

barney and RLWEBB like this.
  8. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Correct 100%. But, so many folks do just that. I've got family that does it..they get brown in the scope and start slinging lead. Then winder why they have to track one for umpteen miles, or worse yet never find it. I'm confident in my shooting ability..and my weapons. Over the years I could have probably doubled my kill #s by taking some marginal shots..but that's just not my style. Bad shots do happen though..and I've had my share of mishaps over the years..I've never once wished I had a bigger caliber in those instances.

Onthedge likes this.
  9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I agree. A .243 will kilt them dead as a hammer….but why not go bigger if you can? I could pull a large trailer and load with a mini van or Honda Accord as long as I drive safely….but why?

10. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    :D
    I almost choked on a wheat thin reading that

Feedman and barney like this.
  11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Why not use a .22 rim fire?

12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Wheat thins are deelish. I eat them by the box. Pisses my wife off.

GTbowhunter, Feedman and Redlined like this.
  13. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I killed 2 deer with my .270 last Monday. The one shot in the lungs went 40 yards. The other took a few steps. But I’ll say this: the .270 is loud as hell and my Ruger M77 has recoil.

In 2001 or so, I shot a good buck with a 150 grain something or other right behind the shoulder. I don’t remember other than it was a Winchester product and had an elk on the box. The bullet left a neat little hole on entrance and exit. The deer ran over 300 yards and the tracking job took until after lunch, but we found him. That was a learning experience. I’ve stuck with 130 grain bullets for KY deer and been fine ever since.

I’ve killed 6 or so deer with the .6mm using 95 grain Ballistic Tips. I found all of the deer. Recoil is mild, the sound is mild and the deer died. Although I would’ve preferred a bit more of a blood trail. In my experience the .6mm isn’t the problem. The gun I have is the problem. It has a 27” target heavy barrel on it. I suspect it was built as a ground hog gun. So, it’s cumbersome and I don’t use it unless I’m hunting out of a blind or stable platform. I’ve never felt under-gunned for KY deer.

barney likes this.
  14. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    this is you...
    899C4A27-A461-4A08-AE99-71F7BB9B5B56.jpeg

Feedman, woodsman92, barney and 3 others like this.
  15. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    If I can shoot a squirrel in the head 30 yards up the tree I think it would be an ethical option

Little FR likes this.