Target buck wounded

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by brent19, Nov 24, 2021 at 7:22 PM.

1. brent19

brent19 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2003
    Richmond,Ky
    Shot my target buck last Sat morning and no where to be found and no blood other than a quarter size found at the drop site. Took the shot with a 243 75gr ballistic tip vmax. 80yrd shot and he dropped instantly to the ground, laid there for 2-3min, got up and was limping bad in the front back into the woods. Gave him 20-30min before i walked down to where i last seen him. Soon as i made it to wood line a deer bolted down in the holler. Im sure it was him but i couldnt see because the area is so thick. I pulled out and come back last Sunday and walked down to the bottom of holler and walked around looking and no deer to be seen. Im sick that i wounded a deer. First time this has happened to me. Ive never not made a good shot and quick recovery. I realize the 75gr was a bit small but ive killed many deer with it before. The way he was limping i cant think that he isnt dead somewhere. I mean he dropped instantly when i shot. I was not aiming at a leg and it was a wide open field shot so no danger in hitting something to deflect the bullet. Whats everyones thoughts? Pretty sure its a shoulder shot that did not exit. Zero blood in the woods, only spot was where he dropped and like i said it was the size of a quarter.
    Thanks

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    That bullet in the shoulder probably didn't kill him, IMO. Don't beat yourself up, it happens, and it won't be the last time it happens unless you quit hunting.

GroundPound and Grago like this.
  3. Dropped instantly. Laid there 2 to 3 minutes? With blood? Deer is dead. Doesn't mean it wont be very hard or impossible to find, though. It happens. Coyotes got fed, circle of life, etc, etc. But, I know. It sucks.

4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    The Hornady V-MAX line of ammunition was created for varmint control, as the bullet has a thin jacket and was designed to fragment on impact with a target, even at low velocities.

5. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    Just curious why you didn’t shoot him again if he was limping away?

if he’s still moving on his feet keep shooting.

I’m betting he’s a dead deer. Keep looking. Hoping you find him!

EdLongshanks and Grago like this.
  6. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    It happens, probably will live, suggest use a bigger caliber rifle, I use a 7mm rem mag, All deer have dropped in there tracks with that gun, little overkill but it hammers them

childersb24, Cole505, Tankt and 3 others like this.
  7. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    Sounds like a high shoulder hit. the shock to the spine put him down but didn't kill him. Keep looking and throw some cams up to see if hes still around.

DBNF HNTR, Scruff, DaveO and 3 others like this.
  8. Onthedge

Onthedge 6 pointer

Dec 11, 2020
    South East Ky
    75 gr Vmax out of a 243 are for varmint hunting, just my opinion.

9. Rutman76

Rutman76 Fawn

Aug 15, 2021
    Georgia
    Chunk that 243…. Get something that packs a bigger punch. Too many deer lost with that very marginal caliber.

xilk123 and Tankt like this.
  10. brent19

brent19 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2003
    Richmond,Ky

I had already lowered my gun and was descending down the tree with a climbing stand. He dropped and kicked twice and never moved for what seemed like 5min. It was probably more like the 2-3min but seemed longer. I just knew he was dead but it was a mistake for rushing down the tree.

11. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    If a 243 pinned him to the ground and sent him limping away I'm leaning toward he's dead...somewhere. Not the kind of round or caliber that typically "stuns" on a high pass through hit and then they live. That bullet should have done some fatal internal damage but may require a dog or serious grid search to find.

Gooch and JR PORTER like this.
  12. brent19

brent19 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2003
    Richmond,Ky
    I agree, i usually hunt with a 7mag but i had my 243 which is my varmint gun and just decided to take it instead. Another dumb idea on my part i know. I didnt make it home till late Friday night from a bird hunting trip out west and i didnt have time to run to my dads and grab the 7 out of the gun safe. You can bet i wont make the mistake again! Lol. Ive shot many deer with the 243 and never thought anything different.

13. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013

I wouldn’t say it was a mistake and I by no means am judging. Just an unfortunate set of events. But I think you keep looking and run cameras. You’ll find him one way or another.

wishing you luck.

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    BS. Nothing wrong with a .243, just poor shot placement, and ammo selection.

BowOnly, barney, CRFmxracer and 17 others like this.