Talk to me about Red Dot scopes on turkey guns

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by RLWEBB, May 13, 2021.

1. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Anyone running a red dot or halo optic on their turkey rig? I’m starting to think about putting one on my Encore 20 gauge. I’ve been looking at couple Vortex options, as well as Leupold and the Holosun 507C. So if you’re using one tell me about the pros/cons. And if you don’t use one what are your thoughts on them. Thanks all.

2. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I switched to a red dot (Vortex Venom) last season. I'm getting older and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Too many misses. Since putting on the red dot, I'm 2 for 2. For tired old eyes, I highly recommend it.

RLWEBB likes this.
  3. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Thanks! You like the Venom pretty good? What was your procedure to get it dialed in?

4. Ash12

Ash12 10 pointer

Oct 21, 2007
    Sig Sauer also had a red dot avaliable that I would take a look at. Palmetto State has them on sale at times for $150.00. I believe their warranty is the same as Vortex's as well. I had cheap ones when I was younger and for the most part they worked fine from what I remember. I stopped using them because they were cheap, and I got tired of mounting them etc. . With that being said I might consider getting one if I had a dedicated turkey gun. But on the flip side, if you are running TSS 9 shot with a choke that isn't crazy tight, is it needed?

5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    They have windage and elevation dials you adjust, just smaller than a regular scope. Several $10 shells later you're good to go.

RLWEBB likes this.
  6. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    First, to address Wildcats comment......I sighted it in with low brass dove shells. Much more economical that way !! As for sighting it in, there was an issue. Couldn't get it "high" enough. Found they make a shim. Long story short, Vortex sent me a longer screw and were great to work with. Other than the issue with the shim requirement, it was a piece of cake. Simple up/down and left/right adjustments. Once I got it dialed in with the low brass shells, I fired 2 turkey shells. I will add this......there is a "sunburst" effect on the red dot. It's something to do with your eyes (astigmatism). Not everyone has it, but I do. That is annoying at first, but it doesn't affect performance.

RLWEBB likes this.
  7. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Red dot was to blurry for my eyes so went with a scope and diamond reticle works great.

Grago, RLWEBB and Dark Cloud like this.
  8. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Everything I read talks about adjusting the optic using dove loads or similar lower power loads. Then make final adjustments using your preferred turkey load. Appreciate everyone’s replies.

OLE RASPY and Bee like this.
  9. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I use a Burris Fast Fire 3 and the speed bead mount. I freaking love it, and can’t imagine anything better. The mount sits between the stock and receiver which keeps it low profile. Really solid set up

Bee likes this.
  10. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    Excellent points here, use the low brass,cheap game loads to dial in red dot then follow up your regular load. Had a eye doc tell me both my eyes have astigmatism or front of the eye ball is flat. That dot just has a tail on it that goes upper right. I just know the true dot is near bottom. Cheap scopes does this as does my current red dot Burris fast fire that wasn't cheap.

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I need to shim up a Burris fast fire, can't get the poi high enough.
    Lining up the dot with the front sight gets you real close on the windage. I had a cataract that gave me the halo/starburst dot. A Trijicon tech diagnosed my issue when I called and said the sight was screwed up. :)
    Eye surgery made me good again.

Drahts likes this.
  12. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    I have a cheap trueglow red dot on my 535 turkey gun. Never failed to come on and never lost zero. It's been on for 15 years or more and all I've ever done was put a fresh battery in it on my birthday when I do the Venom on my Glock 40, and my RMR on my 29.
    No idea what it cost as it came on the gun. I check the pattern every season and go hunting.
    It's probably the least expensive optic I own, but for It's purpose, I have no complaints.

woodsman92 and RLWEBB like this.
  13. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Both my boys use a red dot on their Remington Versamax and they love them. They have killed multiple turkeys with them. I personally have never used one because I'm loyal to my old Mossberg 835 with Williams Fire Sights on it, never killed a turkey with anything else. I have wanted to hunt with theirs many times just to see how I like it but I haven't yet.

OLE RASPY and RLWEBB like this.
  14. redlickranch

redlickranch 8 pointer

Dec 11, 2007
    Bullitt County
    My eyes are getting a bit old so I went with a 1x4 Leupold Scope mounted on my 11/87. I was worried a red dot battery would die at the wrong time. Having the 4 X helped me take this bird this year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. redlickranch

redlickranch 8 pointer

Dec 11, 2007
    Bullitt County
    I tried this Bushnell HoloSight on my shotgun before the Leupold. It would have worked, but I liked the fact the scope had 1-4X and didn't need batteries. It is very sturdy and has a nice dot with circle set up. I picked this up for $150 and may sell it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]