12 pointer
Jul 3, 2015
Battle Run
1664925416645.jpeg

teach27

6 pointer
Aug 27, 2004
Henderson, Ky, USA.
15 years ago, on the last day of the season I got to the farm early. I had already shot my buck, so I decided to just go and sit since was it was the last time we got hunt the property. Anyways right at daylight, I heard roar. I had never heard a buck roar, so I grabbed my rifle not knowing what made the noise

Then, a doe jumped out and behind her was the biggest 8 ptr I’d ever seen. I put it the scope, and my jaw dropped. Easily 24” + spread. Each tine was 12+ tall and ungodly mass throughout his frame. Not being able to shoot, I watched the buck chase the doe.
A couple minutes later I looked to my right and I had typical 12 walk right under my stand. As I watched him walk away, I looked up and saw a monster 10 chasing a doe in front of me.
Then I had a buck bigger than any of the dear I had seen chasing a doe to my left.The crazy thing is, all of this happened within 15 minutes. I couldn’t believe what all of this happened in a short time. So I decided to leave as I was climbing down, I had a little 6 walking up the hill. This probably sounds like a made up story, but I promise I can still picture every buck like it was yesterday.

Capttrae

12 pointer
Apr 2, 2012
I always think, well I could be on the boat out in the middle of the gulf gettin the snot beat out of me and the company man wanting us on the upwind side to take a few lifts off and pump some fuel. Then my “bad” day deer huntin seems like the best day in the world

buckchaser

10 pointer
Jan 11, 2003
Ky, USA.
Several years ago I had planned on going to a spot I had picked out in early season it was now early November. The day I had planned to go the weather was perfect but my wife had a friend that passed away and the funeral was that morning at 10.

So I decided to go the next morning. I get out of bed get dressed and I can’t find my flashlight anywhere. Check the weather it’s says temp is 60 degrees wind gust up to 15 mph. After looking for flashlight I was running late started to just go back to bed but decided it would be light enough to walk in without the light by the time I got there anyway.

Drive there and get to tree as it was getting pretty light out. 45 minutes later I shot a 140 8 point at 10 yards.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
I had been dealing with horrible target panic with my bow. The more I practiced the more I would punch the release and send the arrows to parts unknown. I was getting down on myself and not sure how to beat it. Then a light went off… just get back to basics and become the predator I knew was in me.

I found a pair of old leopard print tights my wife bought when she dressed up like Peg Bundy for a Halloween party. I cut it to form a snug fitting loincloth and slid them on. The temperature was still above 50 so it wasn’t too uncomfortable other than an occasional deep wedgie.

I marked my body with some charcoal left from a bonfire and was ready to hit the woods. With each step I took I could feel a wolf like mentality rushing through my veins. My senses became razor sharp and my breathing was slow and steady and I was at last at peace with nature.

I found a washed out groundhog hole in a creek bank so I back in and wait for my opportunity to drain the blood from my unsuspecting victim. Just as the sun was starting to set I could hear faint footsteps coming my way. Then closer…and closer…..and it was there… a guy and woman walking their Yorkie….

Now a couple things I learned…. When hunting public land get off the road more than a 50 yards and don’t take it personally when someone starts laughing uncontrollably at you. This was mostly a successful hunt for me because I could have harvested that Yorkie and it wouldn’t have known what hit it. To me the hunt is more important than the kill.

Last edited:

FF/EMT516

10 pointer
Nov 22, 2020
Caneyville, Ky
I had been dealing with horrible target panic with my bow. The more I practiced the more I would punch the release and send the arrows to parts unknown. I was getting down on myself and not sure how to beat it. Then a light went off… just get back to basics and become the predator I knew was in me.

I found a pair of old leopard print tights my wife bought when she dressed up like Peg Bundy for a Halloween party. I cut it to form a snug fitting loincloth and slid them on. The temperature was still above 50 so it wasn’t too uncomfortable other than an occasional deep wedgie.

I marked my body with some charcoal left from a bonfire and was ready to hit the woods. With each step I took I could feel a wolf like mentality rushing through my veins. My senses because razor sharp and my breathing was slow and steady and I was at last at peace with nature.

I found a washed out groundhog hole in a creek bank so I back in and wait for my opportunity to drain the blood from my unsuspecting victim. Just as the sun was starting to set I could hear faint footsteps coming my way. Then closer…and closer…..and it was there… a guy and woman walking their Yorkie….

Now a couple things I learned…. When hunting public land get off the road more than a 50 yards and don’t take it personally when someone starts laughing uncontrollably at you. This was mostly a successful hunt for me because I could have harvested that Yorkie and it wouldn’t have known what hit it. To me the hunt is more important than the kill.
That was a truly beautiful story. A real tear jerker.

kyhunter99

12 pointer
Dec 21, 2014
Still in the kitchen Ky
Well it had a nice ring to it at first but now that you mention it... I beginning to think of all the times I had some not so great experiences. Thankfully there are few!
I took back my like on this comment. Getting caught in a hellacious downpour 3/4 mile away from your truck with no rain gear is a tough day in the deer woods

Latest posts