Taking the painted numbers/letters off of PVC pipe?

Xi Bowhunter

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2002
Goetz Farm
I'm making a bunch of rod holders out of PVC pipe, and I want to strip the painted on numbers and letters from the PVC for a cleaner look.

Someone told me a brillo pad would work, and it did eventually, but I wore out a brillo pad on just two 15" rod holders, and some of it (the paint) still won't come off. Is there a better way?

Would paint thinner or acetone work on something like this?

STUMP-52

6 pointer
Feb 19, 2010
If you got some try it. I'd try rubbin alcohol also. You prolly got that in the med cabinet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xi Bowhunter

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2002
Goetz Farm
If you got some try it. I'd try rubbin alcohol also. You prolly got that in the med cabinet.

I looked all over for some rubbing alcohol last night and couldn't find it anywhere, and I know I've got some. I even tried finding the wife's nail polish remover, to no avail. LOL.

I think I may try the acetone first. My hand was plum wore-out after all that scrubbing with the brillo pad.

Iceman35

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2008
Boone County
I'd say acetone will probably do it. If not then mineral spirits. I used them to take fence stain off our vinyl siding and it worked well.

chris149

12 pointer
Jun 17, 2009
KY
If you find your wife nail polish remover almost all of them are acetone and if you get the pipe cleaner get the clear kind not the purple.

Xi Bowhunter

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2002
Goetz Farm
Thanks for the help guys. I'm building 2 custom (not my design though) kayak crates, that have 6 rod holders and two handle pieces (that can also be used as rod holders), all made of PVC pipe. I just want it to look nice and clean when I'm finished.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
The pvc cleaner (actual cleaner used to solvent weld the pipes together in plumbing) will remove the print on the pipe. What about a light sanding with a 200-400 grit sand paper? Acetone may take it off as well, not sure though.

just me

12 pointer
Sep 26, 2013
Planning on something similar soon myself. I was planning on painting camo to match my yak though. Like pentail said...lets see some pics when your done!

Xi Bowhunter

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2002
Goetz Farm
Post a photo when they are finished

This is the design I'm going for, minus the cut-out, and some other modifications to suit my fishing needs. I'll post some pictures of the way I design mine when I finally get it completed.

kayak crate.JPG