Tagging deer

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by model70, Nov 19, 2018.

1. model70

model70 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    The lease I hunt on gets a certain amount of extra tags from the state to kill doe's. My question is, does this tag have to be filled out before you move the deer from the field? I think it does, or the hunter could get into trouble. My buddy thinks you can move the deer from the field to the camp then tag it. What is the proper procedure? Thanks

2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Regs say in the field before Deer is moved.

davers likes this.
  3. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    In field can't be took to town and then tagged

4. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    Someone told me you didn't have to tag the deer as long as it was in your possession, but I don't know. I always tagged right after shooting it.

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Harvested Deer, Elk, Turkey, Bear, Bobcat and Otter
    The following regulations apply to all deer, elk, turkey, bear, bobcat and otter taken by hunters or trappers, including landowners and other license-exempt hunters.

HARVEST LOG
    All successful hunters, including those who are license exempt, must fill out a harvest log as soon as the animal is taken and prior to moving the carcass. Information that must be written on the harvest log includes the species and sex of animal taken, date and county where taken.

A telecheck confirmation number must be obtained and recorded on the harvest log.

davers likes this.
  6. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY

7. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I believe you have to write the date of harvest along with sex of Deer in a log sheet. Then enter the conformation number, when you call it in, then writing it on your tag.

Carl likes this.
  8. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    That's what I thought. Not everyone has a cell phone so some have to go home to call it in.

KYBOY and davers like this.
  9. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Fill out harvest log before you move it. Telecheck before midnight same day.
    Has to be tagged with confirmation number if it leaves your possession.

Carl and KY Swamp Beagler like this.
  10. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    You nailed it. As long as the harvest log is filled out, you can move it without tagging it. This is what I always thought but post #2 and #3 got me to wondering.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  11. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    All of my Deer Hunting is on my property, short distance from my home. I write down the date and sex of Deer + county, on my log. When my harvested Deer and I return to the house, I call it in. I have a cell phone, but I don't trust it as it could cut-out while I report my Deer. Much rather use a landline phone.

Carl likes this.
  12. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    If you have a smartphone, you can login to the "My Profile" section at fw.ky.gov and check your animal in from that page. It's a lot easier than the phone method, and you can submit an email address to get confirmation.

Munson likes this.
  13. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Thanks, but I only have one of those older "flip" cell phones with no internet connection. Just have the cell only for emergency purposes and I seldom use it.:)

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    As stated..... mark your harvest log with date, sex and county code immediately after you find / locate the harvested deer.... you cant legally move / remove from field until this is done. Then you have till midnight of the day of harvest the deer / animal to Telecheck and complete the harvest log with the confirmation number.

Which there’s exceptions to the midnight Telecheck rule, being if the animal leaves your possession such as dropped off at processor, taxidermist... or in the case the deer is being transported by someone else and your not physically with the animal. Then the animal needs to be Telechecked and a physical tag with your confirmation number, name, address, etc... on the tag...and secured to the animal. Which the tag itself can be homemade ...just a notecard, piece of cardboard...whatever is handy and just secure with string, tape, wire or zip tie.

Which I’d say this is the process with all animals required to be telechecked.....including the state antlerless management tags issued. The written information needs to be filled out before the animal is moved or you could be cited.

I’ll also give a thumbs up to the on-line Telecheck using your profile on the KDF&WR’s website. It’s much easier than calling it in. Which cell service on our place is sketchy to say the least but regardless of doing it in a location of good service on my cell phone or even on my PC at home...the process is easier in my opinion. Which as mentioned... you not only get the confirmation number after submitting but they can also send an email as a second confirmation for back-up documentation.

davers likes this.
  15. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I've always called-in my Deer Harvest using my landline phone. Where I live the terrain is such that we have dead spots affecting cell phones.

KYBOY likes this.