Tagging a found buck

Nov 8, 2012
I found a nice buck dead on the farm rabbit hunting. My question is can I use my unused buck tag to tag this deer even though the season is over now? Or should I obtain a disposal tag from my CO? I have tried contacting two of the local CO's but have yet to receive a response. Thanks for any help with this situation.

docbuck

10 pointer
Nov 28, 2014
western ky
Must be a conference or something , I noticed the neighbor has a couple of CO trucks parked at his house for a couple days now. He is usually awesome at returning texts or calls. Probably out of town. Agree, you should call Frankfort if you don't here back tomorrow.

cummins

6 pointer
Feb 10, 2013
wayne co
I found a nice dead head Friday and called the warden said they don't give tags for them anymore that he would have to come get it and turn it in...this is crazy! its sad that we cant walk and look for sheds and if find a dead head hafta leave them laying or turn them in.. said the reason was people was selling them.. anyone ever hear this b4?

Iceman35

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2008
Boone County
I found a nice dead head Friday and called the warden said they don't give tags for them anymore that he would have to come get it and turn it in...this is crazy! its sad that we cant walk and look for sheds and if find a dead head hafta leave them laying or turn them in.. said the reason was people was selling them.. anyone ever hear this b4?

Sounds like a lazy CO. Technically you have to have a taxidermist license to buy or sell shed antlers and skulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009

That doesn't sound right. I think I'd be calling Frankfort to confirm because this is definitely different from how it's always been handled!

Strutter

Cyber-Hunter
Dec 9, 2001
USA.
The difference between picking up sheds and finding a skull is that the F&W guys assume that you shot the buck for the rack after filling your one buck tag and let it lay til you could get it and say you found it. Probably has happened a lot and will still happen. In the past, the CO would issue a carcass tag for the head but I would bet a lot of big deer have mysteriously started being found dead and that's why they don't let people keep them anymore. If you can't keep it, why shoot it. But my thinking is, if you are low enough to shoot one for the rack, you could care less if you get an OK from a CO and therefore most legit finds are the ones who are punished. This is my opinion anyway.

cummins

6 pointer
Feb 10, 2013
wayne co
Yeah its different found dead heads in years past and never a problem getting a disposal tag...going to call Frankfort in the morning and hope to get the right answer.. Does anyone know a name of a person that I need to talk to thanks..

Latest posts