Tag Soup.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by baknblack, Nov 29, 2021.

1. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Glad you posted this. I was typing something similar. I have family that shoots "deer". They shoot the first deer they see......buck or doe, giant or spike......because it's a legal deer. Once they shoot a buck, they don't like that they have to be "picky" and wait on a doe to fill their remaining tags. They want four (4) deer. If one is a buck, so be it. ....... and these guys aren't in zone 4 !!! They will not pass a legal buck if they have a tag.......and they don't eat antlers !!

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I killed my PB in 1990, 143 gross.... I went several years without killing another buck because I was waiting for something bigger.... I finally realized I can't kill what isn't around. I don't shoot little bucks, but little is relative. My targets are little to some people, but again, you can't kill what you don't have. I don't care who shoots what, as long as it is within the law. I wish more of my neighbors would let nice young bucks walk, but most don't. We have three 2.5/3.5 year old 8's this year that could be really good in another year or two. I know two were still alive as of Saturday. I saw one Friday, and had pics of the other Saturday. I shot a cull buck on the last morning last year. I had passed him three times. Mature 7 point, 17" inside spread, and mass like a cigar. Never would have amounted to anything. The buck DW killed this year was an obvious offspring.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Winchester94 likes this.
  3. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I understand the zone thing, I understand people buy tags that doesn't say it has to be a certain size,. My ol'man shoots what ever buck, but he tells a story with that deer that someone would that kills a booner..
    I just don't like it when they shoot a little buck and put you down for passing a good deer "cause can't eat antlers" if they kill a big deer do they still say that ?
    And they are first ones to say there ain't no big deer where they hunt

4. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I understand what you're saying..and i agree. I know a few like that..but most I know are just glad to have harvested their deer. I will say this..if they opened does to be allowed with a firearm around my area..even if just for a few days a year..there wouldn't be any deer left. To some folks..deer season is only the weeks of modern gun..and that's it..some have no clue you can actually hunt from September to january with the proper weapons.

5. Little FR

Little FR 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    my favorite buck of all time scored under 130. He was on the decline. I had hunted him for years and finally had a shot with a muzzleloading pistol my daughter and I built from a kit. Rattled him in 300 yards across an open field on modern gun opener in the rain. Small? Yes. Mature? 5.5” bases… yeah.

If you have a tag use it how you see fit. My issue is people shooting immature deer that have potential then going ‘where the big bucks at?’ or putting me down for wanting mature deer and letting 2yro 130’s walk all day or all season.

The areas I hunt have so many deer patience will yield a mature deer or a doe.

My dad will blow the spots off a button or spike without remorse. That’s just my old man. Kids I take hunting or new hunters? If it’s got a fork, fire at will.

6. buckdownpa

buckdownpa Spike

Nov 4, 2021
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Same here, but flintlock season is my second favorite season behind archery. I could be eating a pa and Kentucky buck tag though lol

Little FR likes this.
  7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Archery is my very favorite but those late season cooold mornings caused me to buy a crossbow. There's been a few December mornings where I was so bundled and cold I couldn't pull my bow back. After that I started pulling it back four or five times before putting it on the holder. Then Wildman turned me on to a good deal on a crossbow so that's what I'll be packing if it's below freezing.

buckdownpa and Little FR like this.
  8. buckdownpa

buckdownpa Spike

Nov 4, 2021
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I bought a crossbow two years ago because I ruptured a disc in my neck and had to have ACDF surgery and wasn’t able to pull back my bow. But I’m able to pull my bow back now and went back to my compound this year. But when it gets single digits I’m always going to go with my flintlock in pa as 2nd season runs from day after Xmas until 3rd week in January in my wildlife management unit and you can use a flintlock or bow and I switch back forth depending on weather. I swear I’m more accurate with my bow than the roundball I shoot out of my old Thompson center 50 cal hawked lol Breaking the crossbow out though makes sense didn’t think of that

Little FR likes this.
  9. Timholt70

Timholt70 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    Lots of hunting left.2nd rut and late season food sources.

Little FR and Brody like this.
  10. invasion36

invasion36 10 pointer

Aug 29, 2013
    Kenton Co
    I bought brand new canning jars to try and can a deer this year. Wonder how long and how much pressure a tag takes. Lol

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Thought you could hunt deer through mid January????? Someone cancel the rest of season?

Little FR likes this.
  12. baknblack

baknblack 12 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    Work gets in the way but, I will try to get a couple days in during ml. I got a crossbow last year and haven't gotten it out of the box. Everything changes next year cause I'm retired. Just hoping I stay healthy.

13. DocPain

DocPain Spike

Aug 23, 2021
    Hardinsburg Kentucky
    Don’t give up yet fellers. I’ve watched 3 different bucks chasing does through my woods today so far while outside doing a little last minute leaf raking.

Little FR likes this.
  14. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Saw 7 Deer browsing in my field Monday evening.

Little FR likes this.