table saw or track saw recommendations?

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by corndogggy, Sep 15, 2014.

1. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    What would you guys use if you had several panels for cabinet-like projects that could be up to 30" wide? Debating on whether to let somebody else do the work at $65 an hour, buy a FesTool track saw, a universal track saw kit from toolnut.com, or a Ridgid cast iron table saw.

The pros of the table saw is repeatable cuts, running several pieces through the same setup for the exact same width. Cons would be that I would need my wife to help and it takes up a ton of room in the garage, cast iron top would potentially rust. Afraid of it being a bad investment unless I get a massive $2,000-$3,000 3 hp cabinet saw and then you're still looking at needing help and taking up even more room. I only have one garage bay for all my tools and whatnot and it is already crowded. The Ridgid one, it takes like 8 hours to assemble too, which sucks, and it's the same chinese saw that other brands are made from. For example the Craftsman contractors saw is the exact same thing.

Track saw, very little foot print, expensive for what it is though. However with every cut you have to set it up from scratch, panels wouldn't be identical, although very close if you are careful. I can cut full size plywood by myself with one of these and the edges are very smooth.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13-Amp-10-in-Professional-Table-Saw-R4512/202500206

http://www.cpofestool.com/festool-5...6&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=27-358400109-2

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

The Table Saw, hands down. I have made Furniture at home for over 40 years and I couldn't do it without the Table Saw, you could always try and sell it after you are done.

3. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    Corndoggy, where are you at? We sometimes cut a panel or two for next to nothing. We ripped a bunch of lumber for a man a few weeks ago and only charged him 20 bucks. I work in Horse Cave.

4. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Around Paducah. Wish I could find somebody for future reference. I know I can have Lowe's do it for free but making furniture out of baltic birch probably isn't the greatest idea, they use dull saws and aren't exactly accurate. I'm making two bookshelves, two desks, and two subwoofer boxes for my home theater room.

5. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    Ok. FWIW, I have alot of experience with the Festool system. Pretty impressive. And costly!

6. KyBucks10

KyBucks10 12 pointer

Dec 5, 2008
    Burgin, Kentucky
    Festool must think their tool are molded by the hand of God. I mean, $2000 for a miter saw?! Good grief. You'd have to take out another house note if you built a shop with their products.

Okay, rant over. My vote is the table saw. How many cuts are you planning on making though? Do you have future potential projects? Is it going to be worth the investment of a several hundred dollar tool or would a straight edge, a few clamps and a circular saw do the trick?