sweet feed

captfire

6 pointer
Oct 13, 2015
any one every put out sweet feed for deer had an old man tell me deer love it I know they like peanut butter and anything that's sweet.

wv67

12 pointer
Dec 19, 2017
Southern wva
I e used it in warmer weather the bears liked it better , I just use corn for deer sometimes mix in goat feed in the winter they like it pretty well

keeruss8

8 pointer
Jun 19, 2016
Marrowbone
I mix a lil with the corn in the feeder. The deer like it but this is mostly grain and heavy on the molasses , very few pellets. I've seen the sweet feed thats dam near all pellets, its junk with moisture and makes a mess out of the feeders. 300lb feeder id do 5 bags corn to 1 bag of sweet feed. Last week I switched to 50/50 corn and roasted soybeans for rest of year

Cornpile

12 pointer
Dec 1, 2006
Kornfield County,KY
5050107.jpg
and corn,deer love this mixed together

timer

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2013
La Grange
Interesting posts....I've never used "sweet feed" but I use shelled corn mixed with molasses and the deer seem to really like it. I don't mix it myself - I buy it mixed from the feed store where I get my cattle feed. (McRay's Feeds in Salvisa) I spread a 50 pound bag in 10-12 small piles about six or seven steps apart. You can't use this stuff in a feeder - it would gaum up the feeder the first day.

I don't put out shelled corn anymore, but I gave a couple of bags of the shelled corn with molasses mixture to a bud who puts out shelled corn in a field that is close to about 75 acres of corn. He said the deer walked over the shelled corn to get to the mix.

After reading these posts, I'm gonna put out some shelled corn next to the shelled corn molasses mix and see which piles disappear faster.

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
I bought some of that big and j a few years ago and I swear that’s all it was, a expensive small bag of sweet feed. And like others posted the deer really didn’t care much for it. You just can’t beat shelled corn, some molasses on top does seem to make even more enticing for them though

luvtohunt

12 pointer
Sep 1, 2011
Eubank, Ky
I've used it with good success. Used to take a 30 gallon trash can and drill a hole in the bottom. Mix a 50 pound bag in real well with 100 pounds of corn and it will gravity feed with the corn. Deer loved it and the lid on the can kept it dry. It never molded or anything but it was in a spot covered up with does and I was getting 4-5 thousand pics a week so it didn't last long. Now though if i was going to do something sweet I would probably buy the molasses corn to mix in instead.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I don't use anything sweet. Deer can't brush their teeth. I shot a doe several years ago and her teeth were rotting. I quit feeding anything sweet (molasses/peanut butter, etc) after that.

luvtohunt

12 pointer
Sep 1, 2011
Eubank, Ky
Why would you want to use it? Is it cheaper than corn?
Not sure the reason the OP wants to but when I was using it, it was on the recommendation of the group of guys I hunted with. They used it so thought I should as well. Only benefit I really saw from it was the sweet smell that it emitted when attempting to establish a new bait site quickly. I eventually stopped using it but that was why for me. I haven't bought any in several years but if i recall it was a couple dollars more expensive than shell corn.

Latest posts