Swarms

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Nock, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    If you can't trap them, catch em. Got this swarm this morning thanks to a local family who called and let me know about them. How many bees do you think is there Nock? This is my first experience with bees, so I am very green at this.
    received_2865804263683926.jpeg

Feedman, Nock and Drahts like this.
  2. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I’d say that’s at least 3#of bees. Maybe #4 hard to tell. 3500 per pound roughly.

3. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Nice easy low catch by the way.

4. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    One of my traps may be working! Got home yesterday and saw about 10 bees buzzing around and going in and out of my latest trap box. Now the question is....Is it the bees I brought home yesterday in the nuke box, or is it new bees (neighbor has hives)? Hopefully we will have another swarm caught in a few days.

5. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I’d say it’s scouts from another hive. Probably not even your neighbors. When they swarm they try to get away from there old home. That’s a good sign. Probably have them today or tomorrow.

6. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Do you have the measurement on the box?
    Did you put frames in there?
    What bait are you using?

7. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I took advantage of this cool morning and moved three traps home that had bees. Still got several more to move. If you catch. Once you transfer them out get that box back up. Always a chance at a after swarm in same spot

Velvet ears likes this.
  8. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
  9. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Thanks for the info . My traps seem to get passed up.

10. Hunter carpenter

Hunter carpenter Fawn

Oct 7, 2019
    Fleming county ky.
    Got a swarm above the house right now there is a lot all in one pile. First time I ever saw a swarm

11. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I can come and get them if you want us to . We are close to you

12. Hunter carpenter

Hunter carpenter Fawn

Oct 7, 2019
    Fleming county ky.
    You can come get them if you want them there up in a tree though

Sorry I don't see earlier I was running the saw and just finished and also cooked me and dad a bite to eat just saw your post. You'll probably need to get them tonight if you want them

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Drahts likes this.
  13. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Had a swarm today at my house.( I was lucky I saw them) They could have came from one of my hives. I noticed the one hive along my driveway was a little agitated and I looked up and a swarm was between them and my barn. I ran to my house and got a pan and started beating on it because I heard it would settle them down.
    It must have worked because they landed in the tree but up high. They were loud and bees was flying all over. After a bit they all settled in a big wad.
    The tree was rotten and my son stuck a ladder up close to them . I was afraid the tree limbs would break off but it held long enough.
    He knocked the first bunch in a box and my son said the Queen has to be in the box by the way the other bees was acting . Soon a bunch of the bees gathered back on the limb . My son cut it off , laid it in front of the catch box and within a few minutes they all went in the box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dark Cloud, Feedman, Nock and 2 others like this.
  14. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    How do y’all like them pro nucs?

15. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Don't know . My son has had this one for a while but never used it. The reason he used it yesterday was because of weight.
    20 ft up on a ladder with rotten limbs and balancing yourself and trying to catch the bees , he needed something light to handle.
    It would have taken a lot of strength to hold the wooden box and catch the bees . The bees are higher and father away than the picture really shows .
    All I can say is it worked great to catch this bunch of bees.

JR in KY and Dark Cloud like this.