Survey says,!!!!!! Calendar ducks are a real thing.

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
Same here bigpudinn43. We may take a few early then let it rest till some new birds show Hunt just a couple of days is all on spots. My crew we NEVER shoot roost ponds. Trouble around here new young guns shoot the hell out of local birds and roost ponds. Then brag about all the birds the kill early. Then complain late season. WE HAVE NO BIRDS. Wonder why.

Reactions: TBo

Bowfinger

10 pointer
Nov 3, 2015
In a Concrete Submarine
IMO, pressure has done more for the MS flyway than anywhere else. Tn DNR has posted multiple transmitter data posts the past few weeks on how "ducks finally got here". In reality I guess some ducks could be reverse migrating. But their posts indicates it's not the ducks coming back, it's the ducks getting off refuges/non hunted areas and exploring areas when their feathered butts aren't getting shot at.

We're given 60 days for a reason. But they haven't accurately counted ducks in over 2 years because of Covid. I really don't think going to 45 days is out of the question...it really hinges on this summers survey.

Here's what I'd like to see:
2 day season on the weekend closest to the Halloween date. Saturday/Sunday (maybe Friday...IDK)
3 day season beginning on the day after Thanksgiving (Friday-Sunday) Thanksgiving needs to be spent with family
3 day split on the 2nd weekend of December (Friday-Sunday)
Rest Monday-Thursday
4 day split on the 2nd weekend of December
Rest until the 23rd
Open season from the 23rd of December til January 31st.

IMO, you don't need 60 days. We need to rest birds until Christmas.

I'd love to throw in a full moon variant but it would get complicated.

This works great for the weekend warriors, however not so much for the individuals that actually keep the lights on, water flowing, first responders, health care workers, etc.

Bee

10 pointer
Mar 14, 2005
Under current MS flyway options from the Feds I believe KY has a choice of either a two spilt or three split season(each with a lot of additional regulations). No current option for multiple closed and open dates beyond the 2 or 3 splits. I do not know what a separation of state in to west-east zoning does to that option structure. The teal/woodduck special season and special hunts (youth, veterans) are not counted in those options.

Last edited:

Bowfinger

10 pointer
Nov 3, 2015
In a Concrete Submarine
Under current MS flyway options from the Feds I believe KY has a choice of either a two spilt or three split season(each with a lot of additional regulations). No current option for multiple closed and open dates beyond the 2 or 3 splits. I do not know what a separation of state in to west-east zoning does to that option structure. The teal/woodduck special season and special hunts (youth, veterans) are not counted in those options.
3 splits

1) 4 day Mean Green Halloween Season
2) 4 day T-Day Season
3) Jan 31st back to early December with remaining days

hunt-4-life21

12 pointer
Sep 26, 2007
Butler Co.
This works great for the weekend warriors, however not so much for the individuals that actually keep the lights on, water flowing, first responders, health care workers, etc.
This offers a Friday and a Thursday-Friday option that suits more hunters. The splits are more for easing pressure than pleasing people.
I believe you are correct on the feds controlling the number of splits. But it doesn't make sense. Studies show pressure in the MS flyway is causing more ducks to refuge sit and be nocturnal. The studies are coming from state/fed agencies.

Bowfinger

10 pointer
Nov 3, 2015
In a Concrete Submarine
This offers a Friday and a Thursday-Friday option that suits more hunters. The splits are more for easing pressure than pleasing people.

I believe you are correct on the feds controlling the number of splits. But it doesn't make sense. Studies show pressure in the MS flyway is causing more ducks to refuge sit and be nocturnal. The studies are coming from state/fed agencies.
Pressure is not the issue. You can't pressure something that is not there.

Links to studies, proving pressure is causing ducks to refuge sit an be nocturnal please.

TBo

Spike
Jan 16, 2018
West Ky
Put those extra days in February! Unless you pickup every day, you’d have to put decoy spread out a whole month early and buy mosquito spray. IMO, we’d get much more mileage out of February days extended. Yeah, I’m Ballard and no, I’m not a cornfield hunter.

Last edited:

hunt-4-life21

12 pointer
Sep 26, 2007
Butler Co.
Pressure is not the issue. You can't pressure something that is not there.

Links to studies, proving pressure is causing ducks to refuge sit an be nocturnal please.
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/po...osts/479524566849066&show_text=true&width=500" width="500" height="761" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
Put those extra days in February! Unless you pickup every day, you’d have to put decoy spread out a whole month early and buy mosquito spray. IMO, we’d get much more mileage out of February days extended. Yeah, I’m Ballard and no, I’m not a cornfield hunter.
Give us those day with extended Goose season when the Ducks are here. I AGREE.

Reactions: TBo

hunt-4-life21

12 pointer
Sep 26, 2007
Butler Co.
Give us those day with extended Goose season when the Ducks are here. I AGREE.
Insert comment #1000 about not being able to extend duck season into February here.

Give us west of I-65 (or where ever you want to draw the line, IDC) our snow goose conservation season back right after season. We could shoot snows with e-callers right after duck season but by the time Feb. 16th rolls around, the birds that were there are 200 miles north.

Waiting on a Canada goose in February that comes once every decade is dumb. Canada migrators aren't coming back.

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
Insert comment #1000 about not being able to extend duck season into February here.

Give us west of I-65 (or where ever you want to draw the line, IDC) our snow goose conservation season back right after season. We could shoot snows with e-callers right after duck season but by the time Feb. 16th rolls around, the birds that were there are 200 miles north.

Waiting on a Canada goose in February that comes once every decade is dumb. Canada migrators aren't coming back.
Kind of true. We get here in Central Ky bunches of Canada Geese in February.

bmason

8 pointer
Mar 31, 2006
Hunting ducks into February is not an option. That is a federal mandate. However, the state can manipulate days and splits until Jan. 31st. Honestly, would hunting into February make a difference? This past youth weekend in Ballard County, it wasn't that there were 100,000 birds and it was the fact that they hadn't been shot in a week. All the birds that are now coming north fly through at the end of October and November.

Downeaster

Spike
Oct 13, 2006
Frankfort
Sorry to come to this thread late. I have a couple comments on this to maybe help clarify.

1) Duck hunting days in February (excluding special seasons) are not ever going to be allowed by the USFWS. Kentucky hunts the latest day possible under federal frameworks (Jan 31).

2) KDFWR conducted a survey of duck hunters after seeing regular requests for "Halloween season" on the internet. In that survey, 82% indicated that they were not interested in hunting before Thanksgiving. Based on the survey response, that option was not explored further. There was no "special input" from Ballard County.

3) Kentucky has 2 zones for ducks (East and West). In a state with 2 zones, the USFWS allows the state to have two season segments with one split. So for us, having 3 days at Halloween was not an option without giving up the Thanksgiving segment or removing our zones.

4) Wood duck populations can handle ~17% harvest rate before harvest potentially causes declines. With the early wood duck season and Dec/Jan harvest in LA, Kentucky wood ducks are harvested at 15-16% annually. While this thread has been about mallards for the most part, I ask you to consider what would be the main bird in the bag in late October. A "Halloween" season would likely push wood ducks over allowable harvest and we would run high risk of losing September season.

5) Changing duck zone/split configurations is not something a state can just do. The USFWS only allows changes every 5 years. The 2021-2022 season is the first year in that 5 year cycle. Kentucky removed its east and west zones in favor of a statewide season for the 2022-2023 season. So we could potentially go to 3 segments with 2 splits. The 2026-2027 season is the first year Kentucky could implement "Halloween" days based on that 5 year cycle. If you want them, then you need to contact your Commissioner well in advance of that. By then, another survey would be justified and maybe opinion has moved.

6) To address the comments on snow goose seasons. Each season ~150 people apply for Snow Goose permits. The decision was made that far more people were benefitted by having 2 weeks in February. In a recent survey of goose hunters, more than 5,000 hunters (mostly in central Kentucky) have participated in goose hunts in February. Those days aren't there hoping migrants will return...they are there to benefit those hunting local Canadas. As you can see, far more people benefit from Feb dark goose hunting.

7) To the idea of creating a zone to hunt snow geese I would say, Kentucky has been making an effort to get rid of zones and simplify regulations. How would you draw a line for this? 50% of the snow goose permits issued are in the Henderson area. I can promise you, the majority of folks in that area wouldn't want to lose their Feb dark goose days. I sounds easy to just create a zone but it is not.

8) Special seasons create problems for Snow goose Conservation order seasons. You can not have any season (other than falconry) open during Conservation order seasons. So regulations would have to be created to close the snow goose season during youth/veterans days. More regulatory complexity.

Latest posts