Sunflower Planting and Growing

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Rob7, May 13, 2020.

1. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be a forgotten year. I replanted sunflowers and corn plot late last week. Sunflowers weren't up at 8 days and I didn't see any trying to come up either. I may of broke the stem off. I checked them around 5 days after planting and a hard crust had formed on the soil from disking then a rain. I ran the aerator over them, like we do soybeans, and it may of broken the stems off under the ground. That's all I can think of. At 8-9 days post plant, there were maybe 25% up. I did plant them a little shallow in hopes they would use the moisture in the ground and get up before the crust. That could've caused them not to come up too. Heck, I don't know. This year has been the hardest for getting crops up I ever remember.

2. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Sprayed the Clearfield Sunflower field with the Lightning Product Friday 6.5.20. Used my 15 gallon spray rig in the back of the ranger and the 9' boom and made 6 trips back to the barn to reload with chemical and water. Barn isn't too far away from the field and the fridge had some cold beverages that came in handy while spraying Friday evening. Took a while but the spacing of the rows didn't allow for the tractor to go back on the field, something else to work on for next year. Below pictures are from Friday 6.12.20. The lightning helped but didn't take out all the weeds. All in all more flowers came up than I thought were going to. Still have more weeds that would like however all things considered it will be just fine and dandy. Looking forward to watching em grow and the anticipation of some good hunts with family and friends. Sunflower 1.jpg Sunflower 2.jpg

HuntsItAll likes this.
  3. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Rob, have you ever heard of a wick bar? Honestly, I hadn't until last year (when dad pulled it out of the top of a barn). Lots of these farmers are having pig weed problems. It grows so fast it gets taller than the soybeans and you can't kill it with roundup. Dicamba will smoke it but you need special soybeans and they may outlaw this chemical by the end of the June. Anyway, a wick bar has a high concentrate of chemical on ropes hanging from a bar. If you get grasses taller than your sunflowers, I think you can drove over the sunflowers with a UTV and the chemical will rub off on the taller weeds and not come in contact with the sunflowers. I think I'm going to try it on some johnson grass areas.

4. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    also look at clethodim products such as select it will kill grass but not broad leafs. gonna hit my plots this week sometime.

5. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Thanks Hunt4life and BigPuddin,
    I would like to find one of those wick bars. Wonder if anyone has any for sale in Central KY? Going to make a couple calls later on today however if someone knows where I can acquire one it would be appreciated. Thanks!

6. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    I think you can buy them at Rural King.

7. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Quick update on my field. My first time planting was May 26th. Very crappy stand because of seed depth so I came back a week later and replanted the whole field. Replant came up pretty good. Not great but it’ll do. The only weeds coming up are some johnson Grass patches the the far end of the field.
    A4785A08-1238-4F3F-810F-2CE8449885AB.jpeg
    2DD9D1B0-CD04-4439-97D0-1A9A5F7FF2B8.jpeg

HuntsItAll likes this.
  8. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    We have a Rolling felt wick we use for Johnson grass spots, and a 25 foot fabric sock wick on bicycle tires we use for Mares tail in soybean fields. only thing I noticed is it Really helps if you can hit it in both directions which tracks up things a little more

9. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Would love to see a picture of those if you have them. I am hoping to fab something up this weekend before the sunflowers get too tall to driver over. Thanks

10. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Couldn't find a wick bar local and Sunflowers were too tall for me to drive over in the ranger so I didn't fab anything up. In lieu of I opted to use the wick theory and walk around with a 5 gallon bucket with a mixture of gly in it and a 9" paint roller on a pole and test out a few areas by rolling the johnson grass. The first 2 pictures were taken a week apart. Worked great! Next year I am going to have a wick bar and put the smack down on that Johnson grass! For now I am taking an hour each trip down there and hitting areas with the paint roller and gly. As a side note seems the lightning worked better than I initially thought. Would not recommend this however I did use about 33% more chemical than recommended per acre this year and it seemed to have worked better than in years past. Here are pics of the before and after row I missed with initial spraying but followed with the gly and paint roller.
    sfIMG_5387.jpg sfIMG_5430.jpg

On the left side of the below picture you can see I ran out of chemical and didn't spray the last 3 - 4 rows with lightning. I think next weekend I may just bushhog those down and spray the johnson grass out as it tries to grow back or may just spray it out.
    sfIMG_5435.jpg

Fields growing well, its spotty since I planted when it was technically still too wet and then we got too much rain the following week but all in all am pleased and it should be just fine.
    sfIMG_5443.jpg

11. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 8 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    Scared to go look at my field... Crabgrass was bad last week when I checked it. We’ve gotten about 8 inches of rain since Saturday.... It’s either drowned it out, or hopefully the sunflowers took a jump up to where they’ll leaf out and shade out the crabgrass. I planted several rows of corn throughout my sunflowers and it’s looking great. So at the least, I’ll bushhog it with the sunflowers and hopefully have some birds.

12. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    if you can get over it spray select to kill crabgrass.