Sunflower Planting and Growing

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Rob7, May 13, 2020.

1. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Always interested to see how others plant and grow their fields. When they do it and what seed and chemicals they use. Just finished ours up last night.
    5.3 - Mowed - Mowed the field as low as could with 5' bush hog.
    5.10 - Tilled
    5.11 - Planted - Planted left over 2019 Clearfield seed. Almost had enough, last 5 rows 2018 left over Clearfield seed. Used old John Deere corn planter with sunflower plates in it.
    5.12 - Sprayed a mixture of Spartan and Prowl preemergent herbicide (rained 5.13)
    We plant a little over 5 acres and it typically takes 1/2 a 35 lb bag of Clearfield. Had 1/2 of last years bag left so went ahead and used Clearfield again this year. May or not spray lightning on the field depending upon weed growth, probably won't. In years past have not had the best results with the lightning. Next year plan to plant Peredovik. Used the same combination of Spartan and Prowl that we used last year only because we had the right amount of chemical left over from last year. Next year plan to use the Broadaxe that Hunt-4-life uses.
    IMG_4833.JPG IMG_4907.JPG IMG_4921.JPG IMG_4925.JPG IMG_4928.JPG

2. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
  3. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I love the way those tillers go from weeds to good seed bed in a minute. I've wanted one for years but we've never bought one. Looks good!

4. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    Looks real good. I been spraying some screen strips and plots with generic roundup. Prolly disc next week or so. Running behind but will be planting some Egyptian Wheat and Switchgrass screen and some Conceal from Whitetail Institute. Will also plant some Eagle Soybeans and Biologic Sweet Corn. I already have a lot of Vision (chicory,kale,clover combo) from Whitetail Institute planted. It is a perrinial blend and I have had a lot better success planting it in fall. I may add some winter plots in the fall of sugar beets and winter greens and forage oats. Will fertilize and lime and spray the Vision plots. Thats my plan. I’ve never dealt with switchgrass and I’m hoping to get it going for the long haul. I like the idea of screening food plots and entry/exits to afternoon stands.

5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Where did the sprayer come from? 100-150 gallon?

6. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Buddy of mine hooked me up on the sprayer. It was an old 55 gallon 7 nozzle sprayer that he had laying around his farm that was missing the motor and a few other parts. He gave me a very fair deal on it. We then bought a pto roller pump, some hoses, a couple new spray nozzles and a few more do dads from Tractor Supply and got it running in no time. It runs and sprays very well. For our application and based on his advice we were running 60 psi and 5 mph in order to get the 20 gallon per acre application rate desired. My other sprayer is a 15 gallon 12v sprayer with a 9' boom and there is no comparison, the pto roller pump performs much better.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  7. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    I'm working on a 55 gallon sprayer with 20' folding boom right now. I got a roller pump from my dad, but I could only get 20 PSI running wide open. What roller pump did you buy?

8. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    I'll look next time I'm at the farm and see exactly which one it is however pretty sure it is one of these 2 https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ron-sprayer-pump-with-torque-arm?cm_vc=-10005 or https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ron-sprayer-pump-with-torque-arm?cm_vc=-10005

9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    The rollers in the pump may be worn.
    Pumps can be rebuilt

Winchester94 likes this.
  10. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    still need to disk every so often they will create the worst hard pan about 8" deep you have ever seen. started working my garden this year and had to get the disk out as it was hard as a rock and the tiller would not hardly break it up.

Winchester94 likes this.
  11. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    What is something to spray on switchgrass, corn, Egyptian wheat and soybeans. Is there something to spray on all of these. I already sprayed grass with roundup. Gonna disc and sew but was wondering if should spray something else either after I disc or after seeds come up. Any advice appreciated.

12. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
  13. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    This rain is killing me. I still haven't planted. Usually, I wait til we are done with crops before I plant them because I have to clean out the seed boxes. I had a small window early May but that's too early from my experience. I guess its better to be early than not have sunflowers dried out by the opener. They are showing a chance of rain every day for the next 6 days. I love living in the amazon rainforest of KY.

14. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    I’m in same shape. Frustrating.

15. HCDH66

HCDH66 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2019
    Hardin County
    Me too. Hope to plant this weekend.