Sunday afternoon roll call!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by NOCAMST, Sep 12, 2021.

1. NOCAMST

NOCAMST 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2017
    Central ky
    Finally up a tree this evening for my first sit of the year as I just returned from Louisiana last night. My wife and I are settled in excited for the night. There was a shooter 10 in here last night so fingers crossed he does the deal again! Good luck everyone!

xbokilla, Feedman, woodsman92 and 2 others like this.
  2. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
  3. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Good luck man! Wish I was in a tree, but had a birthday party to attend this evening

4. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    Saw 4 bucks in a bachelor group eating in soy bean field. That’s it.

5. NOCAMST

NOCAMST 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2017
    Central ky
    Saw 6 bucks and 8 does. Wife took a shot at a nice young 10 that would have been her best but no dice. After that had a 140inch 10 at 25 yds for over 30 mins and no shot, ohh and he was still in full velvet!! They were super cautious tonight. Every deer we saw tonight was within 30 yds. Was a great evening to be in the woods!

bowmaddnes and woodsman92 like this.
  6. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    That’s very good you having the willpower to let that 140 walk because didn’t offer a shot while being there so close for that long. Lot of hunters would have let a arrow fly and hoped for the best.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  7. NOCAMST

NOCAMST 6 pointer

Oct 9, 2017
    Central ky
    I’m all my years I’ve never seen a deer so weary. He would literally sit for 5 to 8 minutes at a time with moving an inch just observing. He faced me the entire time then eventually did a 180 and went back the same way he came in. Always another day to chase him no need to rush a shot. I’ve learned that the hard way over the years. Was a great evening in the woods!

Feedman, woodsman92 and bgkyarcher like this.
  8. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Had a 160 class buck on me all afternoon. Have seen him in range now 6 out of 6 sets. Problem is he comes out with a herd of bucks an the does come out bout same time too. I cant get a shot off. An its driving me crazy. Several times I have had him within 15 yards. Its just not ment to be I guess yet. May move a stand this week an try to cut him off some how. If I knew what to do I would have already done it. Still in full velvet. But several are out. One is a mature 5 or 6 year old buck for sure but he wont score 130. I have seen him grunt an snort wheeze several times now over corn. He dont want any other bucks eating when he does. He done rammed a antler through my hit list buck last week. I seen it happen. But he is still alive an coming. Im sick to be honest. I have never kill a deer 160 or above. In a way I think im just blessed to see them an get that close. But another part of me is sick because I can't get it done.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  9. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

That would be tough to swallow. At least you have him patterned.
    Having all of those eyes around doesn't help.

NOCAMST and hollandhunter like this.
  10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    It is hard to be patience in that situation, HH but you will get him eventually

hollandhunter likes this.
  11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Keep the patience and focus, you'll get your opportunity.

hollandhunter likes this.
  12. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I'm trying man. I can't an wont give up. I really really wanted to get him in velvet. An im running out of time on that aspect. Looking back i could have done killed the deer with a cross bow. Since I dont have to draw an stand im certain I could have killed him by now. But truth is I want to kill him with my bow more then anything. Just a personal thing. Means nothing. An if I move the stand im gonna give up my south wind setup that is required to not get busted right now. I havent slept too good this past week to say the least. Everytime I shut my eyes I see that big blonde fuzzy rack moving through the timber.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  13. turkeyhunter91

turkeyhunter91 10 pointer

Apr 3, 2007
    Could you already be standing and have your bow close to your hand when it gets close to the time he has been coming in, not being smart just trying to think of other options lol. I have 1 stand I usually stand most of the time I'm in it cause I cant move around alot in it. I get what your saying about using a crossbow, I'm the same way, I have nothing against crossbows but I would rather use my compound but sometimes I have had to take a crossbow because of my back. Good luck hopefully the 7th time is your chance.

14. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    He will mess up and you will get the shot. The season is long,
    so take the time to get the best shot. You owe him that.
    When that happens ,be calm and put that arrow thru both lungs.
    Dont look at the antlers ,look at arrow placement.
    Dont move your stand,you are on him now.Its just a matter of time...
    160 class bucks dont show up everyday or season.
    Good Luck

1wildcatfan likes this.