Summer Coyote Calling Sequence

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Sand Gap Sniper, Aug 8, 2007.

1. i have also been haven problems with coyotes around my house and neighborhood. i have alittle dog that stays outside and everyother night he and my neighbors dog will bark all night, when they do that most of the time you can look out my backdoor and see them. me and dad have killed two or three in our yard and my neighbor has shot at that many or more. i belive that they a den close by we have looked around for one but we havent had any luck. my dad has been thinking about getting a trap and soaking some meat in antifreeze to put in it. i dont know how well that will work. i heard those calls worked really good. which kind is best the mouth calls or the audio calls ? where could i purchase one at ?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  2. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    Keep an eye on your small dog outside. Coyotes love to eat small dogs.
    I wouldn't put the antifreeze out. Your dog, or a neighbors dog might get into it. If you look out and see them, just shoot 'em.

3. Sand Gap Sniper

Sand Gap Sniper 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY
    I agree with weedwalker, I wouldn't put out any antifreeze. If you go out just before dark each night, you can probably hear them howling. I would bet that they are denning close to the first place you hear them howl each night.

If I were you, I would probably buy the electronic caller first, that way when you do buy the mouth calls, you have something to practice to. You also might want to take someone who has called in a few before trying it on your own. As far as which kind of caller to buy, if you can afford it, get a digital with a remote, something like the Foxpro. If you can't, you can get a tape caller like I have, I've got a Johnny Stewart, works great. Mouth calls, get somekind of open reed call, I've heard that the Primos coyote calls are pretty good. I have a "Song Dog" from Crit-R-Calls (love it) and a "Red Desert Howler" from Dan Thompson. Most of the open reed calls are going to be really similar, but starting out, I would get one with a smaller reed, I've found that they are easier to use, that's why I like the "Song Dog" so well.

Also, there are a bunch of websites where you can download free coyote calls, that would be good to practice to. One of them that comes to mind is www.varmintal.com . He has all kinds of info on coyote calling and hunting.

I just looked on Varmint Als site. He has a complete 20 minute & 16 minute calling sequence that you can download and play. All you SHOULD have to do it get a good set up and shoot. Go to www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm#Calling-Sequence.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  4. 1ncamo

1ncamo Spike

May 29, 2006
    Ft. Knox
    I dont know how it would work for you but I tried a nifty combo recently and foud it work out quite well. Started with an "interrogation" howl, waited about 2-3 minutes then hit the pup distress. That seems to have a big draw to it. The way it plays out in my head is that a male is challenging the territory and a pup comes to investigate and ends up getting his butt kicked. Its brought in quite a few dogs in the last few months.

5. Sand Gap Sniper

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY
    I always like to get a scenario in my head like that before I start calling too. It makes a lot more sense to do that than to just sit down and making random sounds.

6. ditchdigger

ditchdigger 8 pointer

Jul 23, 2007
    Do you think yotes are starting to cross breed with dogs? Sure seem to hear a lot of them anymore!

7. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    YES, They will breed with dogs. That's what they call a Coydog.

8. Sand Gap Sniper

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY
    I'm going to have to start cross breeding them with turtles so I can kill one. :D