Summer Coyote Calling Sequence

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Sand Gap Sniper, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Sand Gap Sniper

Sand Gap Sniper 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY
    I don't know if they have or not, I forgot to ask. It had been 3 nights since they had heard them when I got busted. My dad has told me about 3 times that if I had been sitting where he was, I would have gotten the coyote. I think he's enjoying that "I told you so" thing. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 I guess. :rolleyes:

2. bobo

bobo Fawn

Nov 17, 2005
    I dont know but,

This Sandgap Sniper sounds like he has a lot of free time on his hands! :D

3. Sand Gap Sniper

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY
    I was wondering when you would weigh in on this Bobo. If free time was something that I had an abundance of, there would probably be a lot more "coyote that got away" stories on here from me. :rolleyes:

4. Sand Gap Sniper

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY
    2nd Attempt

Well, I went back and tried them again last night. I set up in a better place, and did a completely different calling sequence. I started out with rabbit distress, then I done a couple of welcome howls, and then I popped in a "coyote locator" tape in which is just a big group howl from a bunch of coyotes. I stopped the group howl in the middle, and just a soon as I stopped it, the hollow in front of me came alive with coyotes. There was at least 5 howling back at me, maybe 6. I know 2 or 3 can sound like a bunch, but these were in different spots, so I know there was at least 5. I let them finish their howling, reached down to start the tape caller back up again, and the blankedy blank thing wouldn't do anything, never would come back on. So, I improvised, I done a couple more howls and some yips with my mouth calls, but the coyotes never would come out in the field where I could see them. Out done again. I'll say this for coyote hunting, you will have more "almost got one" stories than any other kind of hunting.

5. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    SGS, It sure sounds like you're on the right track anyway. You have 'em talking to ya. Sooner or later you'll be getting a shot. Just keep changing up your calls a little and the spots you call from so they don't get used to hearing calls from the same spot. Are you using any kind of decoy for them to home in on?

6. Sand Gap Sniper

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY
    I told my dad last night that we would end up getting one, to which he disagreed as usual. I'll give them another break and try them again, with something different like you said. I don't have a decoy, I have a buddy that has one, I need to invite him and his decoy the next time. :D

7. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    I've got one of those vibrating rabbit looking things on a stick. Or a turkey feather on a string will work.

8. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    Was going thru my MP3 sounds on my call. I have the serenade, but I found a pack howling I like better.

9. DOGY

DOGY 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2005
    London, Ky.
    What part of Laurel Co. are you seeing the black yote?:confused:

10. Sand Gap Sniper

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY
    Rabbit Distress?

You know, I was just thinking about all the coyotes that I have called in. I have yet to have one come in while I was using a "rabbit in distress" call, or any other distress call. Maybe the coyotes in this area are just really well fed and ain't hungry enough to bother. Or, maybe they are starting in while I am using it, but if that's the case, they should have plenty of time to come in since I always give 5 or 10 minutes between calling sequences. The best luck, well, actually the only luck I guess, that I have had has been while using coyote sounds. It seems to me like that the coyotes around here are way more interested in guarding their territory than filling their belly. Comments?

11. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    Interesting theory there SGS, You could be right. Sometimes it takes a lot longer for them to come in thru thick cover, and maybe they just ain't hungry. That could be "their holler" and don't want any competition. Sounds like it's working anyway.:D

And Dogy,
    I'll just say East Laurel. I don't want to pinpoint him, I'd kinda like to get him myself.:D

12. Sand Gap Sniper

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY
    Hey Weedwalker (and everybody else), is there a certain call that you have noticed that you are usually using when the coyote responds? It seems like the best sequence for me has been starting with some type of distress (like the previously mentioned bunny rabbit), then doing a couple of howls, then going on to a coyote serenade or group howl. It seems like they always respond or show up during the serenade. A lot of times they will just howl back, and then you can provoke them on in with some challenge barks, but it seems like it's always the serenade that does the trick.

13. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    The last few that I've had come in, came immediately after I started calling. I usually start with a couple young howls, wait a minute or two, then start with my Haydels Babby Rabbit. So they could be coming to the young howl or the distress. Not sure.

14. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Rabbit in distress for the majority of my calling and whipped pup for the rest.They respond to all sounds in my opinion, just not always as we would like. This sport is growing by leaps and bounds. We are no longer alone out there calling coyotes. I use all mouth calls .

Coarse cottontail does seem to work very well.. It's diferent from what most of you will get in the stores, and I haven't heard it from an e-caller yet either. The sound is very raspy and lower pitched than most factory calls. My calling style is also diferent from most people. I get fairly aggressive with a call. I keep my sequences forty seconds to 2 minutes apart. I do not call with a consistant pattern!

Weed walkers Haydels baby rabbit is a sound not heard a lot in the winter. Not many callers are using it. It's a high pitched sound very diferent from the single reed calls that are most available here in the stores.

Setup is the key to calling coyotes though, in my opinion. You have to control the aproach if you can. I called in the same male twice in the same day last year for a pair of newbies by switching sounds and setups. They still didn't get him but that is coyote hunting. First time with bird distress and the second time with a combination of rabbit and whipped pup.

BTW Weedwalker, you sound just like Keekee. I swear one of these days he's going to bust a gut calling like he does ;-) Jimmie

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  15. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    :D Thanks Jimmie. I'll take that as a compliment.:D I think.:confused: And then it just could be that I've got a lot of gut to bust.:D

On my Haydel call, I usually use the deeper pitch jackrabbit end of it too.