Summer Coyote Calling Sequence

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Sand Gap Sniper, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Sand Gap Sniper

Sand Gap Sniper 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY
    The coyotes are about to pack my parents off. They have been howling at night right under their bedroom window, and they have been getting on their neighbor's porch. They have been howling close to their house about every night. I do a lot of calling in cool weather, but I haven't hunted them much in the summer.

I was thinking about going over there Friday and trying to call one in. What's the best calling sequence to use this time of year? I was thinking maybe some pup distress or pup howls might be good to start with since thier pups are a few months old now, and then maybe going to some challenge barks. Any suggestions?

2. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 8 pointer

Sep 4, 2006
    Shepherdsville
    deer Fawn works good or pup in distess

3. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    Pup distress and pup howls, like you said, and fawn like hunterman said, and some rabbit distress. I wouldn't do much challenging right now, I think it would just scare the younger ones away.
    I'd be glad to come help you out with your problem. :D

4. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    Have you looked around for any dens? A few pups out with mom at night learning to hunt can make a lot of racket.

5. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    It's gonna be HOT Friday. Early AM or evening just B-4 dark probably best. I'd set up around some water somewhere. They'll get a drink B-4 they lay down, and again when they get up.They're saying maybe thunderstorms on Fri. If it does, that will help. I've seen coyotes out in the middle of the day here twice in the last week. Both times it was when a storm was coming thru. There's a big jet black coyote running around here just begging me to shot him.:D

6. Sand Gap Sniper

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY
    I haven't looked for any dens. Their neighbor pores scraps out behind their house and the coyotes eat them. I'm pretty sure that's what keeps them hanging around there.

My dad said it sounded like a dozen, I told him it was probably 2 or 3. I know that 2 or 3 can sould like a herd.

7. Sand Gap Sniper

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY

Yeah, they are hearing them just before dark, no more than an hour before dark. My Mom said that she had heard them one morning just after daylight. It sounds like we need to get together and do some coyote hunting pretty soon.

8. etownhunter

etownhunter 12 pointer

Mar 21, 2004
    Central ky
    Last week i saw a huge male blonde, had the best summer coat i have seen at 10:30am! If i only had my AR!!!!

9. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    Tried to see if I could call that black one in for about an hour this morning. Didn't see anything. Should have used the bug spray. Them skeeters were hungry.

10. Sand Gap Sniper

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY
    Well Weedwalker, it turned out that I didn't have to meet with that guy last night, so I went ahead and made a set up below my parents house. I set up in the edge of the woods next a big field. I started with a pup distress tape about 8:30, didn't see anything, so I did a few pup howls with a mouth call, didn't see anthing, so I waited a few minutes and put a coyote serenade tape in. Right in the middle of the serenade, a coyote started challenge barking at me from about 75 yards away, he was over the hill in the hollow below me. I thought to myself, this one is going to come up in the woods behind me, so I jumped up, pulled the bipod off my rifle and got ready, he started coming up the hill, sure enough, in the woods. He was still challenge barking, he got so close that I could hear his feet in the leaves, I know he was less than 20 yards, but the undergrowth was so thick that I never could see him. He must have got my scent at about 20 yards, he never made another sound. I never heard him walk again or anything. He outdone me this time :mad:, maybe next time I'll get the upper hand.

There is one coyote that my dad says sounds alot like a dog howling, says he sounds different than all the rest. I wonder what the chances are of a coydog being the leader of a pack. My dad was with me last night, and he said the one that was challenge barking sounded like the oddball the he usually hears.

11. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    Sand Gap Sniper, WTG, At least you got some action out of him. It's still exciting to call one in even if you don't get a shot. I haven't used the serinade in a long time. Maybe I need to load it back into my MP3 caller. Did you stop calling when he was coming in, or leave it playing? Is there any way you could have setup to where your scent would be going into an open area? You know he's there know so maybe in a few days you'll be able to finish him.
    I'd say a coydog could be the leader, as long as he can whip the rest of them.

12. Sand Gap Sniper

Aug 29, 2006
    Sand Gap, KY

It was exiting, he had my heart a thumping. I've had a lot of luck with the seranade. In the exitement, I stopped the caller, when he started challenge barking me, I challenge barked back at him a couple times, that's when he started to me. There was no wind stirring when I was there, at least not enough that you could feel it, I didn't know where my scent would go, so I just picked the spot on how well I could see. I bet that if I had gotten up where my dad was sitting, he would have came out into the open. He may be too smart to fall for the same calling sequence the next time, I think if I go back, I'll try appeal to his belly, yummmm, rabbit... BOOM!!!:D At least I hope so anyways, what do you think?

13. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    Yeah, I'd give him a few days to get it off his mind. Then change up a little on the calls. It's hard to say. I have hunted the same stand twice in one day and killed coyotes the second time. The main thing I figured out about coyotes is, they're hard to figure out.:D

14. carpenterguy

carpenterguy 8 pointer

Nov 9, 2006
    Burkesville, Ky
    Boy you got that right. They're just so darn smart that seems they know what we're doing.:D

15. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    Sand Gap Sniper,
    Have they heard the coyotes over there since you got busted?