Success to hunting the Rut

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Tyler Bacic, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Tyler Bacic

Tyler Bacic Fawn

Oct 9, 2017
    Berea, KY
    So I myself have never actually used a grunt call, rattle, or even some code blue doe estrous, which is more likely to bring the big one in and how should it be used?

2. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    At this point, your best bet is the "sit still and stay awake" call. The deer will be moving with the rut picking up, and the temps dropping. Don't try too hard.

3. Tyler Bacic

Tyler Bacic Fawn

Oct 9, 2017
    Berea, KY
    any advice to hunting in the rain, since sunday its supposed to pour.

4. kyhunter110

kyhunter110 8 pointer

Apr 6, 2006
    Lexington
    Best advice I can give is hunt from a blind. I've sat a few times this season in downpours. Seen deer everytime

iwuvhunting and bdbrown66 like this.
  5. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    The key to success in the rut is to hunt all day. Pack in a lunch, water and toilet paper and sit tight.

Regulator623 and bdbrown66 like this.
  6. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    Hunt a pinch or funnel feature. Be quiet. Don’t stink. Don’t miss..

Blackdog85 and Mainbeam like this.
  7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I would not tell a new hunter to hunt in the rain. You will struggle blood trailing after the shot. If it looks like its going to be letting up at some point by all means hunt.

elkaholic likes this.
  8. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Best thing to bring in a big one is a hot doe and luck. And being in the right place at the right time.

9. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Don’t leave your stand. Hunt dark to dark during the rut it could happen any second a Biggen Can come by mid day, bright and early, or right before dark pushing a doe or just cruising. Be ready and alert also. Ive had them come through chasing a doe full blast gone before I got my gun up. I’ve never had luck rattling but some do. I blind call up bucks every year with grunt call and doe estrous bleat that I have no doubt I wouldn’t have seen otherwise. I call every 10-15 mins with great success. Have shot good bucks in downpours so stick it out. I’ve been known to take me a walk and stretch my legs during the rain as you don’t make no noise. Have shot numerous during the rain on a little hike. Some may not agree with my approach but works well for me.

iwuvhunting likes this.