Suburban or tahoe

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by willy09, Jul 7, 2015.

1. willy09

willy09 Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Seen the Toyota post so thought I'd post on here about this, I'm getting rid of a 2011 ford explorer and gonna buy a suburban or tahoe, not the new body style I hate those but some where between a 07 and a 13 or 14 depending on miles, etc. Surely someone on here drives one. Any problems? The explorer runs great no issues but man its uncomfortable to ride in.

2. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I have a 2000 Tahoe that I bought new. I know this is a much older truck than what you are looking for, but it has been a great truck. I just rolled over 250,000 miles on it. I don't like the new body style either....I'm gonna keep this truck until the wheels fall off.

3. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    01 Tahoe here. If you have a big garage and can park it, go Burb. If not Tahoe. Mileage is about the same.

4x4 switch is known to fail due to soldering issue...$88 switch. 240k on ours....not the first problem knock on wood

4. littleboots

littleboots 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2008
    depends on what you are going to do with it. I have had both. if you do a lot of road trips the extra road in the sub comes in handy, around town it is a pain. i have a TAHOE now and miss the extra room about three or four times a year on trips, but parking and backing up boat easier. mileage about the same

5. remman2

remman2 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2014
    I have a 2013 Yucon XL and it's been a great family vehicle but leaves a lot to be desired as a tow vehicle. I've owned a 2000, 2004 and 2013. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Get the 2500 series then

7. 150PandY

150PandY BBBC Members

Sep 9, 2004
    Frankfort, KY, USA.
    We have an 07 Tahoe and we love it. Had a few problems recently but I think most are a result of my wife getting rear ended a few years ago.
    They ride great and very comfortable. We are actually thinking of buying a new one. We would get the suburban but it won't fit in the garage. Haha

8. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

I have a new 2015, I know you said you hated the new body style. I bet you'd change your mind if you drove one.[emoji6]

9. willy09

willy09 Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Just had a dealer let me walk off from a sale over 545 bucks!! Ahhh I hate buying cars!!

10. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    That's why I always do all my negotiating for cars via phone and email. Basically, find what I want, walk off the lot, then call the guy back in an hour and tell him what I'm willing to pay for it. They usually complain they can't do it for that, and I tell them that's fine, there are plenty of other dealerships, but call me back if you change your mind. Throw in I'm paying cash with no financing, and that's usually enough to get them to move.

11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I'm sure dealerships outsource the financing aspect, but don't they somehow make more money if you finance a car through them or their finance company? When we bought my truck, the guy kept hounding us to fill out the forms for a credit check and really wanted to discuss financing options. We didn't let him know that we would be paying in full until everything was determined and a price agreed upon. I have no idea if that's the right tactic or not, but that's what we did.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  12. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I would argue it's the correct approach. I always talk out the door price, not payments. I'm sure they get some sort of kickback for financing through them, or they wouldn't do it. They also try to add aftermarket "warranties" saying it will only cost "X amount more per month".

I usual pay cash for cars, mostly because I generally buy used, but the last one was a new KIA SUV for my wife. I negotiated the price sitting in a hotel in NYC, and told them if it changed a penny when I got there, I was walking back out the door. They didn't change the price, but they tried to sell me a "KIA" aftermarket warranty that would basically extend the full bumper to bumper to 100,000 miles. It was an OK price, so I asked to see the documentation on that. He couldn't produce it, and was upset that I turned it down. I'm sure they make a ton of money on those.

We ended up buying the car for the agreed price, and the dealership kept calling me twice a week offering this warranty. I kept asking for documentation and they simply couldn't produce any. I finally told them that they were trying to scam me, which they denied. I got curious and called KIA corporate, and they told me they have no such program. Next day the dealer manager called to apologize and said it was a misunderstanding. I did not accept either his apology, or his explanation. Two weeks later I get a $250 Visa gift card and apology letter from a KIA VP saying they didn't condone the actions of the dealership. 6 months later they were no longer a KIA dealership, so I guess my issue wasn't the only one.

That's a long story to say I think car dealerships and their salesmen are gigantic scam artists in large part, and the less you actually have to deal with them in the transaction, the better.

13. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    That's a long story to say I think car dealerships and their salesmen are gigantic scam artists in large part, and the less you actually have to deal with them in the transaction, the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I've worked as a salesman at 2 dealerships in louisville and can tell you, for the most part that is true but not always. It is usually the sales manager that is the crook without scruples. The salesman is just trying to sell a car, the sales manager is trying to rip out your pooper and sell you a new one.
    I remember sitting down to negotiate a price on a brand new 97 toyota 4 runner and the customer offered to put down 5 grand and pay $1000 a month ( apparently they had more money than sense). With 5000 down, payments should have been about 400 a month. I knew I would make a big lick on it but took it back to the sales manager for approval. The sales manager countered with 5000 down and 1500 a month. I had to look the customer in the eye with a straight face and give them the managers price. The customers ( husband and wife) looked at each other and said, "ok, sounds good".
    Moral of the story, car dealerships are usually crooks but it's frequently not the salesman. Also, for the dealer, it's typically not how much they come down on price, but how many times. If the dealer drops the price 3 times at 500 each time, the customer feels like they are getting a good deal, as opposed to the dealer dropping the price 1500 all at once where the customer still wants the dealer to drop the price.
    Now to the OPs question, as others have said, if you need the space and have room to park it, get the burban. If not get the tahoe.

14. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I've worked as a salesman at 2 dealerships in louisville and can tell you, for the most part that is true but not always. It is usually the sales manager that is the crook without scruples. The salesman is just trying to sell a car, the sales manager is trying to rip out your pooper and sell you a new one.
    I remember sitting down to negotiate a price on a brand new 97 toyota 4 runner and the customer offered to put down 5 grand and pay $1000 a month ( apparently they had more money than sense). With 5000 down, payments should have been about 400 a month. I knew I would make a big lick on it but took it back to the sales manager for approval. The sales manager countered with 5000 down and 1500 a month. I had to look the customer in the eye with a straight face and give them the managers price. The customers ( husband and wife) looked at each other and said, "ok, sounds good".
    Moral of the story, car dealerships are usually crooks but it's frequently not the salesman. Also, for the dealer, it's typically not how much they come down on price, but how many times. If the dealer drops the price 3 times at 500 each time, the customer feels like they are getting a good deal, as opposed to the dealer dropping the price 1500 all at once where the customer still wants the dealer to drop the price.
    Now to the OPs question, as others have said, if you need the space and have room to park it, get the burban. If not get the tahoe.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, should have been more clear. The salesman I dealt with on the phone was great. It was the sales manager, and dealer manager I had issues with. The finance manager tried to jump in also to sell me their fake warranty.

Back to the OP, I drive both Tahoes and Burbs as rental cars a few times a year. They are usually newer and both drive and ride fantastically. We get the burbs when we have to pack 3-4 guys each, and their luggage and it handles it with no problem. If it were me, I'd get the Tahoe, it will actually fit in a lot of garages, albeit with little space left over. The burb you'd need a barn.