Stuff I learned about hunting while hunting

aaronc

12 pointer
Jul 21, 2009
3,108
Leitchfield
What I've learned......

There is no perfect day

You can't killem from the couch

Every 15 minutes is a brand new day..dont worry bout what just happened.... just hunt.....all day.

When I hear all the city folk fire their new side by side dune buggies up bout 0900 cause they just can't take it anymore.....i grip my kill stick a little tighter cause things could be fixin to get hot.
 

deerjw

6 pointer
Feb 20, 2005
265
Henderson, KY
"Take what the day gives you".
Over the years we have established some really good hunting sites on our property. I used to start thinking I should probably be in one of our other stands when the action was slow. Once I adopted the philosophy above I don't have that problem any more or at least not as much.
 

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
14,309
My 2nd post...
1. It's great to have older family members in the woods with you. However, the older they get the noisier they get and they also care nothing about time. (Still wouldn't trade em for all the gold in the world tho)
2. For ground blind haters like me, you will always hear something crawling in the leaves and see huge spiders in your ground blind when you do decide to use a ground blind, reassuring your thoughts of why you hate ground blinds.
3. When you let a buck pass during gun season and he heads over toward the property line you will hear gunshots.
4. Walkie talkies...how is it you pick up on morons on all 22 frequencies?
 

yelper

8 pointer
Nov 17, 2003
678
.
The water in the creek crossing is always 2" deeper than your boots are tall.

You always see the largest bucks that day you left the release in the bow case.

Your stand is absolutely quiet except that one time a 150 class comes into view and you slowly turn to get ready for the shot and it croaks like a Blue Heron getting goosed.
 

Outdoor_np

6 pointer
Nov 24, 2016
114
South Central Kentucky
  • If you pack everything you think you might need in your backpack, you won't realize what you really need is in the truck until you're settled 25 feet up in your climber and you've walked 1/2 mile to get to your spot

  • If nature is calling and you spend 5 minutes looking around for that quiet deer slipping into range before you lower yourself down to relieve yourself, it will NOT show itself until you've successfully lowered your gun/bow to the ground

  • Every stray dog in the zip code will pass through your hunting area at what you consider the "prime time" for deer activity
 

T-wil69

10 pointer
Jan 16, 2015
1,375
That food you packed for an all day sit will be gone by 9

Not every car honk you hear is a deer headed your way

If you hunt close to a parkway, everyone knows where you are and will stop at nothing to hit that rumble strip

If you saved a good spot for the first day of gun season its guaranteed that the first thing you will see is a coyote
 
Where you think deer are coming from,put treestand on oppisote side of tree.Never fails they pop up.You can sit all day watching field,nothing.Half hour before dark,dogs show up.If I covered something somebody else posted,sorry.Atv run great all season,except opening morning.Did not read all post.
 

Mainbeam

12 pointer
Jul 7, 2012
7,504
Only in september when its 95 in the shade will you get 25 ft up in the climber and drop something that you just cant do without.
 

yelper

8 pointer
Nov 17, 2003
678
.
You know walking on that old log across the deep ditch is a no brainer, even in the dark. There is NO WAY your portable stand on your back could catch a branch as you jump onto it causing you to to fall off into the brush and alert everything within 300 yards. :)
 

TripleGee

12 pointer
Sep 13, 2003
5,797
Somerset
That fellow that slipped by thirty minutes after daylight is coming back by in a couple hours!
In my case, he walks 35 yards on down the logging road, squats on the upper bank and lights a cigarette. First I whistle softly, then have to use my flashlight to get his attention. He finishes his cigarette, gets up and pees, then walks on down the SAME road thereby cutting me off the rest of the morning.
 

TripleGee

12 pointer
Sep 13, 2003
5,797
Somerset
If you're sitting on the ground leaned against a beech tree, that mouse that came out and is making a racket in front of you WILL crawl up your open pants leg 90% of the time. The other 10% it will jump on your pants and run up towards YOU. Cover blown from the Wild Woods Dance.
 


Latest posts

Top