Strangest Thing You've Caught While Fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Regulator623, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Shot a big longnose gar at Nolin tailwaters that had a lamprey attached to the gill plate. It was about 8" long. Nasty thing. First and only one I've ever seen. That was about 12 years ago

2. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I caught a decent crappie out of Barren once. Never done it before or since from that mudhole. Strange.

Nock likes this.
  3. My buddy hooked a bat in his trailer hook that flew right behind him in his back swing, backlashed the reel so bad he wound up cutting it all out. We released the bat in some buck brush but it was dripping blood from the entry and exit wound on side of its head. I’d imagine a water snake got him.

1396058F-4FD9-4C17-8EE3-0CCAC3ECDB34.jpeg

4. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Another good one I forgot about. Fishing the river deadline as a kid, I hadnt caught anything for a while. Reeled my line in and had a muscle clamped down on my hook and worm.
    Also, same stretch of river, we caught several Hellbenders one day while it was snowing. First time I had ever saw one and also the last. I think we caught 6 or 7 that day. Some nasty creatures.

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I caught a Lawyer once out of the Wolf River up in Wisconsin.....if you don't know what a Lawyer is look it up. First I had ever heard of such a thing.

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Looked it up. Crazy looking, like part eel or something. Read where they are good to eat. Think I’ll pass.

7. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    I had a bat grab my line once while hybrid fishing, thought I had a hit and set the hook. Of course no fish but still felt weight. Reeled it in til the 1st eye and he started squealing, didn't know what the hell was going on. Shined a flashlight on it and then seen what it was. I shook the shat out of him and he still wouldn't let go. Finally dipped him in the water and he let go of the line. Another time while hybrid fishing, using live shad i thought I was hung up on something close to the bank so I pulled and it started going out to deep water. Thought it was a big flathead. I was using 10 pound test so I took it easy with it. It ended up pulling a big boat with me and 2 other guys in it close to 1/4 mile out in the lake. By then I'm getting tired from fighting it and told the other guys, it's either coming in or it's gonna break my line. I reeled it up, they were shining flashlights and got a glimpse of it and they said, it's a BIG flathead. I finally got it in and it was a flat rock a little bigger than a plate. I guess the closer it would get to the top of the water the heavier it would get and then it would start taking drag but going away from the boat instead of straight down like you would think a rock would do. We laughed our ass's off. For sure the longest fight by far I've ever had on a fishin pole and ended up being a damn rock but it sure did act and feel like a big fish.

Grago, bondhu and drakeshooter like this.
  8. Reminds me of a huge flathead I battled one night smallie fishing on Kentucky Lake. We use 20 pound fluorescent Stren for night fishing so it was on. Took me 30-40 minutes to get him to the surface and he was so big only half would fit in the net. My buddy really didn’t want it in his bass boat anyway so we released it beside the boat. No idea what he weighed and with those big flatheads especially at night it was anybody’s guess. I’m gonna say 50-60 pounds but that’s honestly a shot in the dark.

Nock and bondhu like this.
  9. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    My favorite fish

drakeshooter likes this.
  10. savagehunter

savagehunter Fawn

May 28, 2019
    glasgow ky
    I wade a small creek in barren county (ky) I've caught womens panties bras sunglass beachtowels o yes and fish. u never know whats on the end of your line. lol

xbokilla and Feedman like this.
  11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Got any pics??:):):)

12. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    The dead sea as I call it. lol It's probably hard to believe but back before they put a size limit on crappie on Barren we used to catch the hell out of good ones. My brother caught one that was 22 inches.

13. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    World record black crappie was 19 inches

14. I’ve never seen black crappie listed with a world record length, just weight. It is listed at 5 pounds 4.6 oz and caught in east TN in 2018. I looked several places and could find no length listed.
    F88B76E9-E0B9-4D42-A6BD-64B75EA727D6.jpeg

TripleGee likes this.
  15. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    19.3". I don't remember where I read that, but I read that lol. Somebody will find it to back me up lol

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020