strange bird

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by trust me, Aug 25, 2009.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    A buddy sent me this picture he took the other day. He said it was the elusive Long Necked Chestnut Picker. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. Anybody know anything about it?

[​IMG]

2. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    TM, I may be wrong but it looks more like the very rare and elusive Greater Mottle Breasted Limb Grasper to me.Since not alot is known of this bird I may be wrong!

3. crossfire

crossfire 8 pointer

Jun 13, 2006
    Mayfield, Ky
    I could be wrong, but it closely resembles that creature that the KDWFR has on the front cover of their hunting guide this year that most thought was extinct in Kentucky due to lack of vision and management exclusively for them in favor of another revenue-generating critter with long antlers that now roam eastern Kentucky!

4. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    It looks just like the one I seen headed north with out the stick and bandana.:D Nice picture, hopefully she has a bunch of little ones.

5. BurleyDog

BurleyDog 10 pointer

Jul 4, 2007
    That is an awesome picture. Is that a chinkapin the grouse is in?

My heart is racing!

6. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose

I say photoshop!!!! tain't none of them things around. :D

What a great picture.

7. Grouse_Hunter

Grouse_Hunter Fawn

Jul 11, 2009
    Virginia
  8. Mtdrummer

Mtdrummer Spike

Jun 30, 2008
    Paintsville, KY
    If I could see the other side I might be able to id it for you. But, it's been at least 10 years since I have seen one close up (around here).

9. Sialia67

Sialia67 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2008
    Rowan County
    Great photo! Looks like sawtooth oaks are the answer for young birds.....:eek:)

10. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I don't hunt them strange birds but I am glad for a thread about something other than squirrells. Small game forum had done turned into the squirrell forum.

11. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Kentucky small game is just about down to squirrels only. Rabbits and quail been struggling for years, grouse are down, thank goodness squirrels are plentiful this year.

12. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    True! And it should not be that way!Can you remember the time when there were no deer or turkey?Everyone hunted rabbit, quail, grouse, and squirrel and we had plenty!It all seemed to turn about the time we lost our quail, been downhill ever since. Sorry, just felt like venting. One more thing,seems we do have more quail, just hard to find anyone that will let you hunt or..........their saving them for their Grandson that just bought a bird dog. I hear that one a lot!:D I offered one guy 100 quail, he said no I think he was afraid I would want to come back and hunt them!:eek:

13. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    I located this last week, good looking group of young grouse.

[​IMG]

14. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    They should be awkward teenagers flying into windows in August, not chicks in the nest...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  15. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    The Oak Tree looks like a Korean or Saw tooth Oak.