Strader Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KTF, Aug 6, 2012.

1. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Who is Strader? About 80% of the state doesn't care.

2. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    I think that would be closer to 99%.

Good to know the sportsmen and women of Kentucky won't be paying for defending against this anymore.

3. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

I notice the court only ruled on Strader not being damaged financially by the Dept.'s actions, but remained silent on the validity of the underlying claims.

A conspiracy theorist might opine that a Franklin Co. Court found a way to dismiss a suit against a state agency without specifically speaking to the actual claims.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  4. littleboots

littleboots 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2008
    Federal Judge not state

5. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
  6. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    I wrote the following column from my hospital bed for our Club's newsletter. I am recovering from a life-threatening illness and after 3 months expect to go home this week. I'll live and be able to hunt and fish and enjoy the great outdoors very soon. Anyway, I'd like to share with you the thoughts of a guy who had to stare down the barrels of the hereafter and the unique perspective that such a reprieve gave me. I meant every word of it when I wrote it and now that it appears that the Almighty wasn't quite ready for me yet, I mean it even more. I hope it give us all something about which to ruminate.

Bully Pulpit
    Those of you who read the June edition of the 'Creeker Gazette realize I've been sick. Really sick, as in the doctors gave me an 80/20 shot of needing Ratterman's service. Well, I fooled the doctors, therapists and myself. I am alive and well on the mend.

One of the things that happen while you're flat on your back in a hospital is that you have a lot of time to think. When my head cleared, that's exactly what I did. After a great deal of thought, I thought I'd ink this column to save you the trouble of having to mull these vagaries of life over.

First is that only Man has the capacity for anger and bitterness. An animal may attack you to protect its young, protect its food source, if you look like a fuel source or if perceives you as a threat. It is incapable of doing so out of anger or bitterness, just self-preservation.

Second, is that there is no more foul taste than that of anger or bitterness. Again, only man experiences it on anything higher than a survival level.

Third is that those who read this newsletter are members of a very unique brotherhood...those who appreciate the bounty of God's green earth and who toil to conserve it and pass it on to another generation.

With those three things in mind, I'd like to address each one of you, friend and foe alike.

First of all, I'm losing my taste for having foes. Sure we might disagree upon the road map necessary to get us to the finish line, but we all seem to instinctively know where the start line begins and the finish line ends. In that vein, I owe a number of you apologies.

Many times I've had strong disagreements with others about the best ways to conserve our resources and to pass our glorious traditions to the next generation. Too often, I didn't necessarily try to register my point or convince the other guy. Sadly, I was more interested in vanquishing a fellow sportsman. Some of those fights got dirty and welled up the foul taste of bitterness from my stomach. Did it hurt the other guy? Usually not... More than likely, it mattered little to him and I needlessly besmirched the good name of an otherwise nice fellow and put myself in a dither that did no one any good. To that legion of folks, I offer my sincerest of apologies. You probably didn't deserve the ration of fecal matter I dished out to you. It probably blackened my soul more than it hurt you. Richard Nixon made a good point of this in his final speech to the White House staff on the morning of his final day His talk said (in part) “And as I leave, let me say, that is an example I think all of us should remember. We think sometimes when things happen that don't go the right way; we think that when you don't pass the bar exam the first time—I happened to, but I was just lucky; I mean, my writing was so poor the bar examiner said, "We have just got to let the guy through." We think that when someone dear to us dies, we think that when we lose an election, we think that when we suffer a defeat that all is ended. We think, as T.R. (Theodore Roosevelt) said, that the light had left his life forever.

Not true. It is only a beginning, always. The young must know it; the old must know it. It must always sustain us, because the greatness comes not when things go always good for you, but the greatness comes and you are really tested, when you take some knocks, some disappointments, when sadness comes, because only if you have been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

And so I say to you on this occasion, as we leave, we leave proud of the people who have stood by us and worked for us and served this country.

We want you to be proud of what you have done. We want you to continue to serve in government, if that is your wish. Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.

And so, we leave with high hopes, in good spirit, and with deep humility, and with very much gratefulness in our hearts. I can only say to each and every one of you, we come from many faiths, we pray perhaps to different gods—but really the same God in a sense—but I want to say for each and every one of you, not only will we always remember you, not only will we always be grateful to you but always you will be in our hearts and you will be in our prayers.

Thank you very much."

In what might have been Trick Dick's finest hour, he clearly explained what I've come to believe on the road to recovery. Hate, anger and resentment are solely the providence of humans and limit us a less peaceful and harmonious life. As I recover, I intend to do everything of which I' capable of doing to be positive and to make sure that the things I think and say are constructive, rather than vaingloriously tearing some else down.

The other thing I 'm doing here is ranging out on a long limb that I crawled upon in 1990. I want to tell you my gentle and loyal readers that I love you. Not in the "don't ask-don't tell" way or the used car salesman way, but as members of the sporting brotherhood to which you've allowed me to be part. We are all groping for the same thing, the preservation of our traditions and folkways and the conservation over that which we have been given stewardship. In the heat of battle, it's often easy to lose sight that under our skin, we are more alike than different. I hope that I've addressed this commonality and that I rejoice in it day. We are truly blessed people.

Thank you all for your prayers, blessings good thoughts and visits. You have helped me more with my ongoing recovery than you will ever imagine.

God bless you one and all.

Terry Sullivan

7. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    On a side note Terry, its good to see you back and Im glad top hear your fairing well..

8. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Kudos to you Terry for pushing through your illness and refining your approach to conflict. I too have faced the moment of clarity from grim prognosis. The world will move on without us, so no need in creating enemies.

9. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Had the Dept lost, it would affect 100% of Kentucky's hunters and fishermen as money would go to Strader and not to other dept things.

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Just my opinion.... but the law suit in itself did indeed cost KY's sportsmen regardless of this judgement.

It cost "us" sportsmens dollars & resources from day one it was filed and KDF&WR's began the legal battle against to now.

Which the majority of it was nothing more than Straders "legend in his own mind" mentality and ultimately his own personal financial gain. Which... supposedly being the "self appointed" voice of Ky's sportsmen he thought KDF&WR's should cater to him .... because by gosh he's Jim Strader. Nothing more than an bruised ego that led to a personal vandetta against John Gassett that led to all of this.

Strader plum lost sight of whats important .....and especially that the majority of sportsmen either dont know who he is ....or do'nt really give a dam about his financial well being.

Sure... KDF&WR's is'nt perfect....but nothing in life is. Theres many things that need to change and not to say bringing some "transparency" & "limitations" was'nt needed. But its a fine line to work towards a common goal and not letting your personal emotions cloud whats right...or whats wrong.

Ultimately..... Daking has found the right attitude as such...and I personally am guilty of harboring ill feelings on certain subjects and those involved.

As I look back on this subject... theres fences still to mend , plenty of regrets... and statements I wish I could erase. In whole... it's just not personally that important... and definitely not a priority as I once thought it was. Guess we all live & learn.

However .... forgiveness is something you really have to work towards..... because ... not wishing anyone ill feelings over opinions...just not my nature. But....I'm still pretty sure with this individual....he still be last person I'd "urinate" on if he was on fire.

11. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    I for one am glad it has ended in the way in which it should have... JD as usual you make some most excellent points!

Terry continued improvement and best wishes to you sir!

12. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

JD,

I happen to agree with you although I hold the opposite perspective on the issue.

Personally ... I know what I know ... and having Gassett screw me over and lie to my face in the past, I have no use for him now or in the future.

But, here's where we agree ... it is no longer personally worth the effort to remain involved in Gassett's (or Strader's) world. I plan on spending the remainder of my finite sporting life around those of MY choosing, while following my own rules for right and wrong. Luckily, they match up pretty well with those of the KDFWR, but when they don't I no longer give them a second thought.

13. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    What frequency is WHAS? I am kind of curious if I can get it. Strader's website shows they have a roadcast area as far west as kansas and all the states in the south.

I really am kind of perplexed how I have only ever heard about the guy here and only of his lawsuit against KDFWR.