Store bought Country ham

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by pondbuster, Apr 22, 2021.

1. pondbuster

pondbuster 6 pointer

Aug 6, 2006
    Past years we killed and salt cured our hams.

I stopped at the grocery the other day and they had country hams for 1.99 a pound.

Does anyone do anything different to store bought hams? I saw where a guy would lay his in a plastic tub of sugar then hang it for June sweat? Or just hang it hock down and forget about it until Christmas? Your thoughts?

2. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    My only thought is that I've tried every store bought ham I can find and, have never found one as good as the ones made at home. Has to be the way it's aged.

bondhu and barney like this.
  3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    If you're talking about a fully cured whole country ham, the freezer is the best place to put it until you're ready to prepare it.

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've always bought Clifty Farms, and just sliced them and ate them. Used to by Ballance hams until they went out of business several years back.

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. barney likes this.
  6. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Gotta agree that the home (or in our case, 4-H) cured hams are better than anything in the stores. Man, I miss when my kids were home & did the 4-H ham thing every year. We'd end up with 4 hams a year... Yum!!!!!!!

ANYWAY, whether 4-H or store, we slice 'em up, vacuum seal meal-sized servings & toss 'em in the freezer until we're ready to eat.