Storage container turned pit, any info?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by xtrema2, Feb 15, 2019.

1. xtrema2

xtrema2 8 pointer

Dec 18, 2005
    henderson
    bought a 20ft storage container and are going to turn it into a pit. Looking for information from people that have done it before. It's going to be in a flooded field so it has to be water tight. Anyone ever done this that could provide some dos and don'ts by chance. Thanks

Cape Hillian likes this.
  2. rcatron

rcatron 8 pointer

Apr 12, 2010
    winchester, ky
    All I know is make sure its well anchored. Sounds like a fun project. Post some pics as you build it.

hunt-4-life21 likes this.
  3. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Wasting your time. Container is not made to withstand side loading. There will be so many braces inside to prevent implosion moving will become cumbersome.

carnivore likes this.
  4. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    I agree with Bowfinger, you will spend two or three times as much trying to convert that box into a pit as you would ordering a pit designed the way you want it. Here is a link to just one place you can order one up. http://www.osceolamachine.net/ducks-pits-ducks-blinds/

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  5. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    My lease this year was one of those pit blinds. 14ft plus a dog box. It sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are the most uncomfortable pit I've ever hunted in. I could make you a whole list of stuff I hated about that pit.

I'd much rather try a storage container just to see if it would work before I bought one of those pits.

6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    The image below demonstrates what a shipping container lacks structurally in order not to implode. Bowfinger is correct the bracing you are going to have to do on the inside is going to be in your way.
    [​IMG]

7. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    I dont see why it wouldnt work if you have any doubts on the strength stud it up with some 2x4 tubing and tie it all back in together. Yall have the skill and equipment available to make it work. And its not like its gonna be dug up and moved every year or anything.

8. littletom

littletom 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    Knob Lick, Ky
    I think neck banded coot use to post on here about one. We used to hunt in big buried tanks off trucks in ballard alot back in the 90's

9. xtrema2

xtrema2 8 pointer

Dec 18, 2005
    henderson
    Were gonna try it. If things start going south then we will dig it back out and add bracing. It's got beams at the top and bottom, were thinking of we tie those together in a couple places with I beams then we might be ok. Will definitely take pics.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  10. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Good luck. Hope you get it figured out!

11. Cape Hillian

Cape Hillian Spike

Jul 23, 2017
    Hendo
    We have a few at our club. They're like anything else, you get out of it what you put in it.
    Just elevate your floor to allow some water to stay in the bottom to help from floating it out.We also attached wire cables to each end with six feet of oil field pipe buried to secure it.
    We used oil field pipe to frame it up make our shooting deck and brace it up.We used expanded metal for floor decking.
    if done right it will last you forever and you can make it as customized and comfortable a you want.
    you'll burn a lot of rods but in the end you'll have a nice pit that will last you forever.

xtrema2 likes this.