Still a few days out

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Tilster, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Tilster

Tilster Spike

Feb 12, 2012
    I had to drive from Paducah to Evansville early this morning, as I do frequently. Left at 5:30. I was rubbernecking the fields the whole way and never saw the first live deer and all the road kills were does except 1 little spike. Usually when the rut is in high gear, I see numerous deer out in the fields and several freshly demised bucks along the sides of the interstate. Between that and what I'm seeing on the farm I hunt, the rut still hasn't busted into crazy mode yet.
    Last year I remember my fields turning into an absolute deer circus during the latter part of the first week of gun season. We'll see!

2. Huntin' Fool

Huntin' Fool 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2014
    I agree. The bucks are rutting good in anticipation but I don't think the majority of does have come in yet. Still going to be exciting. I would like to have tagged this weekend but its hard on opening day once the blasting starts. Found a real good area Sunday evening with great sign. Going to let it settle and hunt all day Wednesday. Im hoping it pays dividends. Lots of time left so we shall see. Good luck!!

3. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    From what I am seeing in the area I hunt , I agree with that. Lots of small bucks looking but almost all does without bucks.

4. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    Virtually everyone I've talked to and myself would agree.

5. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing the same thing. I was thinking maybe it was just on my place! LOL

6. JHUBB

JHUBB Spike

Sep 18, 2012
    I agree. The only thing I saw chasing this weekend was little bucks. I did see 2 decent 8 pointers, but they were just cruising by themselves and freshening scrapes.

7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I may be wrong ... but I'll share my thoughts.

In my opinion the rut is in high gear pretty much state wide.

I think the difference this season with field sightings and fewer road kills is an above average acorn mast. In turn the deer are not traveling to the ag fields or crossing highways as you normally associate as a barometer to judge by.

The deer and rut activity in general is concentrated to the hardwoods. Which can relate from farm to farm and how hunters normally set-up. Field stands even food plots are not necessarily going to be productive and their observation / sightings are going to give the impression that the rut is not in full swing. Which in reality is far from the truth.

This is a season where you have to adapt to conditions or your going to miss out the best deer hunting of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    I am another that thinks it hasn't started good yet. All I am seeing is lone bucks just feeding and lone does or does with yearlings doing the same thing. No action at all. Got several night pics of bucks alone doing the same thing they've been doing all year.

9. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    you're right. i drove from murray to marion county the past two weekends on the WK and I've only seen 3 live deer from road, all does, and all the road kill has been 6pts or less or does. The full moon is whats really hurting the hunting IMO. they stay up all night chasing and bed down during the day.

10. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Same here. What few Does I've seen are very relaxed and aren't being hounded by bucks.

11. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    You mentioned staying bedded. Yesterday had a deer come in around 1030 and stayed on bed till almost 430

12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Again ... I'm not trying to dispute your sightings but just suggesting that observation has skewed the thought process concerning what is actually going on.

I live in Murray and my farm is in the northern part of Christian county. I'm traveling through Calloway, Marshall, Trigg and Christian counties and will even add that 50 acres of my place is actually in Todd.

My observation is were in full swing and have been since before Halloween concerning chasing and rut activity in general. Fact is I'm under the impression that many mature bucks are pretty much locked down with does right now.

Which I do agree that in my travels it's not been a lot of field sightings and roadkills may be down a tad. But it's not telling the true story as its a different kind of year with the heavy acorn crop. We had a year like this a few years ago... harvest was even down. But it wasn't for lack of deer or the rut phases... it was primarily because hunters wouldn't change / adapt to the fact the deer were concentrated in the timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. slimshad

slimshad 8 pointer

Oct 29, 2008
    USA
    I saw two bucks in Muhlenburg county locked. They were not chasing. just staying with the does. Also counted over 30 hit by cars from New Albany IN to Dale IN and then Down to Central City.

14. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I was just telling a guy about the heavy acorn crop we had a few years ago and how hunting was tough for a lot. Deer sightings were down that year too. Its easy to understand deer love acorns. Acorns are every where you look almost. Deer don't need to travel very far to fill there stomach. This year is playing out just like a few years ago.

15. rcatron

rcatron 8 pointer

Apr 12, 2010
    winchester, ky
    Drove from Arkansas to Central KY yesterday. Came on the Purchase Pkwy - West Ky Pkwy - BG Pkwy route. I saw several young bucks on the side of the road and once I hit the Bluegrass (which was around sunset) I saw several out in the fields. I often wonder if the does I see on the side of the road are actually bucks who've been stripped of their antlers.