Stay humble and eat a piece of pie

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by MickeyMouse, Jan 23, 2021.

1. MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse Fawn

Jan 9, 2020
    Lockport
    It's obvious Weather and lack thereof have played it's course. It's the “thing” we can't control, but continue to question and stress about.

Some takeaways over the past several years have been:

Social media tells us that pile picks and slaughter stories make the hunt. Does it? What happened to the heritage and tradition of waterfowl hunting?

Has steel shot done more harm than good?

Is limit hunting depleting the resource?

Desperate times call for desperate measures, what does roost hunting accomplish other than a handful of good hunts?

What can you do to make it better?

Find time to reflect on what's important and what you can control, be humble because the duck gods are watching.

BootsOn27, Rod S. and FOWLER2671 like this.
  2. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Fakebook sucks
    Steel shot sucks, and causes more cripples than lead ever could
    Limit hunting isn't a thing, when there's 6 ducks in the whole swamp
    Roost hunting arta be outlawed

Scruff, BootsOn27, Nock and 5 others like this.
  3. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I don’t duck hunt. What’s roost hunting

4. Low Bird

Low Bird 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2005
    ol man kelsey's crick
    The fact of the matter is... when there is no snow cover in the upper Midwest and Great Lakes year after year. And our weather remains wet and warm. We just don’t get the birds. I don’t stress anymore. I just go to Canada!

5. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Exactly what it sounds like. Hunting ducks where they roost. It's the best way possible to run big flocks plum out of the vacinity

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    AGREE No weather to push Birds. I killed very few this year but hunted and done the best i could under the conditions we had. Plus border closed couldnt go to Canada. Making plans for Canada next year. Never shot a roost pond in my years or hunting and wont. Some guys shot a roost here in Shelby last week. Bragged about hunting the X. But they newbies and just dont care. It dont stress me any mre either. I just go and try. If i get Birds thats a bonus.

CRFmxracer likes this.
  7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    What i dont understand. Getting many new Waterfowl hunters every year. Some never done it before or anybody in their family had. With less and less Birds to hunt why new hunters??? Plus Waterfowl hunting is hard work to do it right.

BootsOn27 and Meatstick like this.
  8. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Because duck hunting is the "cool" thing to do. Like the morons with the squatted trucks and flat bill hats. Obviously it doesn't have to make sense to be cool.

BootsOn27, Nock, CRFmxracer and 3 others like this.
  9. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Hunter number are currently in decline and have been for some time. It's one of the factors I'm looking at for my master's project to help explain harvest decline in the MS flyway.

10. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I call BS on the decline in duck hunters!!! I started in 87... The goose spots had hunters but many only hunted on a trip or two. Spots that were considered crowded with five groups in the 60s-70s now see 80+ groups from opener to last day.

Far more consistent pressure on birds these days then in the past.

BootsOn27 and DH13 like this.
  11. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Do you think that ethics came more into play during the past, say prior to the WMAs? Such is my impression and seems most logical to me, based upon discussions with my father.

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I DISSAGRE. I see more and more new waterfowl hunters now. Have seen increese for years now.

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I quit waterfowl hunting 20 years ago. Just no birds here.... The guy I hunted with the most, and knew more about ducks/geese than anyone I've ever met, blamed most of the declining numbers here, on DU. All those safe havens they've created between here and Canada since the 70's.....

hunt likes this.
  14. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Psssssh... I have seen seemingly countless ducks up here... mega mallards beyond imaginable. Not this season, and maybe only because I did not bother to go looking for them like last season. Seen plenty of geese, as well, without even leaving the house, just nowhere near in the numbers as my father once hunted here long ago.

15. sthwht24

sthwht24 Spike

Sep 25, 2011
    South Central KY
    I think it’s possible for overall hunter numbers to be declining, but waterfowl hunters to be increasing?
    I suppose duck stamp sales would give us some clue, but not all those are bought by waterfowlers.
    At the very least I think duck hunter numbers are staying consistent, maybe, but are concentrating on fewer pieces of ground.
    Hell I don’t really know, but like most of y’all, I sure don’t see a shortage of them around here.