States response to night hunting

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Jimmie in Ky, Jan 26, 2010.

1. AnotherDeerHunter

AnotherDeerHunter 6 pointer

Dec 6, 2009
    Crittenden, KY
    I was pondering this today at work. What if we have a seperate license just for Yote hunting maybe $10 a license and half the proceeds would go to restoring rabbit/grouse/quail populations and etc. That way if someone is out hunting yotes at night they would have to have a valid yote license. I hate giving my money to the state but if it would get us night yote hunting they can have my $10 dollars!

2. duxdown 1

duxdown 1 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2009
    western ky
    10 bucks

Hey, if that would make them interested I am in for 10.00, I know our kdwr could use it.
    Realistically there are fewer dolars coming in than there was in the years past. And if it would help our kids future why not.:)

3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    IMO it will never happen COs dont want to have to be up all night and work all day the way it is now they can stay home almost every night and have a family life. the coon hunters numbers are down and they dont get to many calls that they will answer. And unfortunatly just like the crossbow debait there will be a big oposition this time from the trappers association they dont like us hunting them now they want them all to them selves. they cant stop us from hunting them but they sure can stop us from getting anymore time in the woods, we already can hunt them year around and it wouldnt suprise me if they dont try to change this some day. We realy need to start up a predator association to reserve our rites in the future so we dont get screwed. And for those of you that think it will never happen thats fine but what would it hurt? just my 2 cents worth.

4. A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    coyotes aren't the problem when it comes to declining small game populations. lack of habitat is. the states that have abundant quail, grouse & bunnies have dealt with coyotes/predators a lot longer than we have & in far more abundant numbers. farming practices have to make a dramatic change before our quail & bunnies get a break

5. i think that they make a pretty valid point jimmie.

We understand the desire to control coyotes in some areas, and therefore have already established liberal seasons, methods of take and an unlimited bag limit during daylight hours. We do appreciate your input and comments, but feel that these statutes are successfully serving several important functions.

So how do you feel about this?

Quote:

I think that they make a valid point jimmie. you are allowed to hunt as much as you want and kill as much as you want. at any time that you want. except when the use of a spot light is neccissary which i personaly do not beleive that it is. think about any big time show that you could watch where guys are making all kinds of money doing the things that we love to do. now i am only 63 years old but i have still never seen any of those big dollar men spot lighting coyotes. thank you and good morning.

6. duxdown 1

duxdown 1 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2009
    western ky
    ?

art prewit, apparently you have not whatched enough of the predator dvd's and thought this out.
    Burnham brothers which was one of the original group of varminters hunted alot at night.
    Texas is one of the biggest venues of night hunting and night time guided hunts for coyotes and such.

As a first time poster we appreciate your input, but there are a lot of die hard varmint hunters here and many of us remember night hunting. We are a well versed lot, so do your homework.

7. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Know what your talking about before speaking!!

Apparently several people just feel like posting comments just for the sake of getting their two cents worth in. Is it asking to much for people to take the time to read what we are really asking for before showing just how un-informed they really are?? I do not recall anywhere, in any of our post, asking for high powered rifles and spotlights.:confused:

8. anvil

anvil 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2009
    The night light law does not work! It never has and it never will. The pochers are using high output red led lights and bolt on silencers for there rifle and putting quite mufflers on there ATV's. I dont hunt illeagle to me there is no sport in it and its not worht the down side of getting caught.. When 4 wheelers came into play the poching got alot easier..
    I hate to throw any one under a bus but how can shooting up in the air through trees be safer then shooting at yotes on the ground?
    I think this has more to do with the warden getting up out of bed at night and if you do need one late @ night all i can say is good luck.
    Sorry if I offened any one I was just stating facts.

9. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Silencers only work if the load fired is sub-sonic. Which is hard to accomplish with a high powered rifle. Not mention that silencers are not cheap, most start at a minimum of $200, plus the cost of having a gunsmith install it. It cost another $200 dollars for a class 3 license that you have to get from the government, which takes anywhere from 3-6 months to get approval for. I seriously doubt that there are that many poachers running around that have the ability to build their own silencers (which is a felony to posess without a permit) . Let alone spend hundreds of dollars and take 3-6 months approval just to spotlight with a highpowered rifle that the silencer doesn't help quieten down that much. Sorry if I offended you, just stating the facts!!;)

10. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    not picking at anyone, but if a poacher was using a "silencer"/supressor
    ?sp to illegally take game I highly doubt they would go through all the trouble and fees to obtain one. Its easy enough to get one without all the hoop jumping. and as far as making one a plastic bottle stuffed with rags around the barrel will actually muffle the sound of a 22mag 22hornet or .223 quite well for one shot.

11. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I was hoping some of you from hte trapping board would wiegh in on this. I know you have more thoughts yourself about it.

Would this be an aid or problem for you as a trapper?

I once trapped and know there are problem animals in trapping, the ones we just can't get a toe pinch on. Could this help you get those animals ?

Jimmie

12. Lots of interest on this one!
    My 2 cents worth is that night hunting should be allowed on private land for species that are considered non-game (and non-protected), exotic, or nuisance animals. This would include hogs for sure and an argument might be made against (for hunting) coyotes since their march east of the Mississippi was artificially brought on by human expansion. I'm not for it when it comes to native bobcats and foxes.
    If they pass a law that a certain county doesn't like due to safety reasons, then that county can simply pass their own law to make it illegal again. The spotlighting law was simply passed as a way to make it easier for law enforcement to bust likely poachers. On the record they consider it 'harrassment of wildlife' to make it sound more legitimate than 'harrassment of possible poachers'.
    Other compromises that could be made by hunters trying to broker a deal might involve guidelines/limitations to light sources and optics that would make proper identification of the target species more accurate-- such as use of thermal technology (but that would be dang expensive for most of us to buy).
    Anyway, I doubt the state will flinch much on this issue unless you can sell shooting as the most effective way to control exotics and nuisance animals-- most would say that trapping is more effective (definitely for hogs).

13. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Well, I have it from those experienced with hogs in other states that more than trapping is nescescary to keep hogs down. Like coyotes they get trap shy and shy to feeders as well. Using hte nose to it's full advantage. It takes dogs as well to keep numbers down after you have exhausted all other venues.

Thermal would fall under the use of electronic lighting devices which would be detrimental to our cause. And since we are trying for shotgun only hogs would be out of it since buckshot is illegal. I am not saying it would not be benificial to famers if we did, but keeping lawmakers on our side is number one as far as I am concerned.

We will have to prove ourselves to be far better sportsman or loose it again permanantly if we can get it back for coyote only. Jimmie