States response to night hunting

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Jimmie in Ky, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Agree

But with the laws they have put on the books already , we will have too much a battle to go after lights. I am simply thinking of the battle ahead of us. Those other states with no hnight hunting are in the same boat we are in. Laws set to keep people out of the fields at night. And for the saem reasons.

The laws we had before were ignored. Folks just went out and hunted at night with lights and e-callers. They did not bother to read the rules and regs. Nor were they out there defined where folks could find trhem easily. Hidden in the fine print among coyote regulations. A lot like the arguement last year when shot sizes for predators and small game were confused which led to change in coyote hunting regs in the LBL.

What we have to do is help put together a set of rules and regs that can be understood by all with set perameters with no cracks in them. We can't have a co in one county telling folks one thing and another saying something else. Which happened with night vision equipment. ALL ONE BIG MESS AND NOTHING BUT CONFUSION. And added to the poaching problem we already had. All rules and regs must be well defined for this activity or we will have nothing but another mess again. Jimmie

2. Cantmisum

Cantmisum 8 pointer

Pennsylvaina mania

www.pgc.state.pa.us/

COYOTES: No closed season. Unlimited. Outside of any deer or bear season, coyotes may be taken with a hunting license or a furtaker license, and without wearing orange. During any archery deer season, coyotes may be taken while lawfully hunting deer or with a furtaker license. During the regular firearms deer and any bear seasons, coyotes may be taken while lawfully hunting deer or bear, or with a furtaker license while wearing 250 square inches of fluorescent orange. During the spring gobbler season, may be taken by those with a valid tag and meet fluorescent orange and shot size requirements.

1) During the regular antlered and antlerless deer season, it is unlawful to take or attempt to take other wild birds or mammals, except game birds
    on regulated hunting grounds, migratory waterfowl, coyote * and bear (in designated deer/bear concurrent season WMUs).
    * Note: Coyotes may be taken with a hunting or furtakers license, and without wearing orange, outside of any deer or bear season. During any
    archery deer season, coyotes may be taken while lawfully hunting deer or with
    a furtakers license. During the regular firearms deer season and any bear season,
    coyotes may be taken while lawfully hunting deer or bear or with a furtakers
    license, while wearing 250 square inches of fluorescent orange material in a
    360-degree arc. During the spring gobbler season, coyotes may be taken by
    persons who have a valid tag and follow shot size requirements.
    2) Raccoon, fox, skunk, opossum, coyote, bobcat and weasel may be hunted
    any hour, day or night, except during restricted periods in paragraph 1 (also
    see furbearer section), and groundhogs, opossum, skunk and weasel may not
    be hunted prior to 12 noon during the spring gobbler season.

Unlawful Firearms & Devices: 1) Automatic and semi-automatic
    (autoloading) rifles and handguns; 2) air or gas operated rifles and
    handguns.

Firearms - Magazine Capacity: It is unlawful to hunt small game,
    furbearers, turkeys, waterfowl or crows with a manual or autoloading
    shotgun unless the magazine is limited to a two-shell capacity. A plug
    must be a one-piece filler installed so it cannot be readily removed
    without disassembling the gun or magazine.

Electronic Devices: It is unlawful to hunt with any electronic contrivance
    or device except: 1) Electronic callers may be used to hunt
    bobcats, coyotes, foxes, raccoons and crows. 2) Lighted pins on
    bow sights and scopes with lighted reticles may be used as long as
    they don’t cast a beam. Any device used as a sight or scope on any
    firearm, bow or crossbow that projects a light beam of any kind onto
    the target is unlawful. 3) Portable, two-way radios and cell phones
    may be used for general communications with another hunter, but may
    not be used to direct or alert another hunter of the presence or location
    of live game or wildlife. The use of electronic communication devices
    to alert hunters to live game is not only a violation of the Game &
    Wildlife Code, but violates the concept of Fair Chase.

Spotlighting Wildlife: It is unlawful to 1) spotlight wildlife while in
    possession of a firearm, except by individuals who have a License
    to Carry Firearms permit, and only with firearms authorized by the
    permit (most sporting arms are not authorized), bow and arrow, or
    other device capable of killing wildlife; 2) spotlight wildlife during
    the regularly scheduled statewide antlered and antlerless deer seasons
    (Nov. 30-Dec. 12), including those days separating the seasons
    and including the late firearms deer seasons in WMUs 2B,
    5C & 5D; and 3) cast an artificial light upon any building, farm
    animal or photoelectric cell. Recreational spotlighting is lawful between
    sunrise and 11 p.m., except as previously noted. Spotlighting
    includes handheld lights, accessory spotlights on vehicles and
    vehicle headlights when intentionally used to locate or view wildlife.
    A person hunting raccoons, skunks, opossums, bobcats, weasels,
    foxes and coyotes on foot may use a handheld light, including
    a gun-mounted light. Furbearer hunters still may not use a flashlight
    or spotlight that projects a laser light beam, though.
    Cultivated lands: It is unlawful to 1) hunt in unharvested buckwheat,
    corn, sorghum or soybean fields without permission from
    the owner or caretaker; 2) operate a motor vehicle on any cleared
    field or private property without the landowner’s permission; 3)
    block lanes to cultivated fields, mail boxes or private property; 4)
    leave gates open; 5) damage real or personal property; 6) break
    down or damage fences, or 7) harass, injure or kill livestock.
    Taking Advantage of Food or Bait: It is unlawful to hunt in or
    around any area where artificial or natural bait, food, hay, grain,
    fruit, nuts, salt, chemicals or minerals, including their residues, are
    used, or have been used within the past 30 days, as an enticement
    to lure game or wildlife regardless of the type or quantity. Hunters
    are responsible for ensuring that the hunting area has not been
    baited before they begin hunting. They should physically inspect
    the area and question landowners, guides and caretakers. This
    section does not pertain to hunting near areas where accepted
    farming or habitat management practices are taking place (example:
    hunting near food plots on game lands is legal). Any natural or
    manmade nonliving bait can be used to attract coyotes for hunting
    or trapping.
    FURTAKERS SEASONE AND BAG LIMITS
    HUNTING (A furtaker’s license is needed to hunt all furbearers except coyotes)
    Foxes & Raccoons: Oct. 24-Feb. 20, 2010 Unlimited
    Opossums, Skunks & Weasels: No Closed Season Unlimited
    Coyotes: (Statewide) - No Closed Season. Outside of any deer or bear season
    may be taken with a hunting license or a furtaker’s license and without
    wearing orange.
    (During Any Archery Deer Season) - May be taken while lawfully hunting
    deer, or with a furtaker’s license.
    (During The Regular Firearms Deer Season and Any Bear Season) -
    May be taken while lawfully hunting deer or bear, or with a furtaker’s license
    while wearing 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored
    material visible in a 360-degree arc.
    (During Spring Gobbler Season) - May be taken by persons who have a
    valid tag and follow shot size requirements.
    Need a furtaker license to trap coyotes.
    Opossums, Skunks & Weasels may not be hunted on Sundays and prior to noon
    during the spring gobbler season and, along with Foxes & Raccoons, not during the
    legal hunting hours of the regular antlered and antlerless deer season.
    Bobcats (WMUs 2A, 2C, 2E, 2F, 2G, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4D & 4E): Oct. 24-Feb.
    20, 2010
    Requires a furtaker license and a Bobcat Hunting-Trapping Permit. Limit of one cat
    per permit. Applications for a bobcat permit may be submitted by going through the
    PGC website www.pgc.state.pa.us and clicking on “The Outdoor Shop,” or through
    the PALS system at a POS location. It is unlawful to take bobcats during the
    legal hunting hours of the regular antlered and antlerless deer season.
    Firearms For Hunting Furbearers: It is unlawful to take furbearers, including
    bobcats, with shotguns using shot larger than size number 4 buckshot. Manually
    operated rifles or handguns of any caliber can be used. Persons hunting for furbearers,
    including coyotes, foxes, bobcats, raccoons, skunks, opossums and weasels,
    may use gun-mounted lights that do not project a laser-light beam.
    Dogs: Dogs are permitted to hunt furbearers.

3. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

This last one brings up another point. She we request a special permit be added to the reggs. Paying our own way as it were? Jimmie

4. Cantmisum

Cantmisum 8 pointer

Jimmie no argument here, any thing crafted has to be fool proof.
    I will look into the states that have nolights to see if any legislation has been crafted for N/L hunting, or if it has even been tried

5. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

The more I thik on it, no lights and special permits do make sense. It leaves no doubt as to who you are and what you are doing with that permit under those conditions.

There was an article in Pred Xtreme this month on problems with night hunting and law enforcement. It was not only timely for me but interesting as well. Still haven't totally digested the material yet. Even though the scenario played out in New York with a long history of night hunting. Jimmie

6. Cantmisum

Cantmisum 8 pointer

New York New York

To hunt furbearers, you need to possess a junior hunting, small game, small/big game, sportsman, super sportsman, non-resident hunting, or non-resident super sportsman license. A trapping or big game license does not allow you to hunt furbearers. Furbearers may be hunted with a bow or firearm as described below. All laws pertaining to the use of a spotlight and firearm apply.

• You may hunt red and gray fox, coyote, bobcat, raccoon, skunk, mink, weasel and opossum.
    • If you take a bobcat, it must be tagged and sealed.
    • You may use a call, including an electronic call.
    • You may hunt furbearers only after sunrise on the opening day. They may be taken at any hour, day or night, for the rest of their hunting season.
    • Skunk may be hunted during their open trapping season.
    • Mink may only be hunted in the Southern Zone with a firearm not larger than .22 caliber during their open trapping season. Mink may not be hunted with a firearm in the Northern Zone
    • Muskrat may only be hunted on Lake Champlain during the open trapping season with a firearm not larger than a .22 caliber.
    • You may hunt furbearers during the day using any handgun, shotgun, rifle or bow. You may hunt at night as described below.
    Furbearer Hunting at Night

You may hunt furbearers at night, with or without a light, as follows:

• Use any handgun or bow.
    • Use a shotgun loaded with shot (any size).
    • Use a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, during any open season for deer in areas restricted to using a shotgun only for deer.
    • If hunting without a light, the use of a light gathering ("starlight") scope is legal on any firearm listed above.
    NOTE: Westchester County and Long Island - Rifles are not allowed
    Selling Furbearers

• Furbearers may be bought and sold with or without pelt attached to the carcass.
    • Bobcat pelts, or carcasses with pelt attached, shall be possessed or transported only in the manner described in Pelt Sealing.

More about Furbearer Hunting:

7. kyfuzzyface

kyfuzzyface 8 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Central Ky
    The olny problem I have with NO lights is beening sure of your target, you shoot a farmers cattle dog or his wifes house cat and $hits going to hit the fan !!

8. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I am begining to wonder if any body in this state has passed a Hunters safetey test. What is the rule when you can not be sure of the target?

Satisfy yourself, We are in the correct moon phase right now and will be for the next several nights. Go out after 7 and see what light there is. Jimmie

9. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I'm a little confused, WV only allows rimfires and rabbit shot and smaller for night hunting, that's acceptable? I'd say 30 yards and under 4 shot would kill OK, I've killed a few turkey hunting.

Currently not having a legal night hunting season is an asset to LE to catch deer poachers. I understand their stance, if hunting at night with lights were allowed, everyone they check would simply be coyote hunting.

I used to enjoy fox hunting at night very much, I just don't see the value from a coyote perspective, they are easily called in the daytime, foxes aren't.

I understand both sides of this, it just is strongly opposed by most law enforcement officers.

To me the more imortant things would be allowing larger shot size for coyote, you can shoot all kinds of centerfire rifles, but not 4buck in a shotgun... and why does the shotgun need to be plugged for coyotes? You don't have to have it plugged for deer, why coyotes?

I'd also like to see the cat hunting go through February, not that many people kill cats after deer season, if too many are being taken then remove the gun deer season portion... Just my 2 cents on improving opportunity for predator hunting in KY, it is the fastest growing hunting sport these days in my opinion.

10. carter county cuckler

carter county cuckler 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2009
    Hitchins,Ky
    #1.I call BS on this one,where is most of your poaching done from if not all of it,from the road.Thats right,from the road.Is hunting from the road illegal,yes it is.COs like it easy,driving around looking for spotlighters that they had a call about spotlighters spotlighting from the road.How many COs are back in the woods looking for spotlighters?So definately a big BS on this one.
    #2.If they are so easily called in why arent they piling them up in the varmint thread,this one.

11. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    NO

I don't want to have to buy yet another tag!!!!! Especially to hunt something I can't eat.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  12. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Let me tell you why your answer is wrong!! First, we can't hunt them at night now anyways. Second, if you don't like it, then don't buy it!! Then you would be right back in the boat your in now, not able to hunt at night. Surely you have been in the world long enough to know "nothing comes for free";)

13. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    Coon hunters don't need another liscense, why should we? And untill there's big money in coyote hunting like there is in coon hunting we won't be night hunting. And we even get PERMISSION to hunt our spots.

14. kycountryboy

kycountryboy 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2008
    columbia,ky
    i would'nt mind buying a tag if it is to night hunt only. I don't think it would be fair to others who just wanted to hunt during the day to have to buy a tag that covered that in with the night hunting. I got coyotes on camera just behind my house in a area that i call all the time and never see anything, i think the only way to get them is when they are more active at night.

15. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I don't wanna buy another license or permit either. But, if it could open the door for night hunting, it could be worth it. I would only support the permit for night hunting though, daytime hours should remain as they are. Then if one choose's not to buy the permit, they can continue hunting like they always do....JMO