States response to night hunting

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Jimmie in Ky, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

It sucks out loud, I know from experience they are wrong. But we do have to follow the rules.

This email is in response to recent requests to allow night hunting of coyotes in Kentucky. The Law Enforcement and Wildlife Divisions of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources (KDFWR) have discussed this issue and are in agreement in our following response. The KDFWR passed statutes (KRS 150.360, 150.395) in 1990 to prohibit the use of spotlights to shine wildlife at night. These statutes were passed to protect the rights of landowners and to reduce poaching of turkey, deer, and other wildlife. These statutes have been very effective and any change for a single species will jeopardize their overall effectiveness including illegal take of other wildlife and hunter safety. While some have suggested hunting coyotes by moonlight, the KDFWR feels that hunting wildlife at night, with or without lights, poses significant safety risks in terms of correctly identifying the target and areas surrounding and beyond the target. We understand the desire to control coyotes in some areas, and therefore have already established liberal seasons, methods of take and an unlimited bag limit during daylight hours. We do appreciate your input and comments, but feel that these statutes are successfully serving several important functions.

So how do you feel about this?

Missourri still allows hunting by moonlight as far as I know. The fear of poaching is our problem and we as ethical hunters pay the price for the criminals in our midst. Evey time you ignore that good ole boy bragging about what he has done , You are taking oportunity from yourself and others. Report a poacher dang it!!

The way I read this there will be no further discussion unless we push the issue. Weapons limitations are going to have to be a part of it.Jimmie

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Thanks for the report and your hard work Jimmie!

3. kyfuzzyface

kyfuzzyface 8 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Central Ky
    I got about the same report from a CO/Training Offcer last week @ Keene's in Bardstown.
    He said ( IT WASN"T GOING TO HAPPEN)

I tryed to ask about shotguns only / Set seasons / Private Land Only
    even maybe a another permit or background check to help with (ALL the money the Fish and wildlife are loosing !!):mad::mad:

4. carter county cuckler

carter county cuckler 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2009
    Hitchins,Ky

5. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I think they just spit in our face!!

I've heard alot of BS before, but those were excuses, not answers. I have nothing against coon hunting,but if you wanna look at the grand scheem of things?? Its alot more dangerous to fire a rifle into the night air than to fire a shotgun across a field. I've heard a many of storys over the years of people killing deer with rimfires.Haven't heard of very many being killed with a shotgun at night. Have you?? As stated by others, those that are going to poach are going to do it regardless of the laws:mad: If they are going to ban us all from doing it because of a few bad apples, then they should FIRE ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT since they have a few bad apples of their own

6. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Well at least we have evidence they did hear us. But they did not check out our discusion on it here. In which we brought up many of the pros and cons of night hunting under many conditions.

But if they had read the discussion they would have seen where many are willing to limit weapons and police our own ranks to get it.

Now , if we as a whole are for this , how far are you willing to go in limitations ?

To go any further we will have to give them an IDEA of regs that could and should work for the safetey of all. You have to think about setup under low light conditions. This means close range calling only. No lights and shotgun only, this may even include limiting shot size to bb or smaller. Give me some ideas people, I am not alone in this . Jimmie

7. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Jimmie, I got the same email today from Laura Patton. I have responded and asked for further assistance in moving forward. Hopefully, she will be able to give us more contact info, as to whom we can press ahead with for our ideas. I'm not giving up that easily. Or as I told Ms. Patton,"Rome wasn't built in a day":D We all need to keep that mentality, and press forward with our wishes and goals!!:)

8. kycountryboy

kycountryboy 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2008
    columbia,ky
    i have had problems with coon hunters for several years, well let me rephase that, i have had problems with a coon hunter for several years. I do not have a problem with coon hunters just don't want dogs in my backyard at 3 in the morning with my cat up a tree. when i call the game warden to get them to tell the guy that he has no hunting rights on my land, i can't even get anyone to answer there phone, had to call frankfort and they could,nt even get ahold of anyone. so the simple fact is that they don't want to be bothered with the call's of someone hunting at night. If they don't want to do there job I sure need a good job and i would'nt mind gettin called out.
    if they really want to do something for the deer they need to get a better check in system, the one they have sure don't work very well usless you are a poacher. i'm not saying it is a bad system just easier to get away with killing more deer than you are suppose to. i know alot of people that kill five to ten deer a year and other that leave them laying.[​IMG]

9. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I wasn't exactly that nice in my reply. After all it boils down to poachers are the problem and hte rest of us pay for it. They believe we are a minority among hunters. They have no idea of how fast this sport is growing in this state. And as hard as night hunting under those conditions is, not many will keep at it.

I was already a fairly accomplished caller and got my butt kicked hard for a couple of months before I figured out what was wrong. Night hunting under these conditions is not for the newbie to predator hunting. The KDFW may be looking at that aspect when htey bring up hte safetey issue. And I have to agree to some extent. But how do we make accomplished hunters if htey do not have oportunity. Jimmie

10. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I also told her the same thing that I mentioned in my earlier post. "If the KDFWR is going to keep us from coyote hunting at night because of a few bad apples, then the KDFWR and the state of KY should fire all CO's and LEO's since it has been proven that they have all had a bad apple at some point or time!!":p

11. LBLDOG

LBLDOG 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2008
    murray ky
    I wish there was something we could like sign a petition to show the number of hunters who are interested in this being changed. I think it would be cool if there was a # you could call and say this is where I will be hunting this is the Land Owners name and then if MR.Gamewarden wanted to do a follow up he could. I wouldn't have a problem with him coming out at night and checking me out and know you guys wouldn't either!

12. p44

p44 Fawn

Jan 26, 2010
    Hey Jimmy,I used to drive a parts truck through Wickliff; seen coyotes in town behind the drug store a few times! Anyway I usually don't log in but, Hunting at night when it was legal was my favorite time to hunt. Since they've outlawed it my success has declined quite a bit. Their logic is just like that of the polititions who think if u ban guns , all crime would stop. I live in Sonora about 16 miles south of Elizabethtown,and there's not hardly anybody that hunts coyotes here but me. I get calls from people all the time asking if I could come over at night and shoot some like I used to. I have to tell them that it's illegal now; and I go over and call mornings. I'm going to call senator Brett Guthery and see if he can help. Ron Lewis is a family friend;and he says Brett is a fine man. Can't hurt to try!

13. jmo05

jmo05 Fawn

Dec 22, 2009
    henderson,ky
    They act like by making night hunting legal people will start poaching in droves. I know as well as anyone on here, that simply is not the case. Those with the disregard of law, and no sense of sportsmanship whatsoever who have the capacity to do so are doing so already. These people represent an extreme minority in our ranks to begin with, and I am doubtfull they will increase in number by any measurable amount with the passing of any such law. I personally feel like any negative affect poaching would have on deer populations is already taking place. I also feel that that affect is miniscule in comparison to the adverse affects of predator over population.....we're losing an arm to save a finger:confused:

14. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Now we are not anywhere near over population of coyotes yet. Territories are still around 18 to 20 square miles in most of Ky. But I dont want to see a population of a coyote per 1/4 square mile like it is in some parts of north america.

But with trappers and hunters becoming more the minority in our population , keeping them where they are now is going ot get harder in hte future.

There will be no petition , where and how would you manage to get the opinion of everyone that needs to be involved. Farmers and land owners need to be a part of this. We are not going ot be able to do it by ourselves.

The idea of a predator hunters organization was brought up to me years ago . At hte time I didn't want any part of it. I still don't think I want to head up such a thing now either. But it is something we are going to have to do I think. It may be the only way we can get to have a voice in Frankfort. This was also mentioned in the last thread. Think about it.

p44 , I know just hwere you are talking about. I set trotlines between houses one spring where the city park is now. I also hunted squirrels in those hills just the other side of that same city park. I think I can still tell you were to croos the ridge to get in the back of Westvaco ;-) Glad you decided to join us here at Ky hunting. Jimmie

15. jmo05

jmo05 Fawn

Dec 22, 2009
    henderson,ky
    I don't mean to say there IS an over population, just that I feel that is what it will come to before anything is done about it.