starting wages in KY (not min wage)

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by ojibwa62, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    I have two adult children. One is super smart, currently working on her PhD. When she gets it done, she will be looking at $60-70K starting. That's after 4 years of college for her Bacherlors, another 2 1/2 for her Masters, and now 3 for the Doctorate.

My son, also smart but in a more creative way, went to a 2 year trade school in culinary arts. Within a year of graduation he was a restaurant manager and making $55K with the ability to go anywhere and find a job. As he climbs the chef scale he can make more. Will he do that forever, probably not. However, he is getting ready to go to Hawaii for a year, recruited to be a chef, moving expenses, etc. if he likes the gig he will stay, if not, he was also offered jobs in NZ and Germany. Culinary skills (not fast food line cook) will land you a job anywhere

00noturkey likes this.
  2. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    I'm a Drinking Water Plant supervisor for the city here in FL. Our non- licensed guys start at $18 and get two year to get their "C" license at which time they are bumped to $22. They top out at $32. Our Plant Electricians though start at $26 I don't remember where they top but its like $45ish an hour.

Coot my brother is a Chef in Colorado pulling 200k and up depending on how much his profit sharing is. He gets offers nonstop all over the world. If the boy loves it and is good a management he can go a long ways. My brother runs 2 establishments and they are getting ready to open a third. His biggest complaint is that doesn't actually get much time to actually cook anymore. We love it he is on cooking duty from the time he shows up to deer camp until the time he leaves. It is absolutely amazing what he can do with a coleman camp grill, a box smoker, and a fire pit!

3. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Welding does good here also my son is certified in welding and also hangs steel and works all over the state at coal mines plants and such he's 20 , he makes 22 an hour and 80 a day per diem he works alot of hours , but that's also a trade that gets asked about alot

4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Our tech school sends a lot of kids into Tulsa Welding School. In 12-15 mos most of them are making a good living. Also, saw a few people mention plumbing. My BIL works a city job during the day that gets him his benefits but with his master plumbers license he’ll work 2-3 evenings sometimes more on other jobs and can pretty much name his price.

JR in KY likes this.
  5. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Military has all of the trades available and a great place to learn at, any young person needs an opportunity it’s a great one. Learn something then move on or make a career, i was 17 running heavy equipment that probably wouldn’t have never had a chance at learning on my own,

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Yep! We have quite a few students go on to the military too, especially National Guard as they can really come up with the funding for additional schooling or job training.

7. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I'd say go to tech school for HVAC or electrical. HVAC he might not electrocute himself as bad as he can doing all electrical! :) Both are highly desired trades that will always have a job like a plumber. Drywall guy is good to, but he'd have to work himself up the line to mudder! If he's tech savy he could go to school and learn how to develop mobile apps, good $$ there.

dirtstalker and ojibwa62 like this.
  8. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Here in Louisville, plumbers, HVAC technicians and electricians can all make over 100k. The unemployment rate here in KY is the lowest on record. If you can't find a good job right now, you aren't trying.

hotdog and Genesis 27:3 like this.
  9. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Did HVAC myself , made decent here , but cleaned up doing it on the side

00noturkey likes this.
  10. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Where you at? I have a side job for HVAC tech I need done.

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Same in Lex. They make good money here. I was mentioning my BIL above being a Master Plumber. He’s been a plumber for years and he likes it. I’ve always thought it would be an awful job. Guess some people are just good at handling $h!t.

12. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Years ago I heard a Plumber only needs to know 2 things....Joke now so don't get all tore up....Those 2 things were crap don't run uphill and payday was Friday... :D

13. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    Trade's are way under-estimated. i was getting $11.oo in 2003. family business. i.e. under paid.. kid's now day's get more than that just, doing menial labor. the $15.oo an hour push, for everyone, is overrated. teach someone a skill, instead. pay to go to college, money down the drain, and learn nothing, cept propaganda, brown shirt stuff. learn how not to think.

JR in KY likes this.
  14. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    some people have better sinus control..
    i were helping the plumbers out a one clog. pipe was clogged up, going out to the street. turned out to be sewer mice, [girl stuff].. must ave pulled 70 out of there. [whitish with a tail]. the home owner said, she had a party, just before. i couldnt help it, i said, must have been some bitching party.

JR in KY, xbokilla and Munson like this.
  15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    LOL. We have that problem at school sometimes. Usually around the girls restrooms.

JR in KY likes this.