starting to get the itch

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by camclo01, Jul 5, 2019.

1. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    went to the farm today to cut the Clover and Alfalfa field and start prepping my other field for my fall food plot.

file5.jpeg file6.jpeg
    Two above are my Clover an Alpha plot after cutting. wish i could have left it longer but had to work with what i had. Planted this last fall and this was my first time cutting

Pic below is from my area that will be my fall plot. field was check high grass and weeds when i started
    file-2.jpeg

While i was there i went ahead and pulled my camera on my feeder and mineral lick. Was pretty excited to get 1 really nice buck and a couple more good ones.
    file2-1.jpeg file1-1.jpeg

file3-1.jpeg file4.jpeg

2. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Good bucks. Won’t be long season will be here.

3. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Good Bucks. How tall was your clover/alfalfa before you mowed it? As a rule of thumb I never cut more than 40% because of the stunt to the plant. Just curious.

4. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Nice looking spot and bucks.

5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    There is that and this time of year you run the risk of burning in up if we don't get rain within a few days..

6. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Property looks great,

I use this rule , most of the time..:rolleyes::oops:

"It’s a myth that you have to mow in order to have a nutritious clover plot, Thats just wrong. If the clover is doing well in May and June and deer are eating it, let them eat it. Don’t mow it! The nutritive value of a perennial clover leaf that is 4 weeks old compared to one that is 8 weeks old during this time is negligible for white-tailed deer. You worked hard to produce 4,000 pounds per acre of high-quality clover and chicory. Why wake up one Saturday morning in June and mow down three-quarters of it? It doesn’t make sense! Wait until after the forages produce seed before you mow. Unfortunately, many people mow because they want to get outside and do something to manage the land. If they would redirect their effort to other management activities, they would be much more successful in reaching their habitat management objectives for deer."

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  7. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

You mow clover and alfalfa to control weeds and to sustain the plot. You should mow when the plot is around 20% in bloom. If not, nutrients in the plant are used up in reproduction which hurts the viability of the plot. The nutrients available are negligible yes, but the deer prefer "new" growth and will utilize the plot more when it is mowed regularly.

timer, ojibwa62 and littlebear like this.
  8. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I agree for the most part , I do like to mow mine if it gets too leggy, I normally mow more then then once a year, but seldom more then two or three times.
    Like many I probably spend too much time on the tractor..

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  9. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    I need to mow mine but the only thing I am mowing is my yard. I hate this time of year with the heat and humidity. I have been on vacation all week and have been going through 3 changes of clothes every day working around the house.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Some good ones.

11. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    Guys i really appreciate the feedback and constructive criticism. I honestly have no clue what to do when it comes to farming / planting. so knowing now to mow in the future when there are seeds is great as well as the other ideas. I will use these going forward to hope that i can keep this plot alive for a couple of years more.