Starting a food plot ?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by rackhanger, Jul 6, 2014.

1. rackhanger

rackhanger 6 pointer

Jul 5, 2012
    N east,
    My son just moved into his first home and the property borders a farm that is directly behind his place .He has about .5 of an acre to work with and he wants to plant something to attract the deer.Any suggestions on
    1.something to plant for this time of year
    2.is there such a thing that would continue even thru the winter
    3.also something that does well in any type of soil.

Mainly looking for something to try and pull some deer his direction mainly for observation.Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  2. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    1 soil test
    2 lime to recommendation
    3 fertilizer winter wheat and clover mix come early fall.
    4Frost seed clover in late February.

3. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    X2 on tyshe.
    Any idea on population?

4. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    Myself I'd just set up
    A minerals lick or trophy rock and do it yesterday... That way you already have something drawing them near. If you have the time, money , and equipment you certainly soil test and fertilize & lime as needed but honestly I think the mineral lick would at least give you some help now, early fall
    Plant some oats, wheat, and disk it in it'll grow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. rackhanger

rackhanger 6 pointer

Jul 5, 2012
    N east,
    not sure on population see mom a 2 fawns regularly seems the majorty of food that surrounds him is hay .

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    soil test, then go from there.

7. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    We use to plant winter wheat after housing tobacco around August- Sempt and the deer would wear it out. So all the suggestions of winter wheat take to heart. When frost hits it it gets sweet real sweet.

8. 4UK

4UK 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Johnson co Ky
    I would recommend planting biologic maximum in august , especially right before a good rainfront , make sure you get the ground tilled up good and put recommended fertllizer on it and it will do well , its a great fall plot . I agree with the comments on the salt lick now. The key to the food plot is getting the moister right after planting . Good luck

9. Fat Rax

Fat Rax 6 pointer

I would put out mineral lick now. For immediate draw of deer, IMHO C'mere Deer is the best thing on the market. Coincidence or not I'm not sure, but I put out corn and C'mere close to a fresh mineral lick behind the house. I had four doe on it within 30 minutes.

10. Deer4Me

Deer4Me 6 pointer

May 8, 2011
    I agree with utilizing a mineral lick right now for this year. Beings he is just moving into a new house he might think about establishing something that he can utilize year after year. I'd plant some persimmon, late apple trees and lastly a disease resistant chestnut trees on that 1/2 acre and I'll be he's see deer in the fall continually there after. The only problem with this method it takes a few years to produce.