Stand Stolen + patients = Biggest buck ever

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by DearDoctor, Dec 2, 2008.

1. DearDoctor

DearDoctor 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2007
    Newburgh, IN
    Let me start by saying this was without a doubt the best season I have ever had. I had seen more deer than years prior and my two sons 12 & 18 shot their first bucks. I would have been happy with that. The boys got their deer in Webster County and left me with the Thanksgiving weekend in Indiana. The only time I had went hunting for myself was opening morning in Indiana. Opening morning was wet and windy but I was not going to be detered. As I walked to my stand one hour before legal hunting time I was the only one in the woods. Hadn't even seen a car on the road. Things didn't seem right as I walked through the small food plot (40X10yards) I had planted. As I got to my stand I realized my stand of three years was gone. Stolen in the last two weeks. I decided to hunt that morning from an elevated blind 3 miles away that over looked a field that wasn't planted this year. No crops ment few deer seen by the land owner and I hadn't even scouted it, but that was what I was left with. I saw two deer and knew I had little hope from that stand.

Now fast forward to Thanksgiving Day. I spent 2 hours in the blind and realized it was a cold stand. I thought I'm getting out of the stand and looking for something different. After an hour of walking I found a small corn field with two entry trails, tracks, droppings and two rubs. I found a place to put a pop up blind and decided Friday was the day. I was hunting all day and going to call it a season.

I started Friday morning by putting the blind up at 5:00 and waiting til 6:00 for hunting light. Little did I know that I would be waiting for 11 and 1/2 hours before seeing a deer. I questioned my hunting and sanity the whole time. At 4:30 two does entered the field and I just knew they had a buck in toe. But after 5 minutes I lost almost all hope. One of the does looked at me and realized that the blind didn't belong there. She pawed the ground three times and put her tail up taking the other doe with her as they ran out of the field. What to do next? Should I pack up and leave or just wait out the next 25 minutes. I then thought, try the can call in my bag, maybe they will think to come back if they think another doe is on the field. I did it once and then repeated 30 seconds later. Nothing happened. Then 15 minutes later the does appeared and it was 4:50 with only 10 minutes left in my hunting season. I thought atleast shoot a doe to claim one kill. I got the 12 guage up and centered on one of the does. I was seconds away from pulling the trigger when my nonshooting eye caught a shadow of a deer 2 times as large as the doe. I put both eyes on the deer and realized it was a large racked buck. It was two dark to count points and getting late. 5 minutes left in the day. I put the cross hairs on him and noticed he was looking rignt at me. He wouldn't turn, it was getting late and now my arms were getting tired not to mention he looked like he was going to run. I made the decision to hit him in the chest. (Subject of another thread this season) I closed my eyes and pulled the trigger. Actualy my eyes were open.

The shot felt good, but after three steps he was out of view. For him to leave the field he would have to jump a fence. (I hunt both sides of the fence. Subject of many threads in the past). I thought I heard a crash but was unsure. With little daylight left I approched the fence were he may have went in. No blood at the first sight. 10 yards up there was another entry point. Blood and tissue was seen on both sides of the fence, but I didn't see the deer. I climbed the fence and the blood went to the left of the trail. After 5 steps I was on top of the biggest deer I had ever shot.
    [​IMG]

2. DearDoctor

DearDoctor 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2007
    Newburgh, IN
    He was a heavy horned 9. 5 1/8 and 5 3/8 bases with an inside spread of 19 1/2inces. Beams were 22 1/8 and 21 7/8 inches. Field dressed at 173.
    Gross score 131 1/8.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. DearDoctor

DearDoctor 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2007
    Newburgh, IN
    Doubleshot

Interestingly this buck had been shot before.
    [​IMG]
    He had a hole in the outside of his right front leg that was connected by about 1/2 inch of hide to a hole on the inside of the leg. He then had a flesh wound on the front of his left front leg. Lucky for me some one took a bad shot earlier in the season.:D

4. Bandit29

Bandit29 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2008
    Good looking deer, congrats. Always seems to happen when you least expect it.

5. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Congrats on a fine buck!

6. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Sweet buck, congrats.

7. Zack Attack

Zack Attack 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2005
    Frankfort Ky
    Patience pays off. Congratulations on an awesome season.

8. Suthrn2k8

Suthrn2k8 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2008
    Shelby Co. Ky.
    Great looking deer! Congrats on your kill after so much perseverance. Enjoyed the story.

9. Georgia Transplant

Georgia Transplant 10 pointer

May 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Congrats to you and your sons

10. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    Great buck and story.

11. DENNISdrpjr

DENNISdrpjr 6 pointer

Oct 7, 2007
    Chester Va
  12. EKY.MTN.HUNTER

EKY.MTN.HUNTER 12 pointer

Jul 19, 2006
    Las Montanas
    Congrats on your deer, the fact that he had already been shot once only makes the story better.

13. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Great looking buck. Congrats on your hunt and story..:):)

14. Jughead

Jughead Banned

Nov 14, 2006
    Kentucky
    nice buck congrats

15. droptine

droptine 6 pointer

Oct 23, 2003
    Murray,Ky. USA
    Awesome buck!!! Congrats to you and your sons!!!