Squirrel vs deer sound

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by theprofessor, Nov 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    Where I am it’s been dry, leaves have come down, and at least this morning, squirrels are REAL busy. I do t think I’ve gone ten seconds without hearing one rustle the leaves, and it’s got my head on a d$&n swivel.

Funny thing is, I realize I haven’t HEARD most of the deer I’ve ever shot. But I definitely heard the one I bumped coming in this morning.

Anybody have a good way of distinguishing squirrel noise from the sound of an approaching deer?

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    My experience squirrels hop and/or shuffle around in the leaves. Deer makes a steady walking sound.

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I think it’s normally very easy to differentiate between the two. Squirrels are generally louder and more erratic. Sometimes it can be a little tricky but usually it’s pretty easy.

woodsman92 and theprofessor like this.
  4. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    I guess the problem is I’ve heard about 3,817 squirrels this morning and only one deer.

SummertimeCarl and EdLongshanks like this.
  5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Then u should know the difference by now. :)
    Now i have been listening to a "squirrel" before only to turn around and have a deer standing where the squirrel should be.

6. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    That’s easy...if you can hear it it’s a squirrel. Deer glide through the woods when walking. If I can hear them walking they’re already too close.

theprofessor and EdLongshanks like this.
  7. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    There is no comparison in the sound a deer makes vs a squirrel. But knowing this I still turn with high anticipation. Chalk it up to why deer hunters hate squirrels, plus they'll eat your nice cushy seat if you leave in stand

barney and theprofessor like this.
  8. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    The squirrel around here seem always on edge to bark at everything . Most anytime a deer trust to come through a squirrel will be barking at them.

9. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    With experience and patience, you'll be able to tell the difference.

Something that has also helped me is coming to grips with the fact that just because you can see a deer, doesn't mean you can shoot it. So half the squirrels I hear, I can usually determine that it doesn't matter if it's a squirrel or a deer because if it's a deer, I wouldn't have a good shot on it there anyway.

theprofessor and gung like this.
  10. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I can’t hear neither anymore so don’t matter

bowhunter269, barney, jblack1 and 3 others like this.
  11. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Squirrels tend to make 3-5 hops then stop. Unless 2 are chasing each other, then it sounds like a buck chasing a doe. If you hear the leaves loud and clear chances are it is a squirrel. Doe leaf crunching is very light sounding and sometimes you don't hear them at all until they are 20 yards from you. During the rut, bucks tend to make a ton of leaf noise. It is almost as if they are dragging their front hooves in the leaves as they walk. Their noise will be more consistent without the pauses. Turkeys are the loudest of all, but can get your blood pumping thinking a buck is chasing a doe. When all else fails, always check and see what the noise is. If you hunt a spot long enough, you will almost know the squirrel from previous encounters and their location to you.

theprofessor likes this.
  12. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    I watched five does in the last :30 or so and all this seems right on.

13. Jason1977

Jason1977 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2009
    I can pretty well distinguish squirrel vs. deer these days...rarely even turn and look when I hear the squirrel rustling in the leaves...but I've come to realize that a turkey feeding and scratching along in the woods sounds a bit more "deerish" than I realized.

14. invasion36

invasion36 10 pointer

Aug 29, 2013
    Kenton Co
    I hate turkeys more than squirrels. They get my blood pumping till I hear a few purrs or clucks.

15. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I have more trouble with turkeys walking than squirrels as well. Especially 6-7 hens just walking quietly through the woods. I have been stood up and clipped on more times than I can count on a group of turkeys.