squirrel season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by kentuckyoutdoorsman, Aug 17, 2011.

1. kentuckyoutdoorsman

kentuckyoutdoorsman 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2011
    shepherdsville
    anybody going squirrel hunting this weekend

2. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    I'll be out in the woods this Saturday morning. Been seeing LOTS of Squirrels here!

3. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    I really hope to be. I have the savage 24 all ready to go but I have to have a tooth pulled this morn (thur) so I guess I will just see how it goes. I will definatlly be out there next weekend when my 4yr old son is here. It will be his first hunting trip and I am so excited to get out there with him!!!!!:D

4. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    might be a soggy weekend from what i watched on the news!

5. kentuckyoutdoorsman

kentuckyoutdoorsman 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2011
    shepherdsville
    went sat and sun mornings saw two sat shot one nothing sunday

6. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Been seeing lots & lots of "Small" Gray Squirrels. Anyone else seeing lots of younger Squirrels thus far, in their hunting areas??

7. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Went last night and saw one. Very quickly I remembered why I haven't squirrel hunted in early season in many years. Man it was hot. I was drenched. Wife and daughter had soccer practice so I took my boy out. For some reason he confused sitting still with sitting down and playing samurai with a stick.

I didn't find any hickory nuts or pig nut. checked out a pine and walnut stand and no luck there. I left scratching my head. Might give it another try for a morning hunt though.

8. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    I am starting to think this year's Squirrel Season isn't all that great! Went this morning, got into the woods early, but only saw five Squirrels and they were in the Pines. I thought there were more Hickory Nuts & Acorns but that turned out not to be the case. I did shoot one Squirrel but couldn't find it anywhere. I looked carefully for 45 minutes but the area of my woods is so "Trashed-Up" by the 2009 Ice Storm & under growth so thick it is impossible to hunt Squirrels in most of my woods. My Brother hunted another area of our property but had no luck only seeing two Squirrels and he said they weren't big enough to shoot......."I MISS my hunting spots in Southern Indiana"!! There I could always count on atleast three Squirrels per outing.

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Guess what I had for dinner last night?

[​IMG]

10. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
  11. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Evidently I was not the only was getting hot. Here's how my boy came out after a decent walk through a corn field.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011