Squirrel Rig Flat Horn

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by aaronc, Feb 21, 2020.

1. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

Johnson's Paste Wax,.....
    ,........as far as "fixing"....they may need to be sanded and refinished basically like wood. I can't say without seeing them.

After I get done scrimshawing I also use a good coat of Renaissance Wax,.....still not known by a lot of people but you won't read anything bad about it on the net,....it's been around about a decade or more. Everybody carries it now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Renaissa...MI5OeGk7Kn6AIViv7jBx0lqQ_KEAQYAiABEgInZfD_BwE

KY Swamp Beagler and barney like this.
  2. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    One had some damage around the mouthpiece that was causing a loss of sound/pressure. I fixed it with clear J.B. Weld. It’s a small horn, but is loud - made by a dairy farmer down in Texas that passed around 1930 according to his granddaughter. I’ll have to put it back in service. The other one I have was made around the early 1900s. I’ll keep it on the shelf and admire it.

aaronc likes this.
  3. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

Here is a guy that makes one on occasion,........I really don't know of anybody else that regularly produces them but I'm sure there are some. He has posted several in the past of equal quality,..this is his most recent post/make of one.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=58583.0

4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    That’s a sharp blowing horn. I’ve yet to run across one like that. The ones I’ve been getting are all still mostly in the rough. It’s a 50/50 chance that the person selling them on eBay thinks its a powder horn and had it labeled as such. I wish they all came with a story though.

aaronc likes this.
  5. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Nice work Aaron, looks great!

aaronc likes this.