Squirrel dogs

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Woodsman68, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Woodsman68

Woodsman68 Fawn

Oct 10, 2020
    Kentucky
    Just wanting to see how many on here hunt with squirrel dogs? Also, comment with what you hunt Feist, Cur etc

2. oaktreeplanter

oaktreeplanter Fawn

Jul 29, 2018
    Marshall County
    Hey Woodsman,
    I've hunted squirrels with dogs for years now and still enjoy it. We've treed them with every breed imaginable too. Right now my best squirrel dog is a Bluetick Coonhound. My daughter has a good treeing cur and we have a couple of Mountain feists that can get the job done. It's one of the best ways that I've found to hunt with other people and dogs for the purpose of hunting together and enjoying it at the same time. Besides that there are plenty of squirrels in every part of the state and large tracts of timber aren't necessary. It is a win win situation!

Woodsman68 likes this.
  3. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I love all good squirrel dogs ,my pic would be mt. feist .I’m just not able to follow one through the hills.

Woodsman68 and barney like this.
  4. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I've never considered hunting Squirrels with a dog. Hunting my old Squirrel Hunting spots in SW Indiana, never once heard of Squirrel Hunting with a dog, by other Squirrel Hunters. Must be more popular down here in Kentucky then in Indiana.

Woodsman68 likes this.
  5. Woodsman68

Woodsman68 Fawn

Oct 10, 2020
    Kentucky
    I haven’t had a squirrel dog in probably ten years. I have competition hunted squirrel dogs coon hounds and beagles. I’m getting a cur pup in the spring. I’m ready to get back at it! Squirrel hunting with a dog and Turkey hunting are my favorite in that order.