Squirrel dog

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by east_ky_hunter, Nov 29, 2020.

1. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    East Ky
    Hunted with a dog with my papaw and it's a blast. His dog is gone now but I'd like to get another for us to hunt. I don't have another dog to train with so I'd like to get one somewhat started already. What kind of money should I expect to spend?

2. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Well they usually take American dollars. But in some parts of east Kentucky, Xanax bars or Methadone wafers are the currency of choice. Sorry, couldn’t resist. I have no idea what a good, started squirrel dog would cost. I’ll be interested to see what those in the know have to say.

3. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

400-800 should get you a started dog. $800-$6500 for a finished hound.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    As soon as I paid $6500 for a dog, it'd get hit by a car.

cedar ridge, Gooser and dirtstalker like this.
  5. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

I gave $1500 for a Busher Bred male. He was a dam good dog! Hunted him hard for 3 or 4 seasons. He got bit by a bad tick and ended up having to put him down. I had a lot of fun with that ol dog.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    A good bred pup will start treeing on its own. Nothing required but some time in the woods.

7. grinder

grinder 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Id get a pup, raise and train your self, have as a friend as well. Hard to ever get that bond with a grown dog. Most any breed will get after squirrels, just study up on how to train one.

barney likes this.
  8. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Well bred pup $300 to $500 started dog $500 to $1200 finished dog $1200 to $5000

Word of advice do research on the different bloodlines and if ya buy a pup get it from a reputable breeder, lot of puppy mills out there. If possible hunt with the parent . If ya buy a started or finished dog hunt with it dont take a persons word for what it does. Saying that not because they could be dishonest but because started dog and finished dog means different things to just about everybody you talk to. Lot of good folks in the squirrel hunting with dogs world but still some bad apples. Several breeders of good dogs located in ky. I can give ya a few references of honest dog men with well bred dogs over that way if it would help ya any

hotdog, bondhu, Dark Cloud and 2 others like this.
  9. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I’d say right here is some excellent advice from someone who knows their stuff!

hotdog, Luther's Feist and barney like this.
  10. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    And there is certainly a difference between dogs that “go after squirrels” and squirrel dogs. You’d be better served to stick with dogs that are bred from a family of squirrel dogs.

What I mean by that is not a one hit wonder that learned to tree squirrels, but a dog that came from a family of squirrel dogs. Were the sire and dam squirrel dogs? Are the littermates squirrel dogs or progressing towards that?

Popular squirrel dog breeds in KY are Curs and Feists. I’d start with those two breeds first.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Luther's Feist and barney like this.
  11. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Had a guy on here once came to hunt squirrels. I was amazed at how them dogs just knew where the squirrels where. Lot of times they would tree and I was like there’s no squirrels! And he’d shake a vine and squall and out would run a squirrel from a hiding spot. You could easily get hooked if you had dogs like that. We would no sooner pick up the dead squirrel and be talking about that hunt and they’d be treed couple hundred yards away. Crazy fun. Dogs are so amazing.

12. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    Spent 10 years breeding raising and training squirrel dogs. Had to give it up due to health problems. Still keep up with lots of people and their dogs and made several lifelong friends from around the country fooling with squirrel dogs. Cant help out to much in the cur dogs but can tell ya alot about several different lines of feist

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    bondhu, barney, RLWEBB and 1 other person like this.
  13. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I’ll bet you can!!!

Luther's Feist likes this.
  14. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    And a fiest and a cur hunt totally different. Do your research on the style of hunting your after. My dog was half feist half cur so I really did have the best of both worlds.

Feedman, bondhu and barney like this.
  15. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
    What is the difference in the way these 2 breeds hunt squirrels? I have been on a couple hunts w a friend who has a cur ... I have really enjoyed watching this dog do his thing...amazing how much difference a dog makes in the way you go about hunting for squirrels... 1st time I went w my friend who has the cur dog... I was thinking this dog really isn’t all that I had hoped for... and by the end of the afternoon.. I was thinking WOW..I need me a squirrel dog just like my buddies...blew me away.. I love hunting squirrels w my buddy and his dog...it’s a great time

Luther's Feist likes this.