Springfield xds 9 or s&w shield 9

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by johnky, Feb 3, 2016.

1. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Hard to believe the 1911's would be as popular as they are if the masses didn't like a grip safety. I have to problem with them whatsoever. I carry a Springfield 9 Sub-compact. 16 +1 with the extended mag.

2. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Same here. I've carried the XDS 45 auto, which is the same as the 9mm model, ever since they first came out and I love the gun. I have put thousands of rounds though it since I got it and never had any problems. The palm safety has never given me one problem.

Go try them both. You need a gun that FITS your hand. For me the XDS fits prefect but might not for you.

3. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  4. TopPin

TopPin Fawn

Aug 27, 2008
    I chose the Shield because I do like the safety. I have owned an XD, and never had any issues with the safety engaging - just preferred the Shield. Go put your hands on both and weigh the pros/cons. Have fun, be safe and always carry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Not comfortable to me and I think it is just a matter of knowing it is there. I don't like them on the 1911 either, which is a really cool iconic gun, but unless it is given to me I'll never own one for two reasons I have absolutely no practical use for it and it has that dang grip safety.
    Side note on it I actually shot my neighbors .40 xd again today and I grabbed my shooting gloves I use with my .454 and really didn't notice the grip safety clearing leather or while engaging targets for what it's worth.

6. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Over on the Springfield talk forums one reason some people do not like the palm safety is the "limp-wrist shooting". Some people like to shoot that way and a palm safety requires one to manhandle that gun, you have to grip it in full so the safety works like it's suppose to. I have limp-wristed shot 22lr and large frame 9mm but a 40 and 45 you have to grip them like a man. The first time I limp-wristed a 45 was the last time it will ever happen, it will teach you how it needs to be handled.

7. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    hahahaha grab ahold of that .454 with a limp wrist if you want but you won't do it again!

8. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    I preface this with I am not a pistol guy......... BUT the only pistol I can shoot accurately is the Springfield XD. Have one in 45 and 9. I guess its like everything else, if it fits shoot it......

9. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Yeah RD you hit it on the head. Pistol are not one size fits all.