Springfield xds 9 or s&w shield 9

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by johnky, Feb 3, 2016.

1. johnky

johnky 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2011
    Loretto ky
    Going to be picking up one soon.Pros and cons of both, and how do you like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    I would go with the xd,just from reviews.and a buddy of mine had a shield and had to send it back.xd,seems to be more accurate from reviews also,and another friend of mine has a xd and loves it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  3. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Shield IMO. XDS has the dreaded grip safety which I would never use on any CCW. Personal preference. I've seen too many in speed drills fail to go boom when a grip is not right.

If they got rid of the silly safety, or if it was just for going to the range with, I'd like it.

4. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    XDS for me. I've used several XDs in competitions as well as casual plinking and never had a single issue with the grip safety. I personally wouldn't hesitate to use one for protection based on that. Nothing really wrong with the Smith, but the Springfield works better for me.

5. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    I carry an xds personally but I don't think you could go wrong with either of those choices. Go handle both of them and see which one fits you better and buy that one with confidence.

6. Southpaw

Southpaw 10 pointer

Oct 2, 2005
    Northern Ky
    I carry a shield 9mm. I have no complaints. Mine is model without safety. Very accurate. Im not a fan of the grip safety either. Both are great pistols. Its all about what feels right.

7. johnky

johnky 8 pointer

Apr 5, 2011
    Loretto ky
    I keep reading reviews and most of them say it's a coin toss between them.

8. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    I'm just giving personal experience,shield had to be sent back but that is not uncommon with a lot of guns,the xd my friend has is very accrue and he likes it better than his glock,we were shooting awhile back and a guy was shooting his glock,he went and bought a xd the next weekend...that's all the experience I have with em,I liked the way the xd handle and shot better also..and the guy with the xd,and so have a shield also..goodluck.

9. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Both are nice but I personally love having the palm safety on the XDs. I don't know how you can possibly mess up and not have in pushed in when shooting. I don't like packing without a safety and this is the perfect solution because you don't have to think about pushing it off. The XDS is a very nice gun and shoots well.

10. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Like I said, personal preference. On carry weapons, I am just not a fan of extra safety systems. Not ones I can turn on and off and definitely not mechanical ones that I have no ability to override. Not when my life or the life of my family may depend on it. Just more things that can go wrong.

I owned an XD45. Good shooting gun. Liked it a lot. But as I said, I would not carry one due to the added mechanical complexity and another level of possible failure. I personally think these safeties were not needed and were designed by products liability lawyers. Best safety I have every come across is a great kydex holster that covers the trigger assembly totally and that you never take out of the holster unless firing or cleaning. From safe to inside the belt, mine stay in the holster.

If I were looking at other single stacks today, as much as I like the Shield and Glock, I may recommend the new versions of the Ruger LC9s. For my tastes the LC9S Pro. For the price, it may not be beat. If I was not already set in that caliber, I would get one. I may still get one for my wife since it may be the best all around option in the category, IMO.

11. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Shield 9mm for me. I also despise the grip safety. Had my shield for over a year now never a problem eats anything I feed it.

12. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Wife and I both carry shield 9s. I like them, have had zero issues. I'm not a fan of the grip safety and am a fan of the whole line of M&Ps. It's a Chevy vs Ford both are quality guns.

13. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Do the guys that don't like the palm safety actually used them or just the thought of it? It's mechanical but so is a trigger or internal safety. I haven't seen anyone shoot a pistol unless it's in their grip so how's that an issue? I think people are getting hung up on some failure that's not going to happen any more than the trigger breaking off when you pull it.

Just go look at one and handle it and if you can shoot one. You may hate it but don't let the idea of a safety feature is destined to get you killed. This is something I read on every gun forum and I think people just parrot what others say.

I remember a guy getting shot by his Glock as he got out of a car so I would bet there are accidents than can happen with non safety guns that wouldn't have happened. I personally will not pack a gun stuffed down my pants that cocked, locked, and ready to rock, with out a safety. Every gun I ever owned has one and its never caused me to miss a shot. I don't feel I am putting myself in danger if I ever need it in a life and death situation. Like I said , you can't shoot the gun unless you are holding it so the palm safety is not going to be an issue unless you are someone who holds the gun by the barrel or something when you shoot it.

14. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Yes I have shot several. My neighbor still has one and we shoot together regularly out back. My cousin also has an XDM that I have shot a few times. They are quality guns no doubt, but like I said I despise the grip safety.

15. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Why do you not like it? I hear people say that but is it just from the idea or has it cause some personal problems?

There are cases of guns going off in worn leather holsters and being caught on a jacket zipper as well or being dropped.

Personally I like more assurance when I have a loaded gun pointed at my femoral artery.