Springfeild xds. Xdm

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bucksnducks, Nov 16, 2014.

1. bucksnducks

bucksnducks Spike

Mar 26, 2007
    berea
    Im currently lookung buy a hand gun im looking at the xd's. What is the diffrence in the xds and the xdm. Um just looking for a hand gun just recreational shooting and and carry gor the xd owners which one do you suggest

2. Dubya Gee

Dubya Gee 8 pointer

Apr 10, 2012
    Snow, KY
    XDS is a 3.3 inch slim profile XD designed for concealed carry. Considerably slimmer profile due to being single stack. If you are looking for one to conceal a large amount of the time, definitely go with the XDS. Purpose built and does it very well, IMO.

If you by used, make sure the recall work has been done already. If you buy new, no worries.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  3. Drew6859

Drew6859 Fawn

Jul 13, 2014
    Eastern ky
    Had an XDM in .40 cal I preferred to carry and shoot it over my glock it was a great shooting pistol.

4. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    I have the XDs in 45 and use it as my carry gun. It's much more accurate than I thought and I love the thing.

On a note,

They have just now come out with a brand new XD, not every store has it yet, but you should take a good look at that one if you can find it.

5. Dubya Gee

Dubya Gee 8 pointer

Apr 10, 2012
    Snow, KY

X2 for me!!!

6. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    The XDS and XDSC (sub-compact) are tight shooting, great handling, and absolutely disappear under a sport coat or hoodie. Awesome carry gun!

7. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I have both and they are both great guns. It depends on how you want to use them. I wouldn't want to conceal the full size XDM. Its a full size gun. The XDS is small and easy to conceal but will not be as good for target shooting. Buy both and you have it covered.

8. bucksnducks

bucksnducks Spike

Mar 26, 2007
    berea
    Thanks you all for the info

9. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  10. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I carry the XD 9mm sub-compact often. 16 + 1 in the extended mag. 12 + 1 in the flush fit.

The Range Officer compact does look interesting though .........................

11. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    Am I the only one that doesn't like the XDS? I got rid of mine as quick as I could. Hated the grip. If I had to compare the experience, I would say it was like shooting an ultralight .38 +P with squared off plastic grips. Mine had several FTEs with multiple types of ammo too.
    I know theres a lemon in every bunch, but even if it didn't have the ejection problems, it just didn't fit my hand right and was very uncomfortable.

hope your experience is better.

12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    The only experience I have with Springfield is with their 1911's. So really can't provide much input on the XDM or the XDS other than their obvious difference in size. Springfield makes a fine firearm as do many other manufactures and much beyond that it's just a Ford vs. Chevy debate.

Which regardless of brand ....size is going to be important for its intended purpose. As such .. you mention recreational shooting and carry. Honestly that's a hard mix to blend the two together and the reason I have many different types of handguns.

A medium to larger framed gun is going to be more enjoyable to shoot and your more inclined to be more accurate due to the longer sight radius. In turn the smaller / compact pocket pistols their going to more concealable and overall easier to carry but very well may not be a gun you want shoot a ton of rounds through. The shorter sight radius and smaller grip area will affect accuracy somewhat. Otherwords their a gun for intended purpose... defensive , close range use.

Which I'm just pointing that out and the rest is up to the individual.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk